Page 37 of 43 FirstFirst ... 27333435363738394041 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by thirdfalcon View Post
    Looking at the diagram, we've got the movie Avengers in the center, with four rows of going around it. I don't think that the bigger circles with rings around them mean leadership necessarily just that they fill a vital role overall. In Cap's case it means he's the leader, then Ironman would be the tech guy, Eden Fensi is the teleporter, hard to say with Cap Universe because it's powers differ between incarnations, but this team is lacking a Telepath and a Mystic, so maybe that is a clue for the two vacant big circles.
    Hmm..do you mean that they are characters that are central to the plot? That can't be right, Hyperion is shown in a foreshadowed event during the second page and doesn't have a double ring.
    Do you mean they have some sort of niche and pop out from the background from time to time to offer some unique service? I guess, but why do they need to highlight that on the diagram? Does that make people like Banner unimportant?

That's why I think leadership makes the most sense. It's direct and easy to convey. Highlighting some guy that can teleport leaves me with a "so what" type of feeling. Also, I'm willing to bet that Captain Universe will lead the team she is in. I don't know, we'll see how this goes.

I'm guessing the placement of logos in the ring diagram will change, depending on the story.

Overall, I found this issue just plain odd. It's not bad, really. Just odd. The Avengers are faced with a threat down the line, with the primary team being the movie team. If the solicitations are any indication, we're going to see them gather the rest of the team over the next few issues. If that's the case, why not just start there? Show us why these individuals are needed, what specific skills got them on the team, and have the revolving team idea that Tony mentions. Then get to a threat so big that the entire roster is needed. It just makes for an odd read, at least for me, to present it this way.

So, along with that, the lack of information on the supposed villains, and the lack of meat to the story so far leave me a bit wanting. I'm still intrigued by the team, and by upcoming events referenced within the comic, but I could certainly have enjoyed this issue a lot more.

I'm a little confused by the logos. The only one that stumps me is Cannonball, but I figure he has to be the brick wall-looking icon since I think I can assign all the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Acro View Post
    Overall, I found this issue just plain odd. It's not bad, really. Just odd. The Avengers are faced with a threat down the line, with the primary team being the movie team. If the solicitations are any indication, we're going to see them gather the rest of the team over the next few issues. If that's the case, why not just start there? Show us why these individuals are needed, what specific skills got them on the team, and have the revolving team idea that Tony mentions. Then get to a threat so big that the entire roster is needed. It just makes for an odd read, at least for me, to present it this way.

So, along with that, the lack of information on the supposed villains, and the lack of meat to the story so far leave me a bit wanting. I'm still intrigued by the team, and by upcoming events referenced within the comic, but I could certainly have enjoyed this issue a lot more.

I'm a little confused by the logos. The only one that stumps me is Cannonball, but I figure he has to be the brick wall-looking icon since I think I can assign all the rest.
    I think the reason why it's odd is that it reads more like an outline/road map of what Jonathan's going to do with the book than your typical recruitment issues which tend to have a tried and true formula to them and people are really accustomed to.

It breaks from the mold but in doing that it also loses a lot of potential character development but with this first issue's narrative intro out of the way hopefully we'll see a more personal view of the team and perhaps even see flashbacks of the recruitment process inter-cut between the story. If it was up to me I'd have made this first issue double or extra sized to accommodate both the new threats and the recruitment process and then go full on out after that's all established but I'll certainly be interested in seeing Hickman's own approach to this new big team and whether it'll work out well.

After reading Thunderbolts, I'm glad Hickman just threw us in the deep end of the pool, instead of showing the recruitment.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    After reading Thunderbolts, I'm glad Hickman just threw us in the deep end of the pool, instead of showing the recruitment.
    Yeah some writers can do them well, others simply don't do them as effectively.

It's a necessary evil since you have to show the team building at some point but I think there are ways to do it without absolutely crushing the pacing. Daniel Way's writing tends to be very slow and deliberate (a.k.a decompressed) so it kind of just compounds the problem of getting over that hump.

iFanboy posted this image with their speculations regarding the symbols. think they got it right...
    PaperArt
    XPOTM, 6/12

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Sonic View Post
    iFanboy posted this image with their speculations regarding the symbols. think they got it right...
    Looks pretty spot on.

Some are kind of hard to boil down to a simple logo though, like Cannonball's could have easily been Sunspot's and Shang Chi's is harder to decipher if you didn't know the symbol previously.

If Falcon "doesn't deserve" to be a part of this, neither do Cap, Widow, Hawkeye and any other "essentially" human member..

BANNED

I think that image may have cannonball and Sunspot mixed.

Don't know if its already been said, but didn't the smashers girlfriend/wife take his place after he got killed in astonishing x-men? I'm guessing that's who it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Sonic View Post
    Definitely got Sunspot and Cannonball mixed up, otherwise that's my guess as well. Sunspot's was an easy recognition - those're literally his spots.
    sunspot. magik. magma. kid loki. kitty. karma. frost.
    Deviantart

Your intellectual savior thirdfalcon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Voss View Post
    Hmm..do you mean that they are characters that are central to the plot? That can't be right, Hyperion is shown in a foreshadowed event during the second page and doesn't have a double ring.
    Do you mean they have some sort of niche and pop out from the background from time to time to offer some unique service? I guess, but why do they need to highlight that on the diagram? Does that make people like Banner unimportant?

That's why I think leadership makes the most sense. It's direct and easy to convey. Highlighting some guy that can teleport leaves me with a "so what" type of feeling. Also, I'm willing to bet that Captain Universe will lead the team she is in. I don't know, we'll see how this goes.
    Not people that are central to the plot per say, people that are strategically important.

Lawn-mowing Enthusiast EuphemismForSex's Avatar

I'd agree that the people with double rings would be plot significant.

Hyperion's panel in the prologue is showing an event that already happened, so he doesn't necessarily need a double ring.

Captain Universe, Iron Man and Captain America on the other hand, by their natures, should be relevant to future stories. Manifold may or may not have a link to the character who wears the same symbol in Hickman's New Avengers, so there's a possible storyline there.

Captain Universe and Manifold have no business leading Avenger's teams, so I doubt they're leaders. Also consider the fact that Iron-Man's and Captain America's branches on the roster lead to two other double ringed characters at the very top and very bottom, and I don't think they'd need two leaders for a team.
    Last edited by EuphemismForSex; 12-09-2012 at 03:42 PM.
    Bad news everyone...

Quote Originally Posted by nosocialize100 View Post
    My main complaint, which I point out in my review, is Thor is underutilized and we once again we get a mind controlled Hulk beating up (of all people) Thor. That's been done what...50 times?
    i almost expect when the Avengers movie sequel is released Marvel is to going to reveal some Hulk cross over event (since he was the break out star of the first film) with him beating up all the heroes and have Thor as the main event.