Page 13 of 43 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo_Tomasi View Post
    Looks like you actually have this right. The 'H' symbol is for Hawkeye, not the 'bullseye' as some others have said.
    There seems to be quite a bit of confusion regarding the bullseye and H symbols. One has to be Hawkeye and one has to be Hulk. I figured bullseye equals Clint and H equals Hulk. How do you associate the concentric circles with Bruce?

Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tingray View Post
    I don't know what some of you guys want.
    A good comic. This was a good comic....but it wasn't worth the $4 to me.

I will say the characterization was spot on. Cap hung back until everyone from Black Widow to Thor was clobbered, then slung his shield, made a speech, and got clobbered like the rest of them. And then the villain just sent him back out.

Veteran Member Juggernaut Punch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B. Kuwanger View Post
    A good comic. This was a good comic....but it wasn't worth the $4 to me.

I will say the characterization was spot on. Cap hung back until everyone from Black Widow to Thor was clobbered, then slung his shield, made a speech, and got clobbered like the rest of them. And then the villain just sent him back out.
    Thats still a hell of a lot better than Cap walking up to Nihilo and telling him that he knows terraforming better than him and that if he doesn't let him handle it, he'll get arrested.

Just read it, and while I think it was a pretty good issue, I'm not getting the whole grandiose, epic spectacle that some are claiming. Opena's art is very nice though I feel doesn't blend well for this type of tale. In my view, it seems Hickman tried to fit quite a few things in here without really saying much at all, besides portraying the need for roster expansion through some type of random event that took place on Mars. Perhaps this issue just fell victim to the Marvel hype machine. We get yet another Hulk-gets-mind-controlled-and-clocks-Thor-unconscious. The antagonists of the story just appear out of nowhere and you don't get any real backstory on the reason for the Avengers to traverse space to confront them. I'll give issue #2 a shot but I hope that Hickman brings a bit more clarity to the plot rather than relying on vague slogans and halfhearted action scenes to advance the story.

The Alpha and The Omega Godlike13's Avatar

This was excellent .

The book was good, but not as good as I thought it would be. I enjoyed this weeks Iron Man much more actually. The problem here is the hype. Too much hype raises expectation and the final product, while good, ends up being a letdown. This was just the opening issue though, so a certain amount of setup is expected. The first six issues will give us a better idea of the series scope. Expecially since there will be 24 members by issue #7. Good thing this comes out every two weeks so we dont have to wait for the slow burn. I just wish there was a bit more to it. My worry is that with 24 members we wont get great in depth character moments. Only time will tell.

I thought it was a good start for my first Avengers in almost a decade.

Lots of setup for the bad guys, which I thought was nice. It seems like one of Marvel's problems of late is that the villains are so cookie-cutter/one-dimensional. I think that's part of why the heroes have become the bad guys so often. I thought it was interesting that the main bad guy's symbol appears to be an omega while the lackey is "Aleph." Different alphabets, but that says the begining and the end to me. Considering we get the new issue in two weeks, an issue of setup also doesn't stick out quite as much (and it's not like nothing happened in the issue to boot -- the Avengers did get their asses kicked).

I liked the symbols -- very LSH, and one of my favorite aspects of that series. I'm looking forwrd to looking at them again and figuring out who goes with what. (Or, you know, reading the rest of this thread.) Ironic that the guys I like least on the team are all linked to my least-favorite core Avenger (i.e. Iron Man). Bit baffled why the new guy would be linked to Hawkeye -- did they ever meet in Secret Warriors? (And FWIW, target equals Hawkeye to me too; just don't see that being Bruce's symbol.)

I was surprised to see some of the new characters already assembling, such as the new Smasher and Capt. Universe. I think that was a bit of a letdown, actually, since I really am curious about the unrevealed new characters. I wonder how long it'll take to get to them.

Oh, and while I like the last picture, where the heck is Cannonball going it? It's not like he can just float there with his power active (unless that's some new power stunt he's learned).

Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar

That Sam is a wild one.

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    vague slogans and halfhearted action scenes
    YUP, that was this comic. It bothers me since the final roster is 24, and we didn't get much with the six used. I'm hoping that the decompression becomes less of a problem but I think it's easy to make worse with double shipping.

This thing will probably sell 300K copies.
    Last edited by B. Kuwanger; 12-05-2012 at 02:09 PM.

If this is standard Hickman stuff it will get real goofy real soon and nothing will make sense. This book sort of felt that way.

One thing i do HATE the tremendously boring Stark reacting to some big thing comings, that's pretty much all he does now. How about the dude just building some cool stuff because he just thought it was a good idea?

By the way, the only character I'm completely unfamiliar with is Manifold. What exactly is his power set?

Quote Originally Posted by J/O/J/O View Post
    So did I but I think for different reasons.
    Let's get a scan of that.

(Why yes, I've got a morbid curiousity.)

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut Punch View Post
    Thats still a hell of a lot better than Cap walking up to Nihilo and telling him that he knows terraforming better than him and that if he doesn't let him handle it, he'll get arrested.
    Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    If this is standard Hickman stuff it will get real goofy real soon and nothing will make sense. This book sort of felt that way.

One thing i do HATE the tremendously boring Stark reacting to some big thing comings, that's pretty much all he does now. How about the dude just building some cool stuff because he just thought it was a good idea?
    I completely agree with you. I miss the days where Stark wasnt as big as he is now. (popularity and ego lol) He used to just sit in his armory and tinker and create for fun and learning. Now hes the futurist visionary that will save the universe.

Agent of SHIELD/SWORD marvelprince's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tingray View Post
    By the way, the only character I'm completely unfamiliar with is Manifold. What exactly is his power set?
    He's Eden Fesi from Hickman's Secret Warriors. He can bend reality to do things like teleport.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Kuwanger View Post
    That Sam is a wild one.

YUP, that was this comic. It bothers me since the final roster is 24, and we didn't get much with the six used. I'm hoping that the decompression becomes less of a problem but I think it's easy to make worse with double shipping.

This thing will probably sell 300K copies.
    Technically, it was a nice set-up issue albeit rather plain. This could very well be an excellent TPB read.