Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Thunderbolts #1 *Spoilers*

Alright, I just downloaded Thunderbolts! As soon as I finish reading I'll Give you all my impression, and provide links to three other professional reviews!

Story:

spoilers:
    These events are all interspersed as Ross and Frank talk (Ross and Frank are the 'A' story here), but for the sake of linearity I'll just recap each characters events:

Frank: We being with Frank tied up a warehouse talking with Ross (the preview pages), as he snaps a photo of Frank tied up next to some boxes being shipped by the mob. Ross talks about how he's been in the business of war for over 50 years, but how it was never personal. Just business....except for his dealings with the Hulk. As he's talking, we see him in a flashback; he's inside a command center watching video of a pink haired lady fight, but lose to the Hulk. She's taken back to some room and held captive.

Eventually, Ross frees her. Back in the warehouse, Ross talks about how his emotions and his abilities were separated, and how he never wanted them united, because he didn't want to become "...well, what I've become." We're treated to a nice shot of Ross looking forlorn with his shadow being the looming Red Hulk. Ross commends Frank on his commitment to the decision he made long ago to be the vigilante he is. Ross checks his tablet, and see's that the mob is starting to swarm the exterior of his location (I guess he sent that incriminating photo at the beginning of their conversation).

There is an inordinate amount of mooks that show up, and Frank tells Ross that soon they'll get brave and come after him with all they've got, so he should hurry up and give him his sales pitch. Ross tells Frank he's interested in a partnership; Frank says he doesn't like his bargaining position. When Frank asks why, we get more stuff from the preview pages, where he asks why him, and Ross says "Because you understand.You know...better than anyone...that the infection cannot be cured. It has to be cut out. By those who can." For everyone worried, that preview page is indeed NOT the final page of the issue!

Ross reveals that the FBI approached him and his group and asked that he pass on all the data that had been compiled to their analysts, so that they could anticipate and arrest him. Ross says he told the FBI they'd help, but that they lied...they didn't want to anticipate Frank, they wanted to emulate his actions.

Frank slips his bonds (quit easily, I guess we're supposed to assume he could have gotten free at anytime). He acquires a gun and makes it seem like he's going to just leave and attempt to fight the mob on his own, to which Ross says that he doesn't have the firepower. Frank looks back at him and says that he does now, which is his way of accepting Ross's offer.

This also makes it seem like he knows that Ross is Rulk, as the next and ending shot is them in the middle of the mob just tearing through the group.

Flash: Ross recruits Flash in Somalia as he's fighting what we are to assume are terrorists; Ross tells Flash that he's recruiting.

Deadpool: Ross recruits Wade in France, as he's killing armed mimes. Ross is watching from a cafe table, eating a baguette and telling Wade that he's been watching him for decades. Ross points out that Wade volunteered for Weapon X and Oscar Zero, and tells him that he is looking for volunteers himself. We're treated to a nice shot of mimes all dead and bloody on the ground (those creepy bastards deserved it, I am sure).

Elektra: Ross is being stopped by some guards outside of double doors in Afghanistan, where they want to know his business. He tells them he's there for an appointment. The guards act all lascivious and tell him that the Sheik isn't done with a prior appointment yet, and as Ross tells him that he's not there to see the Sheik, both guards are stabbed in the head from inside the room they were guarding. Again, this next panel is from the preview pages, as the door opens to reveal Elektra, with the Sheik's gut sliced open. Elektra asks if she heard correctly about an offer.
    end of spoilers

Art:

I continue to be surprised by Dillon's art. It really isn't that bad; I've come to enjoy it, and now after reading the book I can't imagine anyone else as the artist.

Overall, I give this issue 3/5 stars. It was a really decent setup issue, and while Frank and Ross were very interesting, I wish they'd spent just a few more panels on the other characters (especially Flash, he has the shortest amount of time on panel).
    Last edited by TsaiMeLemoni; 12-05-2012 at 07:30 AM.

In my opinion it was 22 pages of setup/preview/first 5 minutes of a movie. Very hard to judge that, IMO, but it seemed rather slow and wasteful. It set things up, but that's about it. It didn't really give me a strong enough reason to care about the cast selected beyond what I already knew about them. I'll look over one other issue before making a decision on the subject. I'd give it 2/5. Less if just read solo, more if the opening arc is stronger. I'd rather review arcs than individual issues unless it's that all-to-rare-these-days done in one story.

Hopefully, that was not a spoiler-full reveiw.
    "Curse you, Occam's Razor! You have betrayed me!"

Reviewing is a lot like paleontology: the evidence is there, but no one seems to agree on it.

Not very good.
    1 out of 5 stars for the potential of getting better later.
    Win me over with the next 2 books , I want to love my thunderbolts again.
    Bring back Troll and Zemo later.

Hmm...I'm not sure....
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

Yeah, I think it'll be the second issue that really determines whether this book will be worth it, as that is when we'll finally get an idea of why this team has been assembled and what their mission is.

And I can't remember the poster, but for the one in the advance review thread that wanted to know if this book spoiled anything from Punisher War:Zone - Nope, not at all. I guess unless you were expecting Castle to be imprisoned at the end of the mini.

Did you enjoy it TsaiMeLemoni?
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

....mostly. I wasn't super impressed, but I don't really think it was bad either...just a lot of set-up, and I hope the second issue delivers.

Quote Originally Posted by TsaiMeLemoni View Post
    ....mostly. I wasn't super impressed, but I don't really think it was bad either...just a lot of set-up, and I hope the second issue delivers.
    Hmm, was Elektra's role big? Or was this just a 'opening' issue.

She pretty much just had what we saw in the preview pages. I think the thing that's keeping me optimistic right now is that the title double ships, so it'll only be a couple of weeks before we see if the series improves.

That's a good way to describe this, as an 'opening' issue.

Well I'm trying this, well, my friend is but I'm gonna read it too.

You'll have to let me know what you think :)

Quote Originally Posted by TsaiMeLemoni View Post
    You'll have to let me know what you think :)
    I'll PM you :)

Anyone know who the pink-haired woman is?
    mod of r/TheDark, for news and discussion of The Dark line and related titles.

Quote Originally Posted by Man-Thing View Post
    Anyone know who the pink-haired woman is?
    I read it from another article (I should find that link...), and it's apparently Mercy. I am not familiar with her at all.