Page 23 of 48 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiolino View Post
    People got what they wished for when they complained Marvel set out to completely villainize Cyclops. Now we're going to get an entire series about Cyclops feeling bad about everything.
    As if this has anything to do with what people wanted. This has to do with Marvel never committing fully to their stories. The PF was always going to be a cop-out for Cyke from the time you knew it was involved. That is why people get possessed, brainwashed, etc. so that they don't have to be fully responsible for their actions.

Marvel started Cyke on a road to being a Machiavellian character but instead of having him man up and say look I choked out Emma and killed Xavier because it was a necessary evil in order to serve the greater good, they used the plot device of the PF to give him some cover. That was always going to happen whether peole complained or not because it is what Marvel always does when they want a hero to do something bad.
    It's hard for me to listen to people not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

"Let me go first Lorna. I'm their freaking King!"

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Egg View Post
    Two things I think are obvious:

1. Emma/Cyke/Magneto's powers are screwing up at the time of this issue, but the point is that they come back under control more powerful.

2. Scott and Emma will be getting back together as part of Cyclops' redemption story.
    Scott needs to hook up with magik nuff said

Quote Originally Posted by GambitXRemy View Post
    We don't need another strong female character tamed by being Cyke's arm candy.
    It's hard for me to listen to people not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

"Let me go first Lorna. I'm their freaking King!"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GambitXRemy View Post
    Nah..thats unacceptable. She needs to be attracted to someone out of left field....like Monet or Domino.

Hell yes they should hook up just crazy sex buddies nothing more

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Moira said that Magnetos powers make him crazy. Also maybe he was aiming for Xorn = Magneto thing.
    Magneto's powers do cause his madness. Magneto confirms, he has indeed experienced madness. But that's not the point he was making to Scott. And since Xorn wasn't Magneto, that can't be what Magneto was aiming for. Look at the intro to the comic; Marvel itself is taking the stance that the Phoenix force "possessed" the P5, including Scott. Technically, he was possessed by another entity. The parallel to Magneto is, Magneto's brain is also definitely affected by the misuse, overuse of his powers. What Magneto was trying to say here is, as part of his attempt to change, to find a new path, he refuses to blame the "madness" for the things he did. (As a fan, I still do.) But Magneto refuses to give up responsibility for what he's done, and he's telling Scott to so the same thing. The point isn't whether or not Scott was possessed by the Phoenix- he was -- but that it was still him in there too, with his psychological makeup and his beliefs and his goals. He has to learn to live with what he did. Magneto lives with self-hatred, self-blame all the time, some of which goes back to when he was in the Sonderkommando, maybe even the death of his family. It was very easy for him the last time he was trying to recover from his earlier psychotic breaks (New Mutants days), to divide himself from the crazy, deadly sh*t he did, to say, *I couldn't help it, I was out of my head at the time.* Even if it's technically mostly true, Magneto from a philosophical, moral point of view, can't do that any more. He refuses to do that any more.

When I first read this dialog I was a little perturbed, but then I realized what Bendis is doing is showing us that Magneto has been sincere, that he's moved to a different plane. This isn't "Michael Xavier" 2.0, doomed to failure. What Magneto's trying to tell Scott is, don't try to "double" yourself to spare yourself the responsibility for your actions. Doubling is an effective, temporary defense mechanism, but can't hold for long.

At the same time, we've posted countless words talking about the importance of Magneto's powers to Magneto. Deep inside, he'll always be the skinny Auschwitz prisoner behind barbed wire, covered in the ashes of the dead; his powers make him something different, someone with POWER who can never be controlled or imprisoned again. What we saw in ANXM #3 was actually Magneto being honest. Magneto doesn't play games and pretend about his feelings. But his anger is contained, when he levels with Scott. He still respects Scott, and will still follow him, but he expects Scott to do something about the situation. It was more of a family squabble than a schism.

I thought Magneto's speech to Summers was very well done. Just the right amount of kicking Cyke in the ass to get him over himself, a little bit of threat, a lot of personal experience and wisdom. It was the verbal equivalent of a slap in the face and "Snap out it, get it together!" But it also revealed a lot about Magneto's developments as a character, in my opinion.

Oh, and I think there is definitely a distinct interaction between the Phoenix Force blasting him, and the fact that his powers were jump-started by Celestial brain-parts. Magneto is in a unique position; but I have no idea if this is where Bendis is going with the powers changing thing.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    nah illyana was great in this issue. i loved how she took her sweet time coming to pick up the crew. and then she was all like, "i feel great! powers are amazing. sorry you guys are all messed up."
    I totally agree. And I don't think "Yummy" is out of character. It's so sugary that when Magik uses the word, it becomes instantly disturbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Optic Rage View Post
    Jeez, i can't believe i had to drudge myself through all those posts arguing about power levels/adjustments. Who cares? That stuff will obviously explained down the road.

The dialogue/characterization obviously had issues, so I've adjusted my expectations of what to expect from the characters under Bendis long ago(as in, they won't sound anything like they normally do) i'm not sure why people are complaining about Cyclops showing emotion...he's not always a robot.

Emma was terrible, i lol'ed a lot at her lines. She's get the victim act down to perfection. Hopefully we won't see too much more of that because she was laughably bad in this issue.

I dunno, i enjoyed it? I was amused and entertained and i laughed a bit.
    I enjoyed it a lot.

Do you think Emma's portrayal is deliberate though? I thought all her complaints came down to one thing (which stood out, for me anyway): Scott betrayed her, tried to choke her and stole her Phoenix powers. She was using the other things Scott did only as ammunition in her break-up recriminations. Emma is no hypocrite -- she knows what she did while under the Phoenix influence. I didn't get the impression she was trying to pass blame, but she was hurt and angry and probably a little scared and lashed out at Scott.

This is the cool, collected, ultra competent E-Team, and everything temporarily goes haywire as they have to adjust to new realities. I've been reading X-Men comics for a long time, and hasn't Scott had his emotional times before? He represses his emotions a lot, but sometimes it all comes out in a wash. And I think his world is about to get further f**ked up as the O5 confront him next issue.

Maybe the haughty British ice-queen demeanor was part of Emma's act, too, so maybe this is just another persona she's using to express her anger. (It seemed to me she was purposely channeling Wolverine! Like, she was imitating Logan to express her real anger at Summers.)

And sorry for the lack of Multiple Quotes; I am reading and responding indiscriminately. Sorry.

The Alpha and The Omega Godlike13's Avatar

I enjoyed it. Not as much as the first 2, but still not too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by yanapryde View Post
    I got my copy. The yummy line worked. As did the time-out question.
    And, if you wanted an in-verse reason/excuse/loophole/answer for any mischaracterization in speech pattern (I'm not saying anyone is looking for one, or that I want one, but if they did....) one could say that its the Phoenix's "after glow".
    If they're each JUST NOW experiencing some delayed reaction.....one could argue they're personalities are affected aswell. Bleh.

But...Illyana? Her later dialogue worked.
    Vindication! Lol. I was willing to let that one go though, since of her 4 lines, 1 of them was bad. I can concede 25% crappy as crossing the "bad" threshold lol. How do you feel about the "screwing with my powers" line? That one felt a little wonky as well, but I'm not sure.
    Marriage Era Spidey bashers are shameful opportunists (Like you REALLY didn't enjoy a single Spidey comic in 20 years)
    Conversely, BND haters REALLY need to get over their continuity elitism already

After enjoying the previous issue so much, I was disappointed with this one. It wasn't terrible. However, I agree with the prevailing sentiment in this thread that the dialog was weak, there were way too many plot holes, and Emma's characterization was off. Now I'm willing to concede that Emma's characterization could be the result of Cyclops's betrayal as she calls it and being sent to prison. I hope that improves, but given Bendis's history I'm a bit concerned. I liked the conversation between Magneto and Cyclops though. Marvel left it pretty ambiguous as to how much the Phoenix was influencing Cyclops when he killed Xavier. Magneto seems to blame Cyclops entirely, but again it's debatable. Plus, this whole mutation glitch they're experiencing, while it ties in nicely with the Beast plot, is overly vague. But it was a solid issue in that it maintained the central concept Bendis established. Now the Extinction Team and the Original Five are poised to clash and I can't wait to see it! I also did a more through review of this issue on my blog. A link is posted below:

My All New X-men #3 Review
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

X-men Supreme

Okay, a couple of my random thoughts about this issue:

1. I thought the explanation behind the power fluctuations with the former Phoenix Five made some degree of sense, giving it a whole "this is the price you pay for trying to tap into powers you were never meant to mess with" angle. And I don't think it's hard to understand why Magneto would be affected as he did get a good ol dose of it from Cyclops in Avengers vs. X-Men #11. What gets me is the fact that it's happening now all of the sudden when, prior to this, their powers seemed to be working just fine.

2. With all due respect to Emma Frost, she was throwing stones in a glass house. Yeah, she's was absolutely right in accusing Cyclops of pulling a total cop-out when he claimed, "It wasn't me, it was the Phoenix," (which Magneto also rightfully called him on the carpet on) but in that regard she, too, is just as guilty of what she did, what with her seducing Namor to attack Wakanda, lobotomizing people of their past crimes against mutants, and forcing the mutants on Utopia to bow and scape to her will.

3. Loved how Magneto told Cyclops to stop blaming his actions simply on the Phoenix and to man up and take responsibility. Of course, this also meant that Bendis had to make Cyclops had a come across like a whiny emo git because his optic beams weren't working right and also pathetically believing his own insanity defense. Which, as pointed out by others, wasn't the case at all in Consequences.

4. Benjamin is, for all intends and purposes, a younger, male version of Mystique. However, I liked the fact that the pro-mutant protestors actually thought his being a mutant was the coolest thing they ever seen and treated him like a rock-star. Because, after all, it only makes sense that not everyone would hate mutants, just how we comic book fans think that characters with incredible super-powers is quite awesome. Which really does throw into question whether or not Cyclops' "Revolution" is, in fact, making things worse, since if there are people who already treat mutants like rock-stars and celebrities--and thus not in any actual threat from humans--then Cyclops' actions only serve to reinforces the mindset that mutants are dangerous.

5. As for Emma using the Ipad to find Benjamin, it's clear that because someone took a photo of him and posted him on the net for all to see.
    Last edited by stillanerd; 12-05-2012 at 05:40 PM.
    Blog: Yes, I Am STILL a Nerd!

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by celestialbodies View Post
    Oh, please save the anger and morally questioning stance for someone who cares, I was just pointing out the irony and hypocrisy on these boards as long as its happening to someone else's fave its fine but, when its happening to yours then the anger comes pouring out relax and strap in for the roller coaster ride of enjoyment I know after all these years I finally am.
    lololol Leave them alone. They're in a new pair of shoes (for them) and don't really know how to walk in them yet. Plus, there's always the likelihood that they'll kill Teen Jean off for editorial giggles leaving us Jeaniacs trolled to high heaven again. The time is past nigh for Jean/Emma fan solidarity and even unification. Emma could be truly excellent under a writer that likes her (Hickman?), but yeah...those of us that like her/don't actively hate her might be in some trouble as far as Bendis' interpretation of the character goes.

This issue was trash in terms of serious X-bookness, but I feel like Bendis trolled the real Emma diehards enough all by himself.
    Last edited by Phoenix Egg; 12-05-2012 at 03:03 PM.
    Favorites: Jean Grey, Storm, The Wolverine, The Iceman, The Beast, The Rogue, Kid Omega, Oya, Broo, Kid Gladiator, Mags, Pryde
    The Diary of a Supa-Cool Nerd!

If no one has posted this yet.... here is the soundtrack for this issue.

BTW, Emma's dialogue was horrible.

The Alpha and The Omega Godlike13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    Which really does throw into question whether or not Cyclops' "Revolution" is, in fact, making things worse, since if there are people who already treat mutants like rock-stars and celebrities--and thus not in any actual threat from humans--then Cyclops' actions only serve to reinforces the mindset that mutants are dangerous.
    Clearly u didn't notice who's face it was on those signs.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 12-05-2012 at 03:13 PM.