Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default EXCLUSIVE: Cornell, Davis Claw Into Marvel NOW! with "Wolverine"

Writer Paul Cornell makes his return to Marvel alongside artist Alan Davis with "Wolverine." CBR spoke with the writer about his action-crime take on the series, plus an exclusive first look at Davis' first issue art.

Full article here.

Doesn't Want To See That! coconutphone's Avatar

Such a great team! On such a boring idea of a book!

Ugh. So much wasted talent.
    Schmitty's Evil Twin.

As much as I love Frank Cho, this is the Wolverine book I'm especially excited for. I think Cornell and Davis are really going to come through with something great on this.

wow this is going to be awful...do we really need two wolvie series.......i think the best possible format for wolvie is to have a "regular team " have them do 1 or 2 arcs and then bring in an all star team ie run teh frank cho wolvie story for 5 issues get a nice sales bump and then go back to the regular team. No matter how hard they try and even with a popular super character like wolive if you disconect him form the main storeis of the marvel universe the book will fail . I know cornell is a so callled fan favorite but his marvel books have been commercail failures based on sales and i expect another wolvie relaunch in less than a year

Didn't even mention the other Wolverine series in the interview?
    Spider-Man from the beginning! Last ish: ASM #15 - Chameleon hires Kraven (first appearance!) to kill Spidey.

still bet 100 percenttaht frank cho series is a finite series . Marvel knows that if you announce a project as a limited series your chopping a very large percentage of sales even before it starts in todays marketplace. I heard cho wolverine series was supposed to be the second storyline in the wolvie there best it is series but after marvel saw the awful sales number of that series they included in the marvel now relaunch anyway expect savage wolvie to go no more than 2 arcs or about 10 issues

THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar

This sounds infinitely more interesting than the Wolverine in Savage Land thing.

Not to mention the fact that the creative team is pretty solid.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

I actually like this series. But my word, Marvel has nearly destroyed my love for Wolverine in the past few years. I use to be a hardcore Wolverine fan, but the stuff about him now... I can barely read it. Hopefully this series will get us back to that Classic take for a bit. So I'm looking forward to it.
    Check out the O.A.W. Report at www.majinoaw.blogspot.com. You want to see why I say the things I do or understand what's in my head... this is the place to go.

It seems such an odd combo for Wolverine. A guy best known for his team books and british stuff, and a guy best known for his teams books and british stuff. Both get to write Wolverine. I mean, I guess, Human Nature / Family of Blood (Cornell's Doctor Who episodes) was pretty awesome individual character driven action (and in some respects Wolverine's a lot like the Doctor), but still. If the same team had been announced on Uncanny Avenging Excalibur, it'd be insta-buy, but as it is…

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by adam.walters View Post
    Didn't even mention the other Wolverine series in the interview?
    Why would they? Cornell was there to promote his book. Promoting Frank Cho's book id Frank Cho's job.

I probably like you. Filthy Mutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Majinoaw View Post
    I actually like this series. But my word, Marvel has nearly destroyed my love for Wolverine in the past few years. I use to be a hardcore Wolverine fan, but the stuff about him now... I can barely read it. Hopefully this series will get us back to that Classic take for a bit. So I'm looking forward to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    Why would they? Cornell was there to promote his book. Promoting Frank Cho's book id Frank Cho's job.
    I agree with both of these posts.

X-Poster of the Month: December 2012
    X-Poster of the Month: December 2009

The Best There Is At What I Do

If this is not generic, repetitive, crap I will wear a thong.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

This sounds like early Wolverine vol 3 from 2003. Before it got heavily into the Romulus stuff. Issues 1-11.
    Last edited by Rotm; 12-05-2012 at 08:49 AM.

gerbil on a wheel SoupStainedTie's Avatar

It's a shame we didn't get a really a fresh-sounding, exciting new Wolverine solo series from Marvel NOW.

"Wolverine is in the city and there's a kid and an enemy."

Marvel and Cornell can't possibly think these descriptions are going to blow anyone's socks off.

That said, it IS Cornell and Davis, so I'll be checking out the first tpb for sure.

Oh my god, can't stop laughing at some of the comments here. So much dumb hate.

In such a short interview, Cornell managed to show his strong grasp of the character and the focused direction he is going to take with the series, giving us a glimpse of his take on the character, the general plot hook, the themes he is going to explore, etc. And on the other hand, the Alan Davis' preview art is just lovely: clear, kinetic, beautiful.