Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I've never really understood the gripe of the glasses/civilian costume. It's a suspension of disbelief plot point. It's just one of those things the reader accepts as a rule of the superman world. If the story called for Clark to be exposed, then it'll happen. But if not, then the glasses are the explanation we're given for the way Clark keeps his identity hidden from the world

It's just one of those things that's a rule in the Superman world. Like how Batman has insanely thick plot armor, it's just one of those things you accept

In the JLU cartoon, Flash and Luthor switched minds, and when in Flash's costume, Luthor unmasked himself to find out who the Flash really was. He said, "I have no idea who this is." That solves Superman's secret ID for most people, but leaves the problem with the people he closely works with as Clark Kent. That issue, however, can be mostly resolved with effective use of body doubles, shape-shifters, and Superman robots that would allow that particular population to see Clark and Superman at the same time. It's kind of sketchy, though, because with enough exposure to both Clark and Superman, you're going to notice distinctions that aren't always evident in comic pages, like the cut of your teeth, pores, pigment marks, folds in the skin, specific body scents, etc. Those things are only problems if you want to go hyper-real, or whatever Nolan's people called it, but I think the old fashioned tricks Supes has traditionally used is good enough for me.

I think facial recognition software (FRS) can be dealt with by Cyborg, who can hack into databases or algorithms and disrupt FRS from getting accurate hits. It's a simple explanation, but it works. I wouldn't mind throwing in such a scene with FRS, and how the JL sabotaged FRS around the world, to help protect certain secret ID's.

Moving faster than a speeding bullet, the face of Superman (the whole of the creature, really) remains blurred to the bulk of the populace: no clear video, no pristine images, no still-standing face except for those few. (Which is why I believe Lois knows who's-who and should never, NEVER have been surprised that CK was SM ... Unless, that is, he 'vibrated his face' like Jay Garrick...)
    A robotic journey toward the American Dream: MADE in USA.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    In the JLU cartoon, Flash and Luthor switched minds, and when in Flash's costume, Luthor unmasked himself to find out who the Flash really was. He said, "I have no idea who this is." That solves Superman's secret ID for most people, but leaves the problem with the people he closely works with as Clark Kent. That issue, however, can be mostly resolved with effective use of body doubles, shape-shifters, and Superman robots that would allow that particular population to see Clark and Superman at the same time. It's kind of sketchy, though, because with enough exposure to both Clark and Superman, you're going to notice distinctions that aren't always evident in comic pages, like the cut of your teeth, pores, pigment marks, folds in the skin, specific body scents, etc. Those things are only problems if you want to go hyper-real, or whatever Nolan's people called it, but I think the old fashioned tricks Supes has traditionally used is good enough for me.
    All superhero disguises are bullshit. You can recognize anyone in any costume, even Spider-Man's, because you know people. It's not just restricted to Superman. Batman's mouth gives him him away. You can recognize each actor based on their mouths. Domino masks are no different.

Quote Originally Posted by MFitzH2O
    Moving faster than a speeding bullet, the face of Superman (the whole of the creature, really) remains blurred to the bulk of the populace: no clear video, no pristine images, no still-standing face except for those few. (Which is why I believe Lois knows who's-who and should never, NEVER have been surprised that CK was SM ... Unless, that is, he 'vibrated his face' like Jay Garrick...)
    No, Lois stated in Superman #52, that she did suspect, but considered it too far fetched an idea. Clark had played his role so well, that even seeing a resemblance wasn't enough to make her think otherwise. Likewise in the Donner films, Lois considers the idea too preposterous at the end of the first film. But she only does in the second film, with the Donner footage, because she took a closer look at a picture of Superman and a picture of Clark and saw them both standing the same way.

I liked in punisher2099 how he used his position in the police to hack the big brother systems so that the cameras on every street corner and building couldnt see his face. Left a big 8-bit skull in its place.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat001 View Post
    All superhero disguises are bullshit. You can recognize anyone in any costume, even Spider-Man's, because you know people. It's not just restricted to Superman. Batman's mouth gives him him away. You can recognize each actor based on their mouths. Domino masks are no different.
    Domino masks would fail pretty often, as stated in the Green Lantern movie, and can be easily observed in any live-action Robin appearance.

Batman's disguise fails for many of the same reasons why I explained why Superman's disguise would.

Spider-man's disguise could pass the eye test. You can't always tell when it's the real actor or the stunt double, and when the face is obscured, then it gets even tougher. Spidey's disguise is going to fail for other reasons, like mannerisms, voice, and incidental things like catching him putting on his costume on surveillance footage, that you never see the two together, that Parker is always taking pictures of Spider-man and nobody else is getting the photos, etc.

No, Lois stated in Superman #52, that she did suspect, but considered it too far fetched an idea. Clark had played his role so well, that even seeing a resemblance wasn't enough to make her think otherwise. Likewise in the Donner films, Lois considers the idea too preposterous at the end of the first film. But she only does in the second film, with the Donner footage, because she took a closer look at a picture of Superman and a picture of Clark and saw them both standing the same way.
    What's with the 'No', man? You're giving examples that somewhat support what I state as my opinion (read: hope). It's okay to leave off the negative and even a lil' friendly to do so. That is, unless you're against the sentiment that she knew? Or suspecting and refusing to acknowledge the possibility negates my opinion (again, read: hope)
    A robotic journey toward the American Dream: MADE in USA.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Domino masks would fail pretty often, as stated in the Green Lantern movie, and can be easily observed in any live-action Robin appearance.

Batman's disguise fails for many of the same reasons why I explained why Superman's disguise would.

Spider-man's disguise could pass the eye test. You can't always tell when it's the real actor or the stunt double, and when the face is obscured, then it gets even tougher. Spidey's disguise is going to fail for other reasons, like mannerisms, voice, and incidental things like catching him putting on his costume on surveillance footage, that you never see the two together, that Parker is always taking pictures of Spider-man and nobody else is getting the photos, etc.
    You can tell the difference between Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield based on their body type. Which is part of what you can tell with a lot of people. But in terms of the comics, there were others who got photos of Spider-Man. There was a whole plot line from 1988 through 1989, when Nick Katzenberg was able to get photos as well and was able to frame Peter in a bad light.

Quote Originally Posted by MFitzH2O
    What's with the 'No', man? You're giving examples that somewhat support what I state as my opinion (read: hope). It's okay to leave off the negative and even a lil' friendly to do so. That is, unless you're against the sentiment that she knew? Or suspecting and refusing to acknowledge the possibility negates my opinion (again, read: hope)
    The no was in reference to her actually being surprised, which is evident in the comics. She was genuinely surprised when she saw the actual transformation before her eyes. In the films and "Lois & Clark", she wasn't as surprised.

Thx for this scan
    I agree that new 52 Cyborg can take care of any problems digitally that would compromise Supes identity but I think that might only work if the software user is online.

The other thing I noticed catching up on the current run of action comics is that Superman is featured in a bunch of photos although I'm not sure about the clarity of his face from the artwork.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison