Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Even though you said no DC, you should try I Kill Giants. It's a very good miniseries.
    BB

I do not recommend any new52 title. For new comics, only DC Kids like Young Justice, Superman Adventures, etc.
    I highly recommend all the old issues of Justice League Unlimited and Justice League Adventures. You can also get trade paperbacks like Shazam The Monster Society of Evil TPB (2009) and Supergirl Cosmic Adventures in the 8th Grade TPB (2009).

Quote Originally Posted by jamorse_99 View Post
    I do not recommend any new52 title. For new comics, only DC Kids like Young Justice, Superman Adventures, etc.
    I highly recommend all the old issues of Justice League Unlimited and Justice League Adventures. You can also get trade paperbacks like Shazam The Monster Society of Evil TPB (2009) and Supergirl Cosmic Adventures in the 8th Grade TPB (2009).
    For example, check out these on mycomicshop.com:

Justice League Unlimited (2004) #20
    Justice League Unlimited (2004) #44
    Justice League Adventures (2002) #6
    Justice League Adventures (2002) #11
    Justice League Adventures (2002) #13A
    Justice League Adventures (2002) #17
    Justice League Adventures (2002) #19

Quote Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
    No parent should ever let their kids see or read current mainstream superhero comics. Too violent, too much sex, nothing at all educational about them, and few redeeming characteristics at all.
    ^ This. Rucka's Wonder Woman was incredibly good, better than Gail Simone and I think more kid friendly. Simone had Genocide and that was very violent. Rucka had more mythology.

Brian Q Miller Batgirl series with Stephanie Brown could possibly be your only choice from the last few years in mainstream comics and that's still moderately violent with one of the supporting characters getting killed (off panel) but it's still pretty harsh.

Pick up trades (?) or search online from their kids line Billy Batson and the Magic of Shazam! the Captain Marvel/Shazam franchise outside of the mainstream canon is PERFECT for young boys and girls under 10. Mary Marvel is an amazing under appreciated and untapped heroine and role model for girls, as well as Captain Marvel. She and Captain Marvel were the most popular superheroes of the 1940s and would be perfect for young kids today if given a TV treatment but DC doesn't know what to do with them. HIGHLY recommended.

Princeless series by Jeremy Whitley too.

Thanks all
    good news im going through all the recommendations, there was some great stuff, some borderline, however with all the recomendations my daughter cant read im really enjoying them and my list of to reads just keeps going, dammit :)
    just spending tonnes of money in comixology, downloading anything that looks suitable.
    So few comics in the current dc line-up that are inappropriate, just gonna go for older stuff or safe titles, thanks everyone for the recommendations :)
    once i have a list of what i decide on, with my daughters input of course ill let you all know...so many comics, so little time :)

Quote Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
    No parent should ever let their kids see or read current mainstream superhero comics. Too violent, too much sex, nothing at all educational about them, and few redeeming characteristics at all.
    Amen to that!

Quote Originally Posted by Mindworm View Post
    I actually think your daughter is too little for any of the New 52 titles. Maybe Sword of Sorcery would work, but I’m not sure about that one either! I think we’re touching a problem here with today’s comics in general,; they are made for a more mature audience than what was true a generation ago. There is too much sex and violence, and the scripts are also much harder to grasp for a child that age. Sure, I was no older than her when I started reading superhero comics, but this was at the end of the 60ies, and most of the comics from this time-period were aimed at younger children. I would not recommend any of the comics from DC or Marvel for a kid younger than 10 years!
    I think 10 years old is definitely too young. I'd say no younger than mid teens...15? The kids today, are exposed to more than when i was a kid, but DC comics today, are SO extreme in content, it's just not possible to give one to a kid and feel confident that it isn't harmful to their psyche. Sad to say, but very true.

For DC, I would definitely avoid the new 52. However, if she's really into Black Canary and Wonder Woman, there are literally DECADES of good stuff in trade paperback and even in hardcover, from the 1940s till just before the reboot. If you like I would be glad to provide a sequential list for some of those specifically. As an added bonus, of course, there's no waiting between issues of storylines.

(I would also recommend, not comics-related at all, but the Cricket line of magazines, which are award-winning and excellent.)

DC Comics Forum Moderator The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theflyingfrogunderdog View Post
    I think 10 years old is definitely too young. I'd say no younger than mid teens...15? The kids today, are exposed to more than when i was a kid, but DC comics today, are SO extreme in content, it's just not possible to give one to a kid and feel confident that it isn't harmful to their psyche. Sad to say, but very true.
    I think a teen could handle anything the DCnU dishes out. I know I could have done so back in the late '70s and that was a more innocent time than now (which is funny, because my era's teens were much more streetwise than my parents' were during the '50s).

Having said that, an 8-year old shouldn't be reading DC or Marvel today. At least without a parent going through each issue with a fine-tooth comb first.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I shall become a bat!

No no no. I'm a 14 year old kid, and DC is far from being horrible. Yes, it can be creepy and sexy and bloody sometimes, but I've seen far worse like Homeland, Saga, Fatale, Invincible, Y The Last Man, Ex Machina, Prometheus, Cabin in the Woods, Walking Dead etc. My psyche is quite well. With the Walking Dead (TV show) It was the worst thing I saw (No spoilers. But season 3 eppy 4 and you know what I mean) But it eventually fades away in creepiness the more you think about it, and then you just don't think about it at all. In fact, photos of things like spiders crawling into your ear as you sleep and trailers for horror movies I would never see but have to watch in a movie theater have been more scarring. I sleep with ear plugs in now cause of that spider photo. :/

I wouldn't recommend Batgirl, mainly because of Ed Benes. I highly recommend Sword of Sorcery by Christy Marx and FF by Matt Fraction.
    "Saga is like Star Wars in space!"
    -Machinima

I dunno how old you are but when I was 10 I was reading stuff like The Dark Knight Returns and the Killing Joke. It's not a matter of age it's a matter of what you are mentally prepared to handle. Every individual, even children, is different

Quote Originally Posted by vicvega View Post
    I dunno how old you are but when I was 10 I was reading stuff like The Dark Knight Returns and the Killing Joke. It's not a matter of age it's a matter of what you are mentally prepared to handle. Every individual, even children, is different
    To be fair, both of those are good.

SHOW ME YOUR THUMBS!! BohemiaDrinker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vicvega View Post
    So was I, and those actually made me love comics more, if anything. However, I was also watching "Aliens" and reading Playboy. None of which I would have had access to if any of my parents took the time to see if appropriate. In hindsight, they would be right.

If we have a father here worried about the kind of content his daughter will be exposed to, but taking an active role in the choice of said content instead of screaming "the wiorld is too violent/shallow/sexy/immoral" as we, sadly, so frequently see, I say we should applaud him. :)

I think 10 years old is definitely too young.
    For Amethyst? I haven't seen any graphic anything in that book.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...