Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Yes it was Ivy, she referred to Clayface as "Basil" and other affection ways of talking to him (thinking he was still under her power.)

Layman's run is so far very reminiscent of Paul Dini's time on Detective Comics, with shorter more low key stories that together builds against something bigger and uses a lot of the classic rogues while being a bit overshadowed by the more spectacular stuff going on in the other titles. I think it's great stuff so far, and while Faboks art can be a bit stiff at times he really excels with his clean linework.
    "Doesn't everyone on here hate comics? Isn't this a forum where a bunch of middle aged men sit around and bitch about how they hate comics and haven't read them in twenty years?" -Mezzaro-

Quote Originally Posted by Patroklos View Post
    Layman's run is so far very reminiscent of Paul Dini's time on Detective Comics, with shorter more low key stories that together builds against something bigger and uses a lot of the classic rogues while being a bit overshadowed by the more spectacular stuff going on in the other titles. I think it's great stuff so far, and while Faboks art can be a bit stiff at times he really excels with his clean linework.
    That's true. Nice comparison.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Unreasonably Opinionated Conway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patroklos View Post
    Love Dini, loving Layman, so I can't argue at all.

BANNED

It's nice to have a Bat book to have fun with itself. Layman gets all the voices for the villains. Looking forward to what he dies with other villains. Oh and the DotF tie in part was pointless. I didn't mind it in the book but it was just there to boost sales meaninglessly.

This book reminds me more of The Adventures of Batman and Robin comic series than of Dini's work on Tec.

Quote Originally Posted by DaronK View Post
    I'm not exactly sure why, but this surprises me. What is it that's not your thing?
    Because I think it's 'solid' rather than 'great'. I think it's trying to tell a pretty decent Batman story using all the toys, and I have no real interest in that.

It's not that books have to be real game changers, but when we're dealing with a character like Batman - one I have no real interest in - they have to bring a lot more to the table to catch my interest. I want them to be somewhat innovative, I want them to be layered, I want them to bring new depth and I want them to do a lot of creation.

Snyder's "Black Mirror", Morrison's various runs, Cooke's Ego, Azzarello's work with the character, Paul Pope's Batman Year 100...these are the runs that have spoken to me over the last decade. Even something technically good like Brubaker's Batman doesn't do it for me enough to keep my interest on a regular basis.

Basically, 'good' doesn't cut it when it comes to Batman. It has to be GREAT, and I don't feel that's the case here.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Dark Knight Detective DarkKnghtJared's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nosocialize100 View Post
    My main complaint, aside from it being a bit heavy on action, was the batplane is called...the batplane! Come on batman, call it something cooler!
    I always liked it when he kinda downplays that a little, calling the Batmobile "the car" or the batplane "the plane." That seems more like a Robin thing to call them that, which Batman sometimes slips into himself.

But here's my main complaint--two of the rogues get married, and they just have a small thing with a few random people as hostages? Hell no, something that auspicious calls for the ENTIRE Rogues Gallery to get broken out of Arkham and have the biggest party that Gotham will ever see, claiming the lives of dozens of innocents at the same time.

... but it was a Vegas, shotgun wedding. Those are never a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    Because I think it's 'solid' rather than 'great'. I think it's trying to tell a pretty decent Batman story using all the toys, and I have no real interest in that.
    You've hit the nail on the head there, Desaad. That's exactly what my problem with it is as well. It very solid, hits all the right notes, uses all the toys and villains but that's about all it is. I'm not getting any sense of tension here at all and nothing that even makes me think Batman is even in any danger here. There's nothing whatsoever that I've seen thus far that has hooked me into the story or that even leaves me waiting in suspense for the next issue.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 12-07-2012 at 01:29 PM.
    Characters come and go, revamped and revisited. But as long as you enjoyed them, remember them and continue to appreciate them, then that character, your hero or heroine, will always exist.

Detective comics is getting real good real quick. Nice move getting Layman, DC.
    The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame

Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar

This issue for me was yeah, solid and not great. Honestly I do have a problem with the crossover stuff.

That and this issue went through some pretty basic motions. Batman in a tight spot, escapes, uses prep to beat villain, other characters get all twisty. Clayface is a monster strong enough to demolish armored cars, but Batman just kicks him and walks off. Clayface suffers ultimate heartache, but we've been given no reason to care. Emperor Penguin? Well, I guess that's the Layman humor because taken seriously, well... NOglivy.

Dark Knight Detective DarkKnghtJared's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bonemachine View Post
    ... but it was a Vegas, shotgun wedding. Those are never a big deal.
    I get what you mean, but...come on, which would you rather read--Batman pulling another trick out his arse to defeat Clayface, or Batman having to stop a deadly wedding reception with all of his Rogues in attendance?

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptid View Post
    Jason Fabok's three issues of Detective Comics have left me impressed with the clarity and wit of his storytelling. It's a nice touch when he lines up Batman's scowl with Joker's grin, but most of his clever touches are far less showy than that. The sequence between Ogilvy and Poison Ivy is a textbook-perfect example of how to make talking heads dramatically effective. Fabok keeps Ivy on the left and Ogilvy on the right, whether or not they are in the same panel, to clarify the action as he cycles through different angles. Meanwhile, each shift in perspective emphasizes the changing balance of power between Ivy and Ogilvy, as she turns from a victim at his feet to an active threat to a collaborator drawn in by curiosity. The technique of Fabok's layouts is artful enough to remain practically invisible as it directs the eye between story details. Have to admire an artist with a head as good as his hands.

So far, this run shows a surprising amount of humility for the level of craftsmanship that the creators have brought to the table, which is a treat in itself given the general bombast of the New 52 and Marvel Now (and particularly the epic put-ons that come with the boilerplate plotting in this week's Avengers #1). I haven't read Hellboy or Storm Dogs yet, but so far this is my favorite book of the week in a walk.
    Wow yeah now that I took another look at his artwork for this issue you're right, Fabok is definitely showing us his storytelling abilities.
    I've always appreciated artists who are talented at emphasizing the drama for a particular sequence -- much like George Perez. Obviously Fabok has a talent for this. DC better keep this guy.
    Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.
    - Marcus Aurelius

So far, I'm really liking what Layman is developing with Detective Comics. He has a unique way of figuratively spinning a web of stories that essentially mesh well with one another. Ogilvy being revealed as the Emperor Penguin was a nice twist. I like how deceptive Ogilvy is, how at first glance you would think he is just a right hand man for the Penguin but it's all smoke and mirrors and in reality he is a snake in the grass just waiting for the right opportunity to dethrone the Penguin. Of course, the Penguin is going to return but I hope somehow someway Ogilvy manages to survive the Penguin's inevitable wrath and become a new power player in the criminal underworld. I've never been much of a fan of Clayface however despite that, I did like Layman showed Clayface to have a certain degree of depth and I am kind of curious as to how Clayface will deal with Poison Ivy. All in all, kudos to both Layman and Fabok.