Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I thought this was strong, but a bit unbalanced. Lot's of action in this one, and the backup didn't do much beyond advance the plot the extra page it deserved. I reviewed it with pictures here if anyone is interested.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

this was easily my favorite issue of detective so far. especially liked the backup with clayface. we need more andy clarke.
    SPACE FOR RENT!

Dark Knight Detective DarkKnghtJared's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Final Page:

Poison Ivy: *Snickers* Oh wait, you’re serious.
    That was about my reaction as well. That whole thing with that guy was interesting, but unless the next issue does something spectacular, I'm thinking that moment kinda the jumping the shark moment of this story.

Outside of that and the really unnecessary back-up, everything else was pretty solid.

Poison Ivy was very thorny in this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Steel View Post
    Okay just finished 'Tec #15 and gotta I loved it! Fabok's artwork just seems to getting better and better.
    I feel like I'm looking at some modern Marshall Rogers artwork here...just beautiful. I think Fabok creates a lot of his work digitally,
    And it translates beautifully for the reader whom reads comics digitally.
    Jason Fabok's three issues of Detective Comics have left me impressed with the clarity and wit of his storytelling. It's a nice touch when he lines up Batman's scowl with Joker's grin, but most of his clever touches are far less showy than that. The sequence between Ogilvy and Poison Ivy is a textbook-perfect example of how to make talking heads dramatically effective. Fabok keeps Ivy on the left and Ogilvy on the right, whether or not they are in the same panel, to clarify the action as he cycles through different angles. Meanwhile, each shift in perspective emphasizes the changing balance of power between Ivy and Ogilvy, as she turns from a victim at his feet to an active threat to a collaborator drawn in by curiosity. The technique of Fabok's layouts is artful enough to remain practically invisible as it directs the eye between story details. Have to admire an artist with a head as good as his hands.

So far, this run shows a surprising amount of humility for the level of craftsmanship that the creators have brought to the table, which is a treat in itself given the general bombast of the New 52 and Marvel Now (and particularly the epic put-ons that come with the boilerplate plotting in this week's Avengers #1). I haven't read Hellboy or Storm Dogs yet, but so far this is my favorite book of the week in a walk.

This made me feel weird about Poison Ivy, she's doing bad things but for somewhat good reasons. So someone attempts to kill her, or so they want her to think. Yet they save her, and then Clayface finds her and will do who knows what with her.

Besides that I enjoyed this more than previous issues. I was well written and had some very nice artwork. My only complaint is that it should have not been a tie in. The Penguin and Joker interaction could have been left out and not affected the story in the slightest.

My main complaint, aside from it being a bit heavy on action, was the batplane is called...the batplane! Come on batman, call it something cooler!
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

BANNED

Its been called the Batplane for decades. Batwing=movie mistake.

call it dark winged creature of justice
    Grandparents dead - please no jokes

make mine DC, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RoughNTumble View Post
    call it dark winged creature of justice
    Now that's what I'm talking about!

As many others previously stated I thought the tie in was weak. Really didn't matter though, once you start reading the first page you forget about it.

I'm very curious to see what Joker's got planned with Penguin and what will happen with Ogilvy in the future. I'm interested in seeing that continue especially since Ogilvy has some sort of plan with Ivy.

Overall very good issue, Clayface backup was equally good. Loved the way Layman wrote Karlo's weakness for acceptance and having Ivy exploit it. Can't wait till next month!

Quote Originally Posted by weeks View Post
    this was easily my favorite issue of detective so far. especially liked the backup with clayface. we need more andy clarke.
    Same here. If we get at least one more good issue like this, I'll add Detective to my list.
    DC: Action Comics - Detective Comics - Batman and... - Batman - Justice League
    Marvel: All-New X-Factor
    IDW: Transformers: Robots in Disguise

I'm still not completely onboard with this. The writing is strong, the story flows nicely, the character interactions and voices are fine and I even thought the tie in was decently handled but something is still missing. It's annoying because I really want to like the book since on the surface it appears to be doing everything right and it would ordinarily be a book that was right up my alley. I'm just not enjoying to half as much as other books and I'm finding that to be really frustrating. I'm not about to drop the title since one of my roommates has been enjoying it but I think I'm going to take a few months off of myself after the next issue and see if my perspective is helped any by that.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 12-06-2012 at 08:17 AM.
    Characters come and go, revamped and revisited. But as long as you enjoyed them, remember them and continue to appreciate them, then that character, your hero or heroine, will always exist.

What other issues should I get leading up to #15? I have #1-4, #8-9. I want to read #15 for the Death of the Family tie-in but I'm not sure if it is in the middle of an arc or it is a stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOther View Post
    What other issues should I get leading up to #15? I have #1-4, #8-9. I want to read #15 for the Death of the Family tie-in but I'm not sure if it is in the middle of an arc or it is a stand alone.
    The new writer, John Layman, took over at #13. That's the beginning of the current story arc which overlaps with Death of the Family.
    Be a fan of the creators, not the characters.