Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by FIFTY-TWO (52) View Post
    Why do you think the book deserves 5 stars, aside from bias, not having read it, or allowing someone their own opinion?
    I just finished reading it, and it was phenominal! Seriously, I got chills!

"Assemble at dawn."
    Freedom is merely the ability to live without fear of persecution.

I am GLAD that this book has a serious tone. After all of the un-Avengers Bendis-styled quips I've been subjected to for the past several years, I'm so thankful the Avengers are being taken seriously. If you want funny, go read Avengers Assemble (which was a little too humorous for me - I dropped it). Superheroes aren't comedians and Marvel Comics aren't comedy books. I feel that has been largely unbalanced for quite some time.

I am beyond words with how happy I am that the Avengers are serious again.

Thank you Mr. Hickman.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Man, this review is serious business. Why don't we all read the damn comic first before this gets anymore out of control?
    Don't see why it should get out of control.

The Reviewers opinion is just that. His (or Her opinon)

Even Reviewers that I always disagree with can be useful to me.
    If Amond White savagely hates a movie I'm pretty sure to like it.

So I still read his reviews.

No harm no foul.

I didn't like this at all. o.O

Quote Originally Posted by .c.h.r.i.s. View Post
    I am GLAD that this book has a serious tone. After all of the un-Avengers Bendis-styled quips I've been subjected to for the past several years, I'm so thankful the Avengers are being taken seriously. If you want funny, go read Avengers Assemble (which was a little too humorous for me - I dropped it). Superheroes aren't comedians and Marvel Comics aren't comedy books. I feel that has been largely unbalanced for quite some time.

I am beyond words with how happy I am that the Avengers are serious again.

Thank you Mr. Hickman.
    I think we'll get a good balance between serious and humorous in this book. What Bendis seemed to miss out on is that not EVERY character should have quippy dialogue, especially during serious moments.

Tony (thanks to RDJ) and Clint can be somewhat quippy characters, but they also know when it's time to be serious. Peter on the other hand uses humor as a coping mechanism, so him quipping through a crazy serious fight scenario is to be expected.

And Hickman seems to get that with Thor the trick to humor is less is more, which is something I really enjoyed.

Well, it was good.

That is as far as I'm willing to go at this point, I guess?

It's well done. Ably done. Capably done. I'm intrigued, and it accomplished a lot in a short amount of space.

I'm...not blown away, I guess. It's interesting, without really being engaging.

But it's a first issue. That is the worst I'll say about it; it suffers from First Issue syndrome. It's not breaking any new ground, but its early. Certain bits of the dialogue and the narration were a little cliche.

I guess it gave me the same feel as a lot of Marvel NOW!. In fact, this felt like Incredible Hulk; promising, smartly written, but not really compelling on its own.

Still excited to watch this series build, the characters come out, and the themes strengthen. And it's certainly the best "Avengers" thing I've read in years (and certainly better than JL over at DC, too).
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    Well, it was good.

That is as far as I'm willing to go at this point, I guess?

It's well done. Ably done. Capably done. I'm intrigued, and it accomplished a lot in a short amount of space.

I'm...not blown away, I guess. It's interesting, without really being engaging.

But it's a first issue. That is the worst I'll say about it; it suffers from First Issue syndrome. It's not breaking any new ground, but its early. Certain bits of the dialogue and the narration were a little cliche.

I guess it gave me the same feel as a lot of Marvel NOW!. In fact, this felt like Incredible Hulk; promising, smartly written, but not really compelling on its own.

Still excited to watch this series build, the characters come out, and the themes strengthen. And it's certainly the best "Avengers" thing I've read in years (and certainly better than JL over at DC, too).
    This is pretty much how I felt, although I'll be the first to admit I enjoy being caught up in the hype when a comic gives me reason to. So while not blown away, I'm still really excited.

I think the only aspect about this book that doesn't feel like a nice companion piece or continuation of the film is that the sense of humor (a big part of the film), is really missing here. There are only two jokes by my count and though they land expertly, it does feel like a dark and serious book. This is fine, and perhaps appropriate, but it does feel tonally very different for those that might come knocking out of curiosity after enjoying the film.

This is great. I thought that the movie was a bit too lighthearted but I understand why (appeal to kids/women, more $). The fact that Hickman is taking the film roster and placing them into a more realistic story with a darker mood is quite appealing. Personally I don't want to read an Avengers comic where half an issue is spent on the members' water-cooler talk. It's a nice little respite every once in a while, but if I wanted witty banter and dry humor, DeConnick's "Assemble" seems like the perfect destination.

This is a much welcomed change from Bendis' run. Bendis had his high points, but he stayed with the franchise far too long, and Hickman has a great contrasting voice to kick off a new era. I thought this issue was outstanding. The artwork was awesome. The ominous narrative made the story feel huge. The design sense (like all of Hickman's work) made the book feel more important than your average Marvel book. I spent all week really excited for bendis' follow up to last week's fantastic All New X-Men #2, but Avangers #1 totally stole ANXM3's thunder.

The Cold Truth

Snooze. Captain America and Iron Man talk. Everybody goes to space. A bunch of nobody bad guys bounce everyone off the floor and then we find out that Sunspot and Cannonball are on the team. No spoilers here, by the way.

3/10. Opena is wasted on this trash.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    "Avengers" gets a reboot with the all-star creative team of Jonathan Hickman and Jerome Opeña as well as a surprisingly new-reader friendly story.
    I'm not a huge Marvel reader, but I've been reading comics as a whole since the 70s and I was completely lost during half the comic. I have no idea who these people are on Mars, but it reads like I'm supposed to know. Instead, i feel like i jumped into the middle of a conversation of total strangers. I even double checked to see if I had pages missing. Not a very good start, IMO. As silly as the B-Movie plot was in Uncanny Avengers, it was at least I knew what was going on, despite not having read AvsX.

The story was fairly simple and basic but blown up with some somewhat overblown dialogue.

I didn't recognize half the new team members in the back especially since the artist decided to give them new costumes, do you think we could have gotten some caption boxes telling us who these new members are? i read Sunspot and Cannonball? ugh they have their own book in New Mutants i would rather see some new faces or obscure Avengers from old.

THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelPaytonMZ View Post
    I'm not a huge Marvel reader, but I've been reading comics as a whole since the 70s and I was completely lost during half the comic. I have no idea who these people are on Mars, but it reads like I'm supposed to know. Instead, i feel like i jumped into the middle of a conversation of total strangers. I even double checked to see if I had pages missing. Not a very good start, IMO. As silly as the B-Movie plot was in Uncanny Avengers, it was at least I knew what was going on, despite not having read AvsX.
    The guys on Mars are actually new characters.

I do agree with you on the Uncanny Avengers point.

I enjoyed that more than Avengers #1.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

Well, it reads like a five-star review, but it's four stars. Her one complaint was that there wasn't humor in this like there was in the movie. So basically, that was the difference between an amazing comic and a great comic for her. The comic book wasn't like the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesRowling View Post
    Snooze. Captain America and Iron Man talk. Everybody goes to space. A bunch of nobody bad guys bounce everyone off the floor and then we find out that Sunspot and Cannonball are on the team. No spoilers here, by the way.

3/10. Opena is wasted on this trash.
    I agree somewhat...not a snooze fest but it definitely just seemed formulaic with quite a bit of pretentious narration. I think things should have been stretched out more than getting to assembling the new team at the end of the first issue.

Possible spoilers...

Instead of rushing things so he could get to these new team members immediately, we could have seen more of the damage these "origin bombs" were doing to earth and how this was being dealt with. This would have given a sense visually of the scope of damage and danger Ex Nihilo and his group were causing and added to the scope of the first issue.

The fight between the avengers and Ex Nihilo and co. went way too fast, and didnt really make the core team look good. It should have been a bit more of an epic battle so that we could see how really dangerous these beings are and the core team really EARNED their defeat. Maybe the issue could have ended with them being defeated instead of getting straight to assembling the new members. So far it just looks like they went in with a poor plan, like rank amateurs.

And seriously, Hulk is still falling for the "Thor doesnt respect you, thinks he's stronger than you" card? Does this character get to evolve at all? Especially since Banner seems to be able to control the change a bit more now? If Hulk is that unstable should he even be on the team? (despite the movie) And what, Thor was taken out by one punch from Hulk?

And three days??!? It took Cap three days to recover, and then get this new team together. Who knows what could have happened by now. Cap also needs to start thinking strategically moreso and stop with the "I dont give up, ever!" routine. Sometimes it makes sense to run and come back immediately with others rather than stand alone against 3 beings who just took out your whole team with ease and then get your arse handed to you so that you take THREE DAYS to recover before assembling a new team to go face the threat again.

Great art and a great cinematic feel and epic narration, but for a first issue it definitely could have spent more time on the story and less on setting up, in a hurry, the tone of the book and the new members. The team just look like they went in like amateurs.

All style with little substance.
    Last edited by jabu46; 12-06-2012 at 09:56 AM.