Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast

It varies for me. Some issues are great but others can look a bit too cartoonish or rushed for my liking, Ends Of The Earth springs to mind.

I've learned not to moan too much though. I hated Sal Buscema's art for ages on Spectacular, then something must've clicked in my mind and I loved it. Complete opposite happened with Todd MacFarlane and Mark Bagley's work, so it's all subjective really.

Splendiferous Spider Hero ImmortalIronFist's Avatar

He's hit and miss for me. Sometimes his stuff is awesome (I really liked Spider-Island) and sometimes it just looks too out of control and I can't handle it.
    Hey, that tiger is flying a spaceship.

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis Raines View Post
    I'm sorry, but I don't see Marvel using Ramos' depiction of Spider-Man on Spider-Man merchandise like they did with Bagley for an entire decade, and I don't see artists lining up to use Ramos' depiction of Spider-Man as a template for how they should draw Spidey, like people did with McFarlane's Spidey for 20 years and Romita Sr.'s for 30 years.

I think what a lot of people WILL do 10, 20, or 30 years from now---especially those who aren't Spidey fans and who are objective about the art in the book---is look back at Ramos' art and go, "WTF?!? How on Earth did this guy get so much work on Marvel's FLAGSHIP character in his FLAGSHIP book?!?"
    Memphis-I'm in total agreement with your assessment
    This also reflects the problem of double-shipping. Ramos is appreciated by Marvel because he is very fast. Like the notoriously bland artwork from Vince Colletta in the 70s and 80s, this is what keeps him employed.

Comic Book Fanatic!!! Memphis Raines's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ish Kabbible View Post
    This also reflects the problem of double-shipping. Ramos is appreciated by Marvel because he is very fast. Like the notoriously bland artwork from Vince Colletta in the 70s and 80s, this is what keeps him employed.
    Yep. It's just like the notorious Greg Land debate.
    Last edited by Memphis Raines; 12-23-2012 at 07:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ish Kabbible View Post
    There's more to it than that. Ramos has been on some high profile Spider-Man stories. He wasn't given the opening arc of the Big Time era, Spider Island, the 50th anniversary story or Amazing Spider-Man #700 just because he was fast.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

i don't like his art

I just think Ramos' art takes me out of the stories too much. Makes it where I'm spending too much time trying to figure out what's going on in most panels. It's just my opinion, of course, but its my opinion that matters on what I'll buy or not. I like some Spidey pictures Ramos has drawn thru the years, but just don't like it in the main Spidey titles. It's time to bring in some artists that can tell a great "Amazing" story with their art.
    Happy holidays everyone

I've never been a Ramos fan...at all. I will say that he has improved since his days on Spectacular Spider-Man with Paul Jenkins. That are was hideous, and I REALLY had a hard time with it. Still don't love his style, but it's not as bad as it once was, IMO.

I sometimes skip issues merely because of his art. ASM #700 will be an exception, but I mostly hate his art for the reasons already mentioned, but mostly because of the overly cartoonish, almost anime look.

I can say I don't dislike Ramos' art. Actually, he had his bad moments waaaaay before Slott's run (I can't remember exactly, but his pencils in a story about one of the many Parker vs Osborn fights were atrocious, with a "captain coffee" comment by the Green Goblin or something like this). His art it's better now (except for the fact he draw women too "toothy" in front). Does someone remember/see his Impulse/Young Justice arts by the 90's? He's VERY well now than by that ol' times!

There isn't perfect artists (I'd like to be one, though). He's good for Spidey and Spider-Island was a good piece of his competence. But, I don't think he is the very best thing to happen with Spidey in the art department too. Actually, this trophy goes to Bagley, Romita Sr. & Jr., and Mike Wieringo (this one is my reference, God bless you).
    Last edited by Fourze; 12-24-2012 at 02:41 PM.

I don't know I don't like to bash art but his style is too cartoony for my taste and kind of a little messy sometimes in the sense of storytelling it is hard to see what is going on in the page a lot. But again, its a matter of opinions. Art is like that.
    Cyclops was right.

I wish Ramo's would move on. But it seems like he's staying with Spider-man until he's forced off.

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

He's perfect for Slott's book. They definitely work well together.
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

Quote Originally Posted by midnightshrink View Post
    I don't know I don't like to bash art but his style is too cartoony for my taste and kind of a little messy sometimes in the sense of storytelling it is hard to see what is going on in the page a lot. But again, its a matter of opinions. Art is like that.
    I couldn't have said it better.

I would never spend money on a book illustrated by Ramos or Canete for that matter. It only encourages Marvel to continue using them