Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ish Kabbible View Post
    My eyes tell me his stuff is ugliness personfied. My hands tell me they could better even with broken fingers. No one can tell me to appreciate his stuff (I can't say artwork)
    Seriously why Marvel allows a stuff-maker (can't say artist) to work on a high profile book whose stuff repels many people is so wrong. If they replace him, more people would buy the book. They certainly wouldn't lose any readers
    You don't have to like his work. His style isn't for everyone, just like any other artist. You're sinking to the level of personal attack though, and it's just unnecessary. How would you like it if some amateur went around in public saying that he could do your job better with broken hands? It's just rude. That's all.
    "Women... they come and go, but the Jonah is eternal." - ViewtifulJC

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Slott View Post
    I'm going to make this very simple.
    This is from someone who's worked over 20 years in this industry and written over 1 out of every 10 issues of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN.

No man on Earth could have drawn SPIDER-ISLAND other than Humberto Ramos.

No one could have stuck to or maintained that grueling schedule and have that book-- with most issues going over the regular page count-- with IMMENSE crowd shots on every other page-- and HIT those deadlines without dropping a stitch-- in a book where EVERY issue had crossovers and tie-in issues playing into it.

He did it with style.
    He did it with intensity.
    He did it with artistry.
    And he did it with a work ethic to which I have NEVER seen equaled.

Every single artist who has ever drawn a page of a comic will have their fans AND detractors.

I'm not saying this as a fan.
    I'm saying this as a pro.
    Humberto Ramos is one of the finest Spider-Man artists to grace a Marvel Comic.

'Nuff Said.
    Right on. Ramos is iconic for 21st century Spidey. IMO.

(along with Caselli. imo)

btw: Ditko was the original iconic Spidey artist. And personally, I didn't (and still don't) care for Ditko's work all that much. I was much more partial to Romita Sr. and (my favorite) Ross Andru.

I love Ramo's art. Some don't apparently.

But love 'em or hate 'em, some artists put their stamp on a book and it comes to define an era.

Sorry for all the Ramo's haters out there, but it's too late. :) It's pretty much a done deal ..
    Last edited by Von; 12-09-2012 at 08:06 PM.

I think Humberto Ramos and Greg Capullo is pretty similar in style?! They both have some kind of dark cartoony art style. I think Greg Capullo is a much better story teller, though. It's easier to see what happens in his panels and they are often just more interesting. Look at some angles when Bruce and Alfred has a discussion during the Court of Owls story, or that lovely Batman #6. Although he doesn't seem to be that inventive, Ramos art still looks good. And Batman is just a better book than ASM. Maybe that's why it sells better?

Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    btw: Ditko was the original iconic Spidey artist. And personally, I didn't (and still don't) care for Ditko's work all that much. I was much more partial to Romita Sr. and (my favorite) Ross Andru.

But love 'em or hate 'em, some artists put their stamp on a book and it comes to define an era.

Sorry for all the Ramo's haters out there, but it's too late. :) It's pretty much a done deal ..
    Yes, I would agree for the most part. Romita Sr. and Ross Andru are probably my two favorite spider-man artists of all time. However, personally I would put Ditko in there as well. Historically, I would say that both Ditko and Romita Sr. are the two greatest and influential artists of spider-man all time. Their work is some of the most desired among collectors for the entire silver age period by either marvel or dc.

I've never liked him since his X-Men days

I cant get jiggy with this, I'm sorry

Art is always a personal preference, I myself like my art more cartoony.

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozed View Post
    I think Humberto Ramos and Greg Capullo is pretty similar in style?! They both have some kind of dark cartoony art style. I think Greg Capullo is a much better story teller, though. It's easier to see what happens in his panels and they are often just more interesting. Look at some angles when Bruce and Alfred has a discussion during the Court of Owls story, or that lovely Batman #6. Although he doesn't seem to be that inventive, Ramos art still looks good. And Batman is just a better book than ASM. Maybe that's why it sells better?
    I agree how their art is very similar.

Quote Originally Posted by neverender View Post
    I agree how their art is very similar.
    Who do you prefer?

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozed View Post
    Who do you prefer?
    Capullo's pencils are a bit more detailed to me, but I'd prefer either honestly

Comic Book Fanatic!!! Memphis Raines's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post

I'm sorry, but I don't see Marvel using Ramos' depiction of Spider-Man on Spider-Man merchandise like they did with Bagley for an entire decade, and I don't see artists lining up to use Ramos' depiction of Spider-Man as a template for how they should draw Spidey, like people did with McFarlane's Spidey for 20 years and Romita Sr.'s for 30 years.

I think what a lot of people WILL do 10, 20, or 30 years from now---especially those who aren't Spidey fans and who are objective about the art in the book---is look back at Ramos' art and go, "WTF?!? How on Earth did this guy get so much work on Marvel's FLAGSHIP character in his FLAGSHIP book?!?"
    Last edited by Memphis Raines; 12-23-2012 at 12:17 PM.

Comic Book Fanatic!!! Memphis Raines's Avatar

Ramos and Greg Capullo's styles similar?!? Aside from them both being "cartoony" artists, I don't see any similarity between their styles at all. Capullo's art is MUCH more controlled, is much cleaner, far better story telling wise, and he also has a nice grasp of human anatomy and how to draw human faces (even if he does do them in a cartoonish manner).

Overall, Capullo's style is just all around cleaner and more versatile than Ramos'. Do you think Ramos could have successfully and EFFECTIVELY penciled a run on a dark comic like Spawn like Capullo did?!? Ramos penciled some of the darkest chapters of X-Men: Messiah Complex and his junky, cluttered panels and overly cartoonish pencils were very hard to follow and COMPLETELY took you out of the dark mood of the story.

To be fair, Ramos has cleaned up and toned down his pencils quite a bit since being on ASM (he REALLY sucked at drawing Spidey on the Jenkins stories a decade ago), but for me personally, even though Ramos' art is a lot more tolerable these days, he still does stuff in every other panel that reminds you why you disliked him so much in the first place. For instance, any civilian woman's face he draws, or the even-for-Spider-Man-super weird anatomy he still gets carried away with sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis Raines View Post
    Ramos and Greg Capullo's styles similar?!? Aside from them both being "cartoony" artists, I don't see any similarity between their styles at all. Capullo's art is MUCH more controlled, is much cleaner, far better story telling wise, and he also has a nice grasp of human anatomy and how to draw human faces (even if he does do them in a cartoonish manner).

Overall, Capullo's style is just all around cleaner and more versatile than Ramos'. Do you think Ramos could have successfully and EFFECTIVELY penciled a run on a dark comic like Spawn like Capullo did?!? Ramos penciled some of the darkest chapters of X-Men: Messiah Complex and his junky, cluttered panels and overly cartoonish pencils were very hard to follow and COMPLETELY took you out of the dark mood of the story.

To be fair, Ramos has cleaned up and toned down his pencils quite a bit since being on ASM (he REALLY sucked at drawing Spidey on the Jenkins stories a decade ago), but for me personally, even though Ramos' art is a lot more tolerable these days, he still does stuff in every other panel that reminds you why you disliked him so much in the first place. For instance, any civilian woman's face he draws, or the even-for-Spider-Man-super weird anatomy he still gets carried away with sometimes.
    I think you're right on the money with these comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis Raines View Post

I agree that Capullo is a far better storyteller, it's hard to even understand what happens when Ramos draws sometimes, and Capullo has been just brilliant in Batman. But sure Ramos can do dark, he did an excellent Green Goblin story penned by Paul Jenkins a few years ago. And I think they both excell in making detailed panels.