View Poll Results: They are all awesome, but who has the less impressive stories?

Voters
43. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Alan Moore

2 4.65%
  • Frank Miller

27 62.79%
  • Neil Gaiman

6 13.95%
  • Grant Morrison

8 18.60%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Poll: Moore, Gaiman, Morrison and 80s-Miller, who's the weakest link?

Ok, out of these who do you consider is less impressive. Being prolific or currently active does not make them better or worse, just focus on the stories.

80s Miller: Daredevil, Dark Knight Returns, Year One, Ronin (maybe Sin City and 300, exclude if you don't like).
    Moore: Watchmen, Swamp Thing, V, From Hell, Supreme, Tom Strong, Top 10, Promethea, Killing Joke, etc.
    Gaiman: Sandman, Black Orchid, Books of Magic, Violent Cases, Green Flame, Miracle Man, Eternals, etc.
    Morrison: Zenith, Animal Man, Doom Patrol, Aztek, JLA, We3, Filth, Invisibles, 7 Soldiers, Batman, Final Crisis, etc.
    Last edited by Rafa-Rivas-2099; 12-04-2012 at 02:26 PM.
    Characters: Elongated Man, Batman, Satellite JLA, Super Buddies, Sandman, Swamp Thing
    Writers: Moore, Gaiman, Cooke, Giffen/DeMatteis, Miller, Dini, Morrison, Waid, Meltzer, McDuffie, Barr, Englehart

BANNED

Crap. I've just clicked on Gaiman by mistake when I meant to click on Morrison. That's what I get for posting when I'm on flu medication.

Dammit, Ingram!!

Still surprising. However, I suspected orrison might start to beat Miller, despite me saying "80s-Miller". His material is an embarrasment while Morrison is still in shape.

I think Moore and Gaiman are going to be safe.
    Characters: Elongated Man, Batman, Satellite JLA, Super Buddies, Sandman, Swamp Thing
    Writers: Moore, Gaiman, Cooke, Giffen/DeMatteis, Miller, Dini, Morrison, Waid, Meltzer, McDuffie, Barr, Englehart

Miller. I liked his stuff from the eighties but it was just merely good.
    BB

None, really-- or at least from the standpoint of the '80s. Howard Chaykin should be on that list, too. His work was every bit as important, and if it wasn't for the success of American Flagg!, DC probably wouldn't have taken the chance on books like DKR and Watchmen.

Though with Morrison, I like 20% of his work, hate 40% and find the rest 40% just to be okay.
    BB

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    Though with Morrison, I like 20% of his work, hate 40% and find the rest 40% just to be okay.
    I still have trouble believing Morrison would beat Year One or DKR, and with what, Doom Patrol? Which was kinda my point with "80s-Miller". I think a lot of people kinda make DKR or YO less impressive in their minds because of Strikes Back and All-Star.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafa-Rivas-2099 View Post
    I still have trouble believing Morrison would beat Year One or DKR, and with what, Doom Patrol? Which was kinda my point with "80s-Miller". I think a lot of people kinda make DKR or YO less impressive in their minds because of Strikes Back and All-Star.
    Eh, I never cared for Year One that much myself :s
    BB

The Older Waiter Brave Sir Robbin's Avatar

Any time I get the chance to vote Frank Miller last any anything, I'm going to take it.

I will even give an honest break down:
    Neil Gaiman: GOD! For me, Sandman is better than the complete works of the rest of them put together.
    Alan Moore: Very entertaining and thoughtful when he is on his game. I even don't like Watchmen but other stuff I have read, like Swamp Thing, has been great.
    Grant Morrison: Who cares, I am have not paid much attention to his work despite him being an icon. What is important for this argument is that he is not Frank Miller.
    Frank Miller: corny, stupid, cliche driven, cheap noire that is nauseatingly self important.
    Current Favorites: The Goon, Batgirl, Chew, Alex + Ada,The Sixth Gun, Saga, Diskordia, Think Tank, Archie, Rachel Rising, Red Sonja, X, Wonder Woman, Powerpuff Girls, Ms. Marvel

SHOW ME YOUR THUMBS!! BohemiaDrinker's Avatar

Miller, for sure. As good as he is(was) in his style, he`s always been a one trick pony. I love DK, Ronin and Daredevil as much as the next guy, but they`re all way to similar to each other in more ways that I care to elaborate.

Quote Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robbin View Post
    Frank Miller: corny, stupid, cliche driven, cheap noire that is nauseatingly self important.
    Even Year One?

Why not make a straight forward poll and ask who's work is the best? See, you are going all Morrison and us and can't do it in a simple but effective way :-)
    "You can't trust them as poets either. The true poet is anonymous, as to his habits, but these boys have to look, act, and apparently smell like poets"
    Flannery O'Connor on the beats.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl O'Neill View Post
    Why not make a straight forward poll and ask who's work is the best? See, you are going all Morrison and us and can't do it in a simple but effective way :-)
    hahahahahahahahahahaha

Moore >>> Morrison >>> Gaiman >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Miller

That's from best to worst, of course.

And you forgot to mention three of Morrison's main works, Rafa, all creator-owned at that - The Filth, The Invisibles and We3. Five with Flex Mentallo and Seaguy. And his X-Men run, at least as important as his JLA run, maybe more.
    (And no need to mention Final Crisis twice, really :p).

Same with V for Vendetta and LXG for Moore. And Miracleman mentioned for Gaiman's run, but not for Moore's??? Come on!

And I'd add Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader and 1602 for Gaiman.

That way the comparisons between the four authors are even more striking.
    Last edited by passer-by; 12-04-2012 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by passer-by View Post
    Moore >>> Morrison >>> Gaiman >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Miller

That's from best to worst, of course.

And you forgot to mention three of Morrison's main works, Rafa, all creator-owned at that - The Filth, The Invisibles and We3. Also Flex Mentallo and Seaguy.
    (And no need to mention Final Crisis twice, really :p).

Same with V for Vendetta and LXG for Moore. And Miracleman mentioned for Gaiman's run, but not for Moore's??? Come on!

That way the comparisons between the four authors are even more striking.
    Thanks. Formulating polls is tricky. I have seen that the way things are enunciated change the outcome a lot. I think that perhaps if I had asked for the best between Watchmen, Dark Kigh, Dream Country and The Invisible Kingdom I'd have had a more fair fight. I think Miller's recent insanity crates a perception problem.