Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cam Stewart: No berger, no Seaguy 3?

He tweeted something to that effect, essentially saying he doubts they'll actually publish it, I suspect because Berger was the big champion and it was a huge loss for the company.

That said, it seems doubtful to me. No one worships Grant Morrison the way that Dan Didio worships Grant Morrison -- seems to me that he'll give him whatever he wants to keep him happy. Notice how he ripped away Wonder Woman Earth One from the more 'company man' Rucka, has allowed him to do whatever he wants on Batman unmolested, likely begged him to get on Action for the relaunch, given him as much time as one could ask on Multiversity, had total faith in him for Final crisis....

Hoping that this is just some unwarranted negativity from Stewart (who, admittedly, Didio has never much liked as an artist).
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

That would a tremendous shame, but I suspect it's just the beginning of the fallout from Karen's departure.

I hope not. Not that I care for Morrison or Seaguy but for Vertigo.
    Vertigo should be a legacy and continue, showing that Karen’s contributions remain valued. - JH Williams III
    BB

Vertigo will probably close up shop after the Sandman book comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell D. View Post
    Vertigo will probably close up shop after the Sandman book comes out.
    Doubtful when they still have a fair amount of series coming out and there's more to come.
    BB

There is zero chance of Vertigo actually shuttering the operation, though I believe we'll see an end to the kind of risk taking, groundbreaking work with which it made its bones. If we're being honest, though, we haven't seen work like that in a long time; those earlier Vertigo books often felt like Manifestos from their authors, they really had something to say not just about their stories or their characters but about life, about the way we relate to each other, the world around us (this was also true of Ellis' Transmet, out of Piranha/Paradox)

While Vertigo has always been a bastion of quality, that element of the books has largely been missing for a decade now. We're getting some great books with some high concepts - I absolutely adore 100 Bullets, Sweet Tooth, American Vampire, BKV's various efforts, etc - but that kind of personal, philosophical drive is almost all gone. Mike Carey is the last person even touching on that, playing at the way that fiction and reality intersect and interact. Grant Morrison's Seaguy likewise, but even his more recent Joe The Barbarian was far more "Hollywood High Concept", as is his "Happy".

Whats odd is I'm not seeing that kind of illuminating work ANYWHERE in anything that approaches the mainstream, right now. Image, for all it's incredible quality, doesn't seem to be putting that kind of work out anymore, but for a few blips here and there (Ales Kot seems to be trying to say something, even if so far it's just been a less deft regurgitation of what Morrison said a decade ago).

I suppose one has to go further afield -- into the self published or Top Shelf -- to see that kind of work.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Yeah sure okay.
    BB

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    Doubtful when they still have a fair amount of series coming out and there's more to come.
    That doesn't mean much, though.
    They can move those to the DC, or cancel them outright. The sales on the books aren't great, right? If they can cancel Hellblazer, I would say any are fair game.

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    There is zero chance of Vertigo actually shuttering the operation, though I believe we'll see an end to the kind of risk taking, groundbreaking work with which it made its bones. If we're being honest, though, we haven't seen work like that in a long time; those earlier Vertigo books often felt like Manifestos from their authors, they really had something to say not just about their stories or their characters but about life, about the way we relate to each other, the world around us (this was also true of Ellis' Transmet, out of Piranha/Paradox)

While Vertigo has always been a bastion of quality, that element of the books has largely been missing for a decade now. We're getting some great books with some high concepts - I absolutely adore 100 Bullets, Sweet Tooth, American Vampire, BKV's various efforts, etc - but that kind of personal, philosophical drive is almost all gone. Mike Carey is the last person even touching on that, playing at the way that fiction and reality intersect and interact. Grant Morrison's Seaguy likewise, but even his more recent Joe The Barbarian was far more "Hollywood High Concept", as is his "Happy".

Whats odd is I'm not seeing that kind of illuminating work ANYWHERE in anything that approaches the mainstream, right now. Image, for all it's incredible quality, doesn't seem to be putting that kind of work out anymore, but for a few blips here and there (Ales Kot seems to be trying to say something, even if so far it's just been a less deft regurgitation of what Morrison said a decade ago).

I suppose one has to go further afield -- into the self published or Top Shelf -- to see that kind of work.
    Those books are still being published, be it at Fantagraphics or even actual book publishers, along with the self-published units.
    Vertigo was a nice safety net for those kind of books, but the recent contracts have driven creators who want full control of their work away.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell D. View Post
    That doesn't mean much, though.
    They can move those to the DC, or cancel them outright. The sales on the books aren't great, right? If they can cancel Hellblazer, I would say any are fair game.
    They're creator-owned work. Don't see them moving those books to the DCU. Their sales are good enough to keep.
    BB

Uhh, yeah.
    Anyway, on Vertigo closing shop, in the word of the Bosstones, it's just the impression that I get.

It's just something that'll you have to wait for to believe.
    It wouldn't make any sense to cancel the current series that they're having though.
    Last edited by Billy Batson; 12-05-2012 at 07:05 AM.
    BB

It wouldn't make any sense to cancel the current series that they're having though.
    You're right, it wouldn't, but this IS DC we're talking about...

They're creator-owned work. Don't see them moving those books to the DCU. Their sales are good enough to keep.
    Well no, they wouldn't be moved to the DCU but just because they're creator owned doesn't mean that they have to be published by Vertigo. For example the Insurgent mini which kicks off in January is creator owned and is being published under the DC Comics label.

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

If they can move characters that were, somewhat, closed off from the DCU to the main DCU and then cancel HB, they can do whatever the fuck they want.
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!