Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Is Smallville good?

I need a new show to watch and am wondering if Smallville is any good.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud576 View Post
    I need a new show to watch and am wondering if Smallville is any good.
    I only watched it for the first few seasons and then I feel it got kind of stupid until the last season where everything was brought together. If youre looking for a semi serious show like Arrow which is "dark and gritty" then you probably wont find it here. There are soe great episodes and some stinkers, just like every show though.

For the first season or two it goes by a villain of the week type scenario usually relying on the meteor shower to infuse people with powers...

Well, stupid in a good way or stupid in a bad way?

Smallville reminds me of a long winded soap opera. It's mildly satisfying per episode, but each episode draws you into a bigger overall plot (hence the soap opera comparison). Lots of pretty faces and bodies all in angst. The production values are pretty good though.

I've watched all the seasons, but the first 3 are the best ones in my opinion.
    Once they leave high school (season 5) and go to college/working at the daily planet it gets a lot worse. Especially after some of the main characters leave the show. Brainiac is an awesome villain, though.

Anyway, a lot of episodes involve the use of kryptonite and throughout the show ridiculous experiments and other things are happening.
    The main reason for me to keep watching were the actors, but after spoilers:
    Lana and Lex become unlikable (and eventually both leave), Jonathan Kent dies, Lional Luthor dies, Martha Kent leaves for a while
    end of spoilers it becomes more boring.
    I'd say at least try watching the first few seasons, if you like those decide for yourself if you'll continue. For me it's all downhill from there on.
    Last edited by Venom Symbiote; 12-04-2012 at 07:31 AM.

I might be the only Sup fan who has never even watched an episode. Always thought it looks stupid. But I'm going to watch it soon. Arrow is great so I have some faith.

Quote Originally Posted by flottanna View Post
    I might be the only Sup fan who has never even watched an episode. Always thought it looks stupid. But I'm going to watch it soon. Arrow is great so I have some faith.
    You're not alone brotherin ;)

Depends on your taste. I think it's absolutely horrible, but a lot of people like it. It's kind of like combining a show like Dawson's Creek with the idea of Superman. If that sounds appealing to you then check it out.
    Life looks better in black and white.

For what it's worth , if you do not have too high of an expectations , it's worth a watch. All the other guest superhero appearances doesn't come till like season 5 onwards though.

First season were the meteor freak of the week. Jensen Ackles joined the cast in season 4 for one season.
    Last edited by marshal99; 12-04-2012 at 10:02 AM.

To me and my family watching the whole show from beginning to end as well as the Smallville season 11 comic I thought it was pretty good show overall which combined various Superman elements in a way making the story unique and interesting. The best seasons were 1-4 and 8-10 because they showed Clark as his most superman like and to me only had a few bad episodes while season 5-7 had a few good episodes but some of the episodes just made me roll my eyes. But in the end, it is one of the better WB/CW and live action Superman shows(compared to Lois and Clark(especially seasons 3-4), Superman 3-returns, etc) and more faithful to many elements of the Superman and DC comics universe and characters both old and new.

Just try the first few episodes out and decide if you want to continue watching.
    A Comic book fan till I die.

Season 5 - 6 were cool as they start to introduce heroes that are not meteor freaks - aquaman , bart allen impulse , green arrow , cyborg , black canary , martian manhunter etc.

Of course , in season 9 , they have the absolute justice 2 hour special episode with the justice society.
    Last edited by marshal99; 12-04-2012 at 10:22 AM.

The show was uneven.

The soap elements were at points stretched out to a painful extent. And 10 years is a bit much for Clark to become Superman- especially by the last few seasons where all he lacked was the costume and the name.

But there were moments- sometimes even whole runs of episodes that were fun and actually seemed to get Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    And 10 years is a bit much for Clark to become Superman
    Well, to be fair, the show started with a 14 year-old Clark Kent. After ten years, he became Superman at 25 years-old. I believe Superman in the New 52 became Superman when he was 22, although he couldn't fly and he wasn't wearing the iconic suit either. I'd say a difference of about two years isn't too bad.

But there were moments- sometimes even whole runs of episodes that were fun and actually seemed to get Superman.
    I agree. Like you said, the show was uneven, but ultimately the good outweighed the bad for me.

Quote Originally Posted by misslane38 View Post
    Well, to be fair, the show started with a 14 year-old Clark Kent. After ten years, he became Superman at 25 years-old. I believe Superman in the New 52 became Superman when he was 22, although he couldn't fly and he wasn't wearing the iconic suit either. I'd say a difference of about two years isn't too bad.
    Clark in most medium become Superman at 25- George Reeves Superman, Superman Birthright, John Byrne Man of Steel, etc. If not 21(Superman:Earth One, New 52 Superman, It's Superman novel, etc). Clark technically started between 22 and 23 when he joined the Daily Planet and become the Red Blue Blur and officially became Superman at 25 which is earlier than Dean Cain Clark who became Superman at 27 and Christopher Reeve who became Superman between 28 and 30.

I agree. Like you said, the show was uneven, but ultimately the good outweighed the bad for me.
    This describes my feelings exactly.
    A Comic book fan till I die.

The Luthor's are really well written in the show. I really enjoyed the show. Season 9 had my best scene (the bullet scene where he saves Chloe from checkmate), but all in all, it was an exciting journey
    Cerebral Assassin