Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Does anyone one think Spidey having Martial Arts skills is wrong?

I mean he already has the perfect fighting concepts the far exceed any seasoned fighter. His enhcanced spider cordination and super reactions should make Spiderman learn on his own mastered fighting techniques, until he doesn't need the Spider Sense and is naturally gifted with physical prowess. And it gives Spiderman impromptu creativity in combat skills, I think it would make more sense of Spidey didn't learn how to fight like the professional martial art master, Spiderman beat Iron FIst and Wolverine in the past, so why would he need to learn Kung Fu from someone who knows his skills succeed the concept of Kung Fu?

That's like saying that a pitcher that throws a great fast ball shouldn't learn to throw other pitches.
    Spider-Man from the beginning! Last ish: ASM #15 - Chameleon hires Kraven (first appearance!) to kill Spidey.

Releasing Johnny's torch Ravin' Ray's Avatar
    Where the diwatas and the Triumph Division call home

Because Julia Carpenter said that the fighter's skills he learned while he lost his spider-sense are separate and independent of the innate skills that come with that sense, even if they achive the same end. When he regained his spider-sense, they worked together in synergy.
    Johnny Storm was dead; who is this resurrected Johnny Storm?
    "Here, hold my Annihilus…" Johnny Storm, Fantastic Four #601

Splendiferous Spider Hero ImmortalIronFist's Avatar

What about when he inevitably gets depowered while fighting a villan again? He'll probably need more than just webshooters to defend himself.
    Hey, that tiger is flying a spaceship.

Lets get real, if your life is at risk everyday...

Its logical to improved your skills to have a chance to live tomorrow, thats is why i am all for spider-man improving his skill set and arsenal.

Spidey's fighting style is purely instinctive and experience however he gets lots of beat down from DD and Capt...best example is the Spidey vs Cap in Civil War.

Part of the Spider-man vs. Batman debate..favors batman because he knows all the moves and tactics to counter a stronger fighter like spidey.

It's easily the best thing Mr. Slott has added to the character.
    When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.-C.S.Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    I agree with this as well, it helps with Peter being able to know how to fight instead of just throwing random punches all the time.
    Pull: Avengers, New Avengers, Mighty Avengers, Captain America, Superior Spider-Man, Superior S.M.T.U, Ultimate Universe, Chew, Invincible, Batman & Smallville.

I don't think it affects his character too much, really. Even though he knows a bit of kung-fu now, its not like it's been a get-out-of-jail-free card.

It's wrong not to learn more.

Lawn-mowing Enthusiast EuphemismForSex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    Agreed...

I'm surprised he didn't learn sooner. He's been beaten my weaker, but more experienced foes before. Should've occurred sooner that if he learned and had his powers, he'd be better off.
    Bad news everyone...

Are there any recent battles where Peter displays his martial arts skill? I'm curious.
    "Remember that one time during the fight when it looked like you might actually win? No? Me neither." Spider-Man

One of Peter's weaknesses is that he's too depenedent on his spider-sense. So learning martial arts refined his fighting skills.

Quote Originally Posted by prescribeddrone View Post
    It's wrong not to learn more.

This. 10char.

it's perfect. I support it. I just hope that other writers/editors in the future actually remember it exists. We'll see.

I don't mind Spidey learning martial arts, I just don't see how it'll really be displayed now that he's got his Spider Sense back. It's a nice element, but it'll be more or less forgotten until maybe the next time he loses some of his powers; sorta like how Wolverine continues to take punishment and just slash away because of his healing factor and only really showing skill whenever his healing factor is out.
    Last edited by HeckBoy; 12-07-2012 at 07:16 AM.