Default Tech question: Expanding the RAM on my PC

Whenever I have a tech question, I always find the wisest sages on the net here, so I hope you don't mind my asking once again.

I have decided to upgrade the memory on my mother's PC. She currently has 1 GB of RAM (2x 500 MB cards). I have purchased 2x 1 GB cards to install (and yes, it is the right kind. I checked). There are four open memory card ports. Can I just add these in and have a total of 3 GB of RAM, or do all active slots need to have the same amount of RAM in them?

Thanks!

i take it that the initial 1 gig is in slot 1 and 3, so as long as you put the new memory in slot 2 and 4, your safe

Quote Originally Posted by 7thangel View Post
    i take it that the initial 1 gig is in slot 1 and 3, so as long as you put the new memory in slot 2 and 4, your safe
    Thanks much for this!

Silly follow-up question, but how do you know which slot is which (#1, 2, 3, 4)?

Hunker down!

Quote Originally Posted by shaxper View Post
    Thanks much for this!

Silly follow-up question, but how do you know which slot is which (#1, 2, 3, 4)?
    Will typically be marked as such on your motherboard. If not, you'll want to download the motherboard manual, which will have a schematic layout indicating the slots.

You gentlemen are the best. I greatly appreciate the assistance!

Just be sure to check the specs to make sure it can handle that much. There's an upper limit and sometimes you'll need a bigger power supply if you're upgrading.
    'Dox out.

"But I think the difference is, when Democrats go crazy, they get shown the door. When Republicans go crazy they get appointed to the Science committee. " - Shawn Hopkins

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

Champions: The Conclave
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

Okay, I installed the new memory, and the computer seems to be handling it find, except that, when I check the system info from the control panel, it says that I have 2.93 GB of RAM instead of 3.

Does this mean some of the memory is corrupted, being used in some aspect of the OS that isn't counted, or what?

Hunker down!

Quote Originally Posted by shaxper View Post
    Okay, I installed the new memory, and the computer seems to be handling it find, except that, when I check the system info from the control panel, it says that I have 2.93 GB of RAM instead of 3.

Does this mean some of the memory is corrupted, being used in some aspect of the OS that isn't counted, or what?
    Some of it may be going to video.

The short answer is there's nothing to worry about and the long answer is commonly known as the 3GB barrier.

Quote Originally Posted by Tadhg View Post
    The short answer is there's nothing to worry about and the long answer is commonly known as the 3GB barrier.
    So there's no danger to my computer in keeping this setup? I was a bit concerned about it being an odd number when I know how important it is to keep the memory cards balanced. Granted, I suppose it's probably pulling .5 GB from each new card to get the odd number.

Assuming this is safe, I'm actually pretty excited to have hit the barrier, as it suggests that I'm running my computer at maximum capacity. Now, had I purchased 4 GB of RAM and hit the 3 GB barrier, I might be a bit more frustrated, but I can certainly live with having .07 GB of RAM unused.

Thanks much!

regardless of 32 or 64 bit, a certain amount of memory is allocated to the system, even with a discreet video card. it's a common and understandable complaint

making a wild assumption, your mother should be okay, like most users.