Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Man I need to get me some cartoon religion. Venture Brotherian disciples here I come.

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Surtur View Post
    Any religion that has anything to do with Captain Planet, good or bad, is by definition awesome.
    Unless like most religions, it causes emotional distress when mentioned. This sort of thing has caused genuine flame war problems in the past. Should we now ban mentioning Captain Planet entirely, the way we can't talk about Jesus? Should we do the same to TTGL, since that was similarly a religion for another poster at one point? If someone wanted to now claim Superman or Mario or Goku as their savior, does that mean all the rest of us can now never hint at any of them losing a fight or in any sort of negative context, or else the thread will get locked due to unknowing insult? All due respect to those who have faith in a higher power, be it God or Gaia or the Elder Dragons or what have you, when religion starts becoming a shackle and a bludgeon to ruin expression, it starts being a problem.

That said, I apologize if any of my previous statements on Captain Planet have let to insult, but I reiterate: if seeing Captain Planet or anyone else get beaten up in a silly forum match-up is that genuinely insulting, then it would be best for that person to just avoid such threads in the future.
    Last edited by Sharkerbob; 12-05-2012 at 07:57 AM.
    It's a lie! My pants were off the entire time!

I've got a new site for RPGs: Total Pantaloonacy

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Valliant View Post
    Man I need to get me some cartoon religion. Venture Brotherian disciples here I come.
    I was always a fan of the Secret of Mana and Wild ARMs mythologies, myself.
    It's a lie! My pants were off the entire time!

I've got a new site for RPGs: Total Pantaloonacy

Since Cap is weak against hatred and evil, he pretty much falls over dead if he gets within a mile of the Plutonian. The dude wiped out all of Singapore because the UN delegate lied to him, flash-fried men, women, and children, and his first act upon reaching earth after imprisonment was to burn his logo into the United States.
    "When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."

- C.S. Lewis

Dory St. Johns on Wikicadia

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    Unless like most religions, it causes emotional distress when mentioned. This sort of thing has caused genuine flame war problems in the past. Should we now ban mentioning Captain Planet entirely, the way we can't talk about Jesus? Should we do the same to TTGL, since that was similarly a religion for another poster at one point? If someone wanted to now claim Superman or Mario or Goku as their savior, does that mean all the rest of us can now never hint at any of them losing a fight or in any sort of negative context, or else the thread will get locked due to unknowing insult? All due respect to those who have faith in a higher power, be it God or Gaia or the Elder Dragons or what have you, when religion starts becoming a shackle and a bludgeon to ruin expression, it starts being a problem.

That said, I apologize if any of my previous statements on Captain Planet have let to insult, but I reiterate: if seeing Captain Planet or anyone else get beaten up in a silly forum match-up is that genuinely insulting, then it would be best for that person to just avoid such threads in the future.
    At some point the onus is on the person prone to suffering such offense to just avoid the thread entirely. As long as it's not character bashing special affection for a Saturday morning cartoon character shouldn't qualify them a religious figure that one needs to tip toe around. Common sense should have some weight.

There's a voice, that keeps on calling me....

He's not joking. He's had threads about Captain Planet locked because it insults his religion.
    Well.... shit. o_0

Consider me enlightened.
    Yes, I know the voices aren't real. But they do have some VERY good ideas....

Chilling out at the center of the Solar System

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
    Since Cap is weak against hatred and evil, he pretty much falls over dead if he gets within a mile of the Plutonian. The dude wiped out all of Singapore because the UN delegate lied to him, flash-fried men, women, and children, and his first act upon reaching earth after imprisonment was to burn his logo into the United States.
    His weakness tends to fluctuate, as I recall. It's up for debate whether hate that's not even directed at Cap would simply incapacitate him.

Everyone's favorite host Guy Smiley's Avatar

I was always a fan of the Secret of Mana and Wild ARMs mythologies, myself.
    I have little to add to this except:

Oh come on, it was inevitable at this point...

Quote Originally Posted by Radical View Post
    Okay, that's it.

Newsflash: I am a Planeteer. Captain Planet is my religion and my god. Through him I have learned to love the Earth. I recycle every chance I get, waste as little of our precious resources as I can, and in general try to be as good a person as I can be. Your hatred is NOT good for the environment.

Seriously, if all you guys are going to do is troll and bash, this thread deserves to be closed. I just want Cap to win one of these for a change.
    Yeah, none of that's going on in here at all, if you can't come into these threads without experiencing this kind of duress over it it might be best if you just avoid them.

Edit: Going by Pluto's wiki entry it appears he has pretty decent atomic level manipulation, which I don't recall Cap Planet ever displaying an ability that would defend against such. Also intangibility.
    Last edited by Hiromi; 12-05-2012 at 01:45 PM.
    "Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die." -Mel Brooks
    OIF 08-09
    OEF 10-11
    Do it yourself tech support link

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
    Heck the very first issue has him vaporize a little girl and he whispers "I'm a super-hero" in her ear right before he does it. That is creepy levels of hate, though honestly..if strong enough hate can take down Cap he should get weak just by walking through any major city.
    A woman can move a lot faster with her skirt up than a man can with his pants down.

Quote Originally Posted by Radical View Post
    I just want Cap to win one of these for a change.
    You could make a Captain Planet Vs. Daredevil thread...
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    You could make a Captain Planet Vs. Daredevil thread...
    Heck you can go up higher then that. He should take out JLU Supes quite easily.
    A woman can move a lot faster with her skirt up than a man can with his pants down.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Valliant View Post
    Ehhh I'm more of a Boosh and/or Kakowian myself.
    Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.

Everything for Big Fire BitVyper's Avatar

The hate thing only really has one instance of doing anything to Cap, and it didn't depower or incapacitate him the way toxic stuff did. IIRC he just seemed a bit staggered by it. Plus, this was uh, that sort of mythological Hitler you see in fiction all the time, whose hate single-handedly fueled the entire holocaust with no other factors, as opposed to a kind-of-dumb, opportunistic sociopath.

Ultimately, while it made him sweat and cringe a bit, Cap was still able to pick up a missile and fly away with it, so his powers were still working.
    Last edited by BitVyper; 12-05-2012 at 04:46 PM.
    I swim through a sea of stars
    without looking back to shore.
    Faster than light, bending time

Forever
    Wherever

I was fed up. Sorry. :(
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

-Abraham Lincoln

"We thought that by making your world more violent, we would make it more 'realistic,' more 'adult.' God help us if that's what it means."

-Grant Morrison to Animal Man, Animal Man #26