Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    What does the sales pitch to the network have to do with what the show is about?
    Let's actually remember history and point out that the original pilot was still "too brainy" and the execs asked them to tone it down.

This episode happened by the time the channel execs dumbed down the show . . . for Americans!

But let's not ignore the context of what the episode was discussing and when because simply saying that some old goofy stuff is goofy isn't really digging into anything.
    Ditto! I'm glad you brought up the finer points Sighphi. Youngsters are always saying "Star Trek is boring and complicated" but today's ADHD society has made impossible to realize that "Star Trek is for thinking people".

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    What does the sales pitch to the network have to do with what the show is about?
    Let's actually remember history and point out that the original pilot was still "too brainy" and the execs asked them to tone it down.

This episode happened by the time the channel execs dumbed down the show . . . for Americans!

But let's not ignore the context of what the episode was discussing and when because simply saying that some old goofy stuff is goofy isn't really digging into anything.
    Ditto! I'm glad you brought up the finer points Sighphi. Youngsters are always saying "Star Trek is boring and complicated" but today's ADHD society has made impossible to realize that "Star Trek is for thinking people".

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalTailor View Post
    I would have to disagree with you regarding J.J. Abrams Star Trek. The movie wasn't at all like The Expendables in my humble opinion. I think that Abrams Star Trek movie was actually pretty good and I was rather surprised by how good it was although I went into it with very low expectations. Nonetheless, I was quite satisfied with Abrams Trek because even though he was aiming for the Star Wars fun factor he still kept the Roddenberry spirit of Star Trek TOS in tact which was evidenced quite clearly at the end of the movie when Kirk extends an olive branch of peace to Nero.
    It was a good balance of the two approaches: ST principles and humor with plenty of action. No complaints about lens flares from this guy, either!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    Not particularly well, mind you...

It had ambition and went down swinging. And it a crap load better then Generations, insurrection, and Nemesis.
    Cyclops ad portas

I love the JJ Abrams Star Trek movie. It was visually stunning. I love the concept of altered timeline and the new possibilities. I'm optimistic for the new one.
    Olivier Coipel - The best damned artist on the planet!

Shout out to Kev Walker! You're doing a hell of a job!

Find & follow me on Twitter & Instagram. Check out arfguy

Quote Originally Posted by jesse_custer View Post
    It's goofy and silly, but it deals with questions about God and prophecy, so it is not merely an excuse to get a bunch of characters together for one-liners and action sequences, a la The Expendables.
    It deals with god the way 13 year olds did in the old chat rooms.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalTailor View Post

Star trek is for thinking people is about 60% of the problem ( The rest is producers being hoped up cociane) . what it boils down to it is a tv show and it can sends out a message but not get preachy and entertian the Audiance.

And that where a lot of the old "new" trek fail at. From Gene mandaite that humans are now pure and no inertal conflic with the main cast to Archer and Flaux justifing Genocide to the making Janeway a Mary Sue ( Ironic if you know how the trem came to be)

Then there's the Prime Directive.

I'll pass this off to a man more skilled and funny then I
    http://blip.tv/sf-debris-opinionated...alysis-5638650
    Cyclops ad portas

Quote Originally Posted by jesse_custer View Post
    "Into Darkness"

How mature.
    From the title I'm convinced they're doing some take on Apocalypse Now/Heart of Darkness.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    It deals with god the way 13 year olds did in the old chat rooms.
    It dealt with God with a photon torpedo and Klingon disrupter fire. I'm ok with that.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Quote Originally Posted by Simbob4000 View Post
    From the title I'm convinced they're doing some take on Apocalypse Now/Heart of Darkness.
    Kirk finds a fat ass on a jungle planet?

Quote Originally Posted by Melanieshaman View Post
    doesn't look familiar at all
    Do you need a stronger prescription for your glasses, or did you not click the link to the comparison?

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro Man View Post
    (it's actually pretty easy to NOT think the world is getting better, I've always felt that humanity was basically treading water in the big scheme of things. some stuff gets better, other things get worse, etc. so the Star Trek message of humanistic optimism was sort of a nice change of pace)
    Standards of living and lifespans have risen over time while child mortality and the percentages of people enslaved lower go down.

Quote Originally Posted by Addams View Post
    Ah well, Americans do love things to be dumbed down after all.
    John Carter, 2012, Dredd and Tron Legacy made more money overseas than in America, IIRC.
    Last edited by Jared; 12-04-2012 at 08:43 PM.
    "Family Guy jumped the shark when i stopped getting high every time i watched it. " - Alex

Braking Dawn prt 2, Vimpires suck and Armageddon has made over seas then in the us.

Your argument is invalid, Addams.

You guys are as dumb as we are.

The diffeance is we admit it.
    Cyclops ad portas

We don't admit it, we have a larger population so we have more people who act superior to others based on what films they watch though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    John Carter, 2012, Dredd and Tron Legacy made more money overseas than in America, IIRC.
    There's a lot of more people "overseas".