Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jpbl1976 View Post
    It's worth pointing out that Rich was editorializing a bit there: Gaiman, Ellis and Ennis hadn't done work for Vertigo for a while before that change came about.
    That change was at the beginning of the twentieth century... around about 2002. That seems to fit. It wasn't about work for hire, it was about Vertigo's creator owned contracts. Ennis' war books now come out from Dynamite, The Boys originally came out from DC/Wildstorm and City Lights is no longe happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Oh definitely, that's why I didn't quote that bit that was basically implying that Gaiman and Ellis, etc. would have done more work if it weren't for the new contract. And I don't think Levitz was fired.
    I believe they would have. And. basically, his position was made untenable.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RichJohnston View Post
    That change was at the beginning of the twentieth century... around about 2002. That seems to fit. It wasn't about work for hire, it was about Vertigo's creator owned contracts. Ennis' war books now come out from Dynamite, The Boys originally came out from DC/Wildstorm and City Lights is no longe happening.
    I thought the Boys moved because of Levitz's uneasiness with the content of that book. Similar to how he and Millar didn't quite get along during the Authority era.

Quote Originally Posted by RichJohnston View Post
    Rich, c'mon, you reported a lot of the Boys habberdashery, you know that had nothing to do with contracts but content.

That Ennis was even able to take that book away from DC says something about contract flexibility.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Kent View Post
    What is awesome about it? It might turn out to be good, but nothing in Star Wars being owned by Disney screams awesome.
    Star Wars no longer being controlled by Greorge Lucas screams awesome.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

I've never heard of Karen until the news.
    I don't read any DC main titles but I read most of Vertigo.

Quote Originally Posted by svp View Post
    I've never heard of Karen until the news.
    I don't read any DC main titles but I read most of Vertigo.
    You read most of Vertigo but haven't heard of Karen? Well that's something.
    BB

I've sent the application in and I am waiting for the response. I guess I need to pay my dues first..?

Quote Originally Posted by ebullientsoul View Post
    Karen Berger deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Archie Goodwin and Julie Schawrtz. She's a person you can build a company around and, well, that's what DC did.
    Completely so. She built upon the work she, Alan Moore, Steve Bissette, Rick Vietch, and many others did to show there was a market for a smart mainstream company which published actual adult comics while juggling how to run a business with being genuinely creative. I don't see anyone else at DC or Vertigo who can do that, assuming the'll be allowed to do that.

Read the thread and I'm shocked no one mentioned... How awesome would it be to have Karen Berger at Image?

BANNED

I could see her starting a studio at Image, but Image itself was never a specific movement like Vertigo. They basically just let artists/writers do whatever the hell they want.

Some more reactions from comics creators:
    http://www.newsarama.com/comics/comi...departure.html

BANNED

They're really going to do Before Sandman without her? I hope Gaiman can convince her otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by NCatron View Post
    Read the thread and I'm shocked no one mentioned... How awesome would it be to have Karen Berger at Image?

if she went to another company, i'd like to see her at darkhorse and start an imprint there. it would be cool if she was able to start her own company and bring a few vertigo editors along.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    They're really going to do Before Sandman without her? I hope Gaiman can convince her otherwise.

i think that might be the last book she works on for vertigo.