Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

It's not a huge surprise. Vertigo hasn't really developed any characters or series that have been big cross-media hits. Even on the comics front, I can't think of too many series in recent years that were must-reading. It makes sense for creators with original ideas to publish their stuff elsewhere and sell the media rights to all-comers rather than be stuck with Time Warner as their only choice.
    The two most powerful warriors are patience and time - Leo Tolstoy

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Well the ship has officially sunk.

The end of an era indeed. It’s hard to think of a greater or more important editor in modern American comics than Karen Burger and without her at the helm I can’t see Vertigo lasting much longer. Considering the tremendous impact of Vertigo Comics under her helm, it’s sad to see it go down like this, but I really do hope that she gets a chance to set up her own comics company/ imprint that will once again allow her to do her stuff, free from the shackles of a big company like Time Warner.
    Check out my latest movie review: Captain America: The Winter Soldier

This statement of Karen's reminds me a lot of the one Paul Levitz released when he was demoted from DC publisher back to freelance writer. This smacks of a media release a company issues when they fire one of their top people. Where they keep them on for another couple of months as a token gesture, a "transition period", in an attempt to keep outsiders from thinking there is anything internally wrong with the company. So, I guess that's it. DC has quietly killed Vertigo. And any Vertigo title published after Hellblazer #300 hits the stands will be a VINO. Damn.

san francisco - the free range twink farm

Quote Originally Posted by jesse_custer View Post
    She was a truly great editor, but I'm looking forward to what happens with Vertigo now.
    The writing's on the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by the Dagman View Post
    This statement of Karen's reminds me a lot of the one Paul Levitz released when he was demoted from DC publisher back to freelance writer. This smacks of a media release a company issues when they fire one of their top people. Where they keep them on for another couple of months as a token gesture, a "transition period", in an attempt to keep outsiders from thinking there is anything internally wrong with the company. So, I guess that's it. DC has quietly killed Vertigo. And any Vertigo title published after Hellblazer #300 hits the stands will be a VINO. Damn.
    When Paul Levitz stepped away from DC, it sounded like it was voluntary. He wanted to get back to writing and teaching. Also, Paul has been writing for DC since he left his position at DC. I don't think he has written for any other company. It appears he has a good relationship with DC.

As far as Karen Berger, her stepping down also appears to be voluntary from the press release. She will stay through the end of March to ensure a smooth transition. It sounds like she wants pursue some new interests and challenges after being at Vertigo for such a long time. Best of luck to her, and looking forward to her new stuff.

Like Levitz, she will have been made aware her superiors want to take the company in a direction that doesn't require her to be around. Like Levitz, she will have a lot of supporters in the company who know how hard she's worked for the company over the decades and don't want the separation to be on bad terms. So she'll be given a good retirement\redundancy package and the opportunity to do consulting work if she wants to
    The two most powerful warriors are patience and time - Leo Tolstoy

Quote Originally Posted by El Sombrero View Post
    It seems like for the rest of its life, Vertigo will be DC's answer to Marvel's Icon: an avenue for creator-owned properties by the company's exclusive writers. I'm sure American Vampire is fine.
    This seems correct to me. I imagine Vertigo will stick around as an imprint for DC exclusive talent who want to stretch their wings a little bit and do some creator owned work.

This is stunning and disheartening news, and a major loss for DC. Karen was to Vertigo what Archie Goodwin was to Epic-- I suspect the line will not last three years with her gone. The one possible scenario I could see working is Shelly Bond (who I think at this point is DC's second most senior editor after Mike Carlin) being promoted, and Shelly doing her damnedest to keep Will Dennis around.

I wouldn't be surprised if Karen ends up working with Bob Schreck at Legendary. He's been recruiting Vertigo talent over the past year, including Grant Morrison.

It depends on who the new editor will be and what direction they want to take Vertigo. I'm hoping its mythic fantasy/horror
    "Calm down, call Batman." - Greg Capullo

I can't say whether she wanted to move on to other challenges because Vertigo was no longer a place she wanted to be at or whether she was just looking for new horizons and challenges, but either way, it is a loss for DC.

So, I greet this news with sadness and hope that with this door closing for her, many new ones will open. Thank you Karen Berger for all the wonder you have helped usher into my life and best of luck on any and all future endeavors.

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

JH Williams III pretty much said everything I wanted to say about Karen Berger and Vertigo http://jhwilliams3.com/
    The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame

It's def not a surprise if you look at how DC/WB has been treating Vertigo lately.

Karen will probably move away from comics and go into novels that's where the money and action is right now anyways.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    This is stunning and disheartening news, and a major loss for DC. Karen was to Vertigo what Archie Goodwin was to Epic-- I suspect the line will not last three years with her gone. The one possible scenario I could see working is Shelly Bond (who I think at this point is DC's second most senior editor after Mike Carlin) being promoted, and Shelly doing her damnedest to keep Will Dennis around.

I wouldn't be surprised if Karen ends up working with Bob Schreck at Legendary. He's been recruiting Vertigo talent over the past year, including Grant Morrison.
    Yeah I think at this point I need to just let go of DC and look for the more upcoming, innovative publishers. I've made a lot of effort in the past year to pick up more Image and Dark Horse, but hopefully I'll find even more.

This really is sad for me.

Looking back on it, Karen Berger played a huge roll in getting me into comics. I picked up the odd book of X-crap here and there as a kid, but it was really Vertigo that pulled me whole-hog into comic fandom. Truly the end of an era.

RIP Vertigo.

At this point, I'd rather DC just pull the plug on the imprint rather than have it limp along with three books a month or whatever. Even if The Wake and Trillium are my two most anticipated books of 2013.

That said, I hope Berger stays on at DC in some editorial capacity. I think, given all the behind the scenes drama, that it's pretty clear that high-quality editors are in short supply over there and Berger truly is the best of the best. Take Dial H, for example: regardless of whether you like the book or not, you can't deny that it is remarkably unique, wild stuff and given how drab and uninspired so much of DC's output currently is, we could use more of that.
    For the best in comic reviews visit:

WEEKLY COMIC BOOK REVIEW