Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default "2000 AD's" Matt Smith Thrill Teases "Dredd: Year One," "Brass Sun" & More

"2000 AD" EiC Matt Smith answers reader questions, reveals when to expect more "Brass Sun," talks about writing "Judge Dredd: Year One," shares exclusive art from "2000 AD" Prog 2013 and more!

Full article here.

Great interview. Sounds like 2013 is going to be as epic as 2012 was.

Going to be an interesting year for me as I go full digital on the Prog.

Hell yeah, 2000AD rocks.
    DROKK IT!!

Ill be going fully digital too.
    2013 sounds great. Cant wait for more Aquila, Zombo, Savage, Sinister Dexter et al!

On the digital front, I really like the sound of more 2000 AD material getting the digital treatment. The Meg and various Collections in digital format will be a dream.

I still hold out hope for a Digital exclusive publication coming out of the 2000 AD braintrust someday in the future.

Always great to hear from Matt Smith and his oh so short and to the point answers (fitting for the punch that is 2000ad really!). When you look at the list of thrills he has coming up from the 2013 Prog and beyond it just reminds you how exciting and frankly brilliant 2000ad is these days. Its easy to get lost in nostalgia and many do, often ex-creators but when you look at what's in there these days its as good and frankly almost certainly better, than its every been.

Truly any fan of comics really should be reading the Prog its the best comic out there at the moment and with the teases about exciting returns and new thrills it looks like its only going to get better...

... oh and John Burns joining Dan Abnett on Sinister Dexter - colour me excited! Brilliant news.

Very happy 2000 AD is working on this. I've always wanted a Dredd Year One!

Good interview.

2000ad is the best comic on the market, and I think 'things will only get better!' (Apologies for quoting a D-ream song, and thanks for choosing my question to feature in the interview).

Cheers

A Perp In Open Water riot_shark's Avatar

Kinda curious how Dredd: Year One is going to turn out. Hopefully it'll go further back than the warped continuity of the DC run

I've said for years that Sinister Dexter could vanish forever and I'd lose no sleep. And yet... man alive, John Burns is an inspired choice for that series' artist. I'm genuinely curious to see what he'll do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by HipsterDad View Post
    I've said for years that Sinister Dexter could vanish forever and I'd lose no sleep. And yet... man alive, John Burns is an inspired choice for that series' artist. I'm genuinely curious to see what he'll do with it.
    You see Grant, you see, you're going to love it and then you'll see that Sinister Dexter is still a vital force for 2000ad... well you might!

Sinister Dexter is my second fav meg series after Dredd, I love it, hope it continues to rock us forever. (Slaine and ABC also contendin', etc)
    DROKK IT!!

Sin-Dex is an enjoyable strip to me. Personally I'm not super excited about hearing John Burns name attached. Nothing against him, but I've loved Anthony Williams as series regular these last few years. The stability he as brought to the series art chores has been rather glorious. Basically if Simon Davis isn't drawing Sin-Dex I want Anthony Williams.
    Last edited by The Adventurer; 12-05-2012 at 12:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    Sin-Dex is an enjoyable strip to me. Personally I'm not super excited about hearing John Burns name attached. Nothing against him, but I've loved Anthony Williams as series regular these last few years. The stability he as brought to the series art chores has been rather glorious. Basically if Simon Davis isn't drawing Sin-Dex I want Anthony Williams.
    I can defo see your point and have commented elsewhere in the pas that I'm really pleased that Anthony Williams has become a regular artist on the series. One of the strengths that S&D (to its friends) has is its ability to support different stories and in doing so being supported by different artists drawing it. So while the much maligned (wrongly of course) War of the Moses story was running having a single artist was a real boon. Assuming (and I may be wrong here of course) we're returning to different story strands with S&D different artists can become a strength again. Though I'd love to see Anthony Williams remain as the lynch-pin artist I'm happy to see others draw stuff that suits them and the specific story.

Mind anything to have more John Burns art in the Prog now Dante is done is a boon really!

I was flipping through one of Titan's collections of Modesty Blaise - Yellowstone Booty - with some great late '70s John Burns art, and the more I think about it, the more I like this idea. Burns could be the perfect fit for Sin Dex. This has got me more interested in anything that's happened with the characters in *years.* I might like it, or it might be as wheel-spinning as Sin Dex has been since "...and death shall have no dumb minions," but quaequam blag, do I ever want to see it.

Tharg!! Don't give us some darn fillers - uh, I mean, 3rillers - in prog 1824!! Move the John Burns Sin Dex forward!!