Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Well Comic vine gave it a 4 out of five just go to show you have to read it for yourself.
    Animals sense weakness, sharks smell blood in water
    Ishmael, Moses and Job, knew the divine order.

As someone who has been really hopeful for a great book in this, but expecting much less due to the writer... this means nothing to me. Of all the Newsarama reviews i've read, which isn't that many but still, i've rarely if ever agreed with them. And i can remember a number of instances in which their reviews were just ignorant and stupid. Not because i disagreed with them, but because they literally ignored continuity and made silly leaps of logic. Still hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    Yeah, I knew this was coming.
    Frankly, your perception of the book is skewed to the point of worthlessness by irrational bias. Any consistency between it and the general reaction is complete happenstance.
    Last edited by The Fist of Goa; 12-03-2012 at 07:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TsaiMeLemoni View Post
    If you've read any of the recent interviews, they've been pretty clear on why Ross forms a team. The issue they face isn't one where they need to band together, they are being brought together to right one of Ross' old wrongs. I think people are expecting a typical team book and the typical dynamics that come with it, and I'm pretty sure this book isn't going to follow that route.

Anyway, I think when issue #2 drops later this month things will make sense and overall be pretty good.
    I suppose that maintains the theme of the Thunderbolts being a team meant for redemption. However, why is everyone else involved? If this is supposed to be about the relationship between Ross and Castle, then couldn't they put this book on hold until Punisher: War Zone was actually over?

Imagination and Bravery Double 0's Avatar

As much as Newsarama's reviews suck, the main problem they had with the issue was pretty much what I expected. Which isn't a good thing at all, but hey, maybe the characterization can carry the book.
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible."

- Stanisław Jerzy Lec

http://naijamanexe.tumblr.com

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Roxas View Post
    I suppose that maintains the theme of the Thunderbolts being a team meant for redemption. However, why is everyone else involved? If this is supposed to be about the relationship between Ross and Castle, then couldn't they put this book on hold until Punisher: War Zone was actually over?
    I seriously doubt this entire book is just supposed to be about Ross and Castle. I would imagine Frank would be the most difficult to recruit, so it makes sense that they'd spend more time on him for the first issue.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Fist of Goa View Post
    Frankly, your perception of the book is skewed to the point of worthlessness by irrational bias. Any consistency between it and the general reaction is complete happenstance.
    Way was the first writer I ever dropped, Dillon's art makes everyone Frank Castle, and the team looks like a lot of shooting and less plotting.

Figured as much. Daniel Way doesnt give me much hope, and Im sorry but Dillon on a title like this kills the book. These are dark characters, and the art should reflect that. Deodato, Guice, etc should have had this title. And for an Elektra fan like myself I was already turned off by Way's interview where he basically spelled out how little he would actually focus on her, Not that anyone has really done her justice since her death.

I seriously doubt this entire book is just supposed to be about Ross and Castle. I would imagine Frank would be the most difficult to recruit, so it makes sense that they'd spend more time on him for the first issue.
    First issue will focus on a dialogue between the two it sounds like with the others being recruited. Basically the whole issue is a gathering and we have already seen the final page of the team heading on thier unknown mission. A first issue should set up the direction of a series not just introduce the characters.

Just a couple of more days and we can see how bad/good it really is...

Quote Originally Posted by drakeon View Post
    First issue will focus on a dialogue between the two it sounds like with the others being recruited. Basically the whole issue is a gathering and we have already seen the final page of the team heading on thier unknown mission. A first issue should set up the direction of a series not just introduce the characters.

Yeah....I know. Though Jordan White did show up in a Thunderbolt thread and said those preview pages that say 'to be continued' aren't actually the last pages. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Either way I'm only picking this up for Elektra. So I really hope she gets better screen time then in Heroes For Hire.

I never listen to reviews. It's already on my pull list. I'll read it through the first story arc just cuz I like the team make up. I'm optimistic about it. I'm not a big Way or Dillon fan, but since it supposed to be like UXF I'm routing for it. Especially since I'm not a fan of the new cast of UXF. It's double shipping so I won't cry if I have to drop it. Hopefully Barnes and Nobles carries it so I can just go there and read it for free. I'll see if I like Cable & X-Force and probably decide which one to keep up with and which to go trade on.
    Last edited by Dudepool; 12-04-2012 at 12:54 AM.

I will be getting at least the first issues of Thunderbolts for sure.
    That review by Newsrama did not change that.
    It is Thunderbolts in a back to the basics way in terms of stories,which is interesting because the brand have been a bit dilluted in the last stories.
    And it have illustrations by Dillon,which did a amazing work with Punisher in the past and is illustrating that character again.
    Plus Electra,Venom,Deadpool and Red Hulk are all gritty characters so it will be interesting to see what this new roster will bring to this series.
    Last edited by whiteshark; 12-04-2012 at 05:20 AM.
    Pull List:New Avengers,Thor,Superior Spider-Man,Mighty Avengers,Swamp Thing,Daredevil,Uncanny Avengers,Superior Foes of Spider-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by drakeon View Post
    Either way I'm only picking this up for Elektra. So I really hope she gets better screen time then in Heroes For Hire.
    Me too, I was so disappointed with that title. I think she will though, since she is actually a core member of the team. I am fine with having little to no POV from her character so long as she actually has a presence and contributes to the team.

THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar

The Newsarama reviewer criticized the book because it basically featured and focused heavily on team building.

That won't be a problem a for me considering its a first issue.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

Me too, I was so disappointed with that title. I think she will though, since she is actually a core member of the team. I am fine with having little to no POV from her character so long as she actually has a presence and contributes to the team.
    Yeah. I wonder if she will just go around slashing people with her sais all the time or will someone finally use her martial arts skills and partial psychic hand skills? Do modern writers even knowwhat Elektra is capable of? To my knoledge only Miller and Chichester have explored her "ninja magic"