Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Morning Glories, #23

The Ceremony begins in "Morning Glories" #23 by Nick Spencer and Joe Eisma, but the events that surround it are more than main attraction. Irina leads The Truants to a point of no return, and a sacrifice comes from an unexpected source.

Full article here.

I have been faithful to this book and have read all the issues. At this point after nearly 25 issues I have no idea what is going on in this book. Not once clue as to what is going on. I often get the characters confused and as I mentioned have no idea what is going on. With that said I love this book, I have no idea what it is. The art is great, I like Spencer's writing, but again...no idea what is happening with this book. Maybe it will read better as a trade or when read all in one sitting but who knows?

Am I the only one who has no real clue as to what is happening in this series? I surely hope not because then I will feel stupid.

Thank you

You are not the only one - I've started going back through the Multiversity commentaries and podcasts, but Spencer keeps adding new elements at such a pace that the story is increasingly hard to follow, especially if you are reading it monthly. I have faith that the end result will be worth it, but I do hope they start wrapping up some threads as we get to the end of Season One, which I believe is issue #24 or #25. Spencer said on a recent podcast that they are looking for ways to get readers interested in the monthly issues, so I hope we'll start getting some sort of "previously on Morning Glories" summary at the beginning of the issue, or maybe a letter column in the back, that would add value to the periodicals and provide a forum for questions to get asked and answered.

BANNED

I have been following ok so far, but this issue was a MESS. It was just too chaotic to follow.

This will probably be my last issue... I might give it another chance in the future.

For a casual reader (I've read every issue, but don't listen to the podcasts or anything), this comic has become a wreck. Too many characters, and after two years, nothing's been resolved. I know we need to keep some mystery, but shifting the focus from the core group of characters, to a completely new group who all have their own mysteries (while not resolving a single arc any of the other characters were involved in) is just too complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Twelvecarpileup View Post
    (while not resolving a single arc any of the other characters were involved in)
    I think Zoe's arc resolved didn't it? :)

My advice to anyone who is confused is to reread the issues. I read them on a monthly basis and after 6 or 7 I also felt like I was a little lost....then again I read 100 titles a month so I always want to make sure it's not my fault for being confused. So I reread them and got a very good grasp on the characters and was fine for the next 10 issues or so. The last few issues I'm just like before, not really sure on these new kids and a little forgetful about what happened with the other ones, so I'll reread the issues again after #25 and I'm sure it will all be clear again.

If you don't feel you're enjoying it enough to reread then maybe just buy the trades to get big chunks at once.

I feel it's been a mess since they started this outdoor team activity.
    Reading: All New X-men, Batman, Cable+X-force, Harley Quinn, Morning Glories, Sex, Sexy Criminals, Uncanny X-men, Walking Dead, X-men
    Like gum? yumyumgum.com

Hey all-

Took a second to comment on some of this stuff over in the MGs thread: http://forums.comicbookresources.com...mp-Joe)/page30

Quote Originally Posted by kakitamike View Post
    I feel it's been a mess since they started this outdoor team activity.
    Pretty much... separating all the characters, introducing new ones and a whole new plot...

I love complex stories, but it's gotten waaaayyyy too fragmented for my taste.