Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    The problem with that is that it would require the other heroes having arch-enemies already. I'm pretty sure DC has said they want to have Justice League as a standalone film from their others. And even if they don't, audiences would just be confused as to why a guy with an ice gun is fighting the Flash.
    I totally disagree with that. It's a perfect way to establish both characters(hero and villain, unknown or not, goodguy vs badguy is established) in a short amount of time and then move on to expand on their personalities when it goes into the team dynamic part of the movie. Because they are really going to have to cram a ton of origins/character development into a short amount of time.

Best make it exciting fights with their arch enemies...confusing? I think that if done right, that can help establish both characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Deep_Sleeper View Post
    Can't be afraid of competition, man. Gotta try out something or you'll be perceived as a coward. As much as a movie studio can be perceived that way.

Darkseid is still rumored at this point, right? It's not confirmed.
    Exactly. If they aren't going all out because they are afraid Marvel will out do them, they might as well not make the movie. Either bring the A material or don't. And don't use the "it's only the first movie excuse" you never know if your getting another shot, make it as good as possible.

I thought the reboot Justice League showed everyone the error of fighting Darkseid directly in your first story. I really hope this rumor is baseless. But I have too little confidence in Warner for that to be the case.
    "Family Guy jumped the shark when i stopped getting high every time i watched it. " - Alex

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    I thought the reboot Justice League showed everyone the error of fighting Darkseid directly in your first story.
    No the problem with that arc is that it was just written terribly. The whole arc is just the seven of them hitting at a big monster. Had they given Darkseid a personality and proper methods and motivation, then we could see if there was a problem as to how early he was.

You could easily have Darkseid's first appearance as just him testing the waters or just one step of a much bigger plan he has.
    Last edited by Mr. Holmes; 12-04-2012 at 12:50 AM.

if they use the Darkseid concept from Final Crisis it would differentiate the two characters. show Darkseid as a true entity of evil. instead of Parademons have humans possessed by the Anti-Life Equation doing Darkseid's bidding.

Yes , and then have superman vanquish all that evil with a song.

I was kind of hoping that they would fight an actual Justice League villian in their movie. You know, Despero, Starro, Dr. Destiny, The Key or someone like that. Oh, well.
    Story By Story- Story Circle of the Capital Region.

My own Youtube account, stories and public library use tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Ares could definitely be a universal threat, and it would tie Wonder Woman into the film since there's no effing way she's getting her own film before this. With Darkseid, you have to do his origin and the New Gods, while also having time to establish Wonder Woman and Flash (and likely Green Lantern since nobody saw that shat).
    Ares is powerful, but he's very very far from a universal threat(or even a threat to an entire galaxy). Even people like Zeus from DC aren't anywhere near universal threats. Heck even cosmic beings such as Galactus aren't actually universal threats(unless you count the UN).

They also wouldn't really have to do a big origin story for Darkseid. Evil alien with nigh-god like powers who wants to bend the entire universe to his will. His reasons for going after Earth could be he views the metahumans emerging on the planet as a threat..or he wants to control said metahumans..or he thinks he can find the anti-life equation on Earth..or just because he's evil and it's what he does.

With all that said if it were up to me I would have Darkseid not really appear until the 2nd/3rd film in the series(if it gets that many). The big bads of the previous films could of been set up by him. First he recruits Brainiac to try to destroy the JLA. This fails, so the next movie he sends the Crime Syndicate to destroy the peoples faith in their heroes. That fails and the third movie you have Darkseid himself(and his army) showing up.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Plus it would be different from the Avengers as it would be a mythological threat. Having a villain like Aries that would be tied to one of the heroes would be more organic also.
    But the main threat from the first movie was Loki and his army. How is that not mythological? It's just Norse mythology instead of Greek. Granted he also had a bunch of aliens working for him, but he's still fits the "mythological threat" thing.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamYJ View Post
    I was kind of hoping that they would fight an actual Justice League villian in their movie. You know, Despero, Starro, Dr. Destiny, The Key or someone like that. Oh, well.
    But Darkseid has been a JLA villain before. That's not the only type of villain he has been, but still.
    Last edited by Surtur; 12-04-2012 at 08:11 AM.
    A woman can move a lot faster with her skirt up than a man can with his pants down.

Quote Originally Posted by Surtur View Post
    But Darkseid has been a JLA villain before. That's not the only type of villain he has been, but still.
    I guess. It's just that the villians that were created for the pages of Justice League of America never really get any respect. They're up there with Superman villians and Wonder Woman villians in that way. The only ones that seem to get consistent props from the fans let alone the public are the ones created by Grant Morrison like the White Martians or Prometheus. Sometimes I swear people think the Justice League didn't exist before 1997. The way I see it is that the movie is the one shot to show how awesome and badass a traditional Justice League villian like Amazo or Despero really can be. It's the same reason why I'm always disappointed to see Luthor or Zod treated as the only options for a Superman movie.

Also, I don't know why, but I've never been a big Darkseid fan. Maybe it's my natural inclination to seek out the obscure over the well known or maybe I just need to read more Kirby. Who knows.
    Story By Story- Story Circle of the Capital Region.

My own Youtube account, stories and public library use tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Surtur View Post
    But the main threat from the first movie was Loki and his army. How is that not mythological? It's just Norse mythology instead of Greek. Granted he also had a bunch of aliens working for him, but he's still fits the "mythological threat" thing.
    At least they could tap into mythological themes with Ares. Maybe have mythic beasts appear and stuff like this other than a sci-fi threat.
    Legato - Frank, Calm Down Your Nerd Rage!

Quote Originally Posted by Deep_Sleeper View Post
    Can't be afraid of competition, man. Gotta try out something or you'll be perceived as a coward. As much as a movie studio can be perceived that way.

Darkseid is still rumored at this point, right? It's not confirmed.
    Not that they can't take the heat but what about using a different type of character as Marvel. Them using Darkseid won't be seen as this cool creative decision but as them going for Marvel. Plus as a fan I don't want to see the same type of villain in two movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    Or go with Lex leading the Legion of Doom against the Justice League. At least you wont be dealing with another possible alien invasion scenario
    Sure. I almost wished they would start with something more low brow. Maybe a mix of Vandal Savage and Ares(wich would still be a formidable threat). Then next movie, have Lex come up with an Injustice Gang. Third movie, Legion of Doom. Fourth, Darseid and the New Gods.

As a basically non DC fan, I would say Darkseid is the best choice. Besides Lex Luthor and Joker, most of the general movie public doesn't know any DC villains besides Darkseid and now Bane. I actually got most of my DC education from animated series and movies. The only real threat I can think of (again not a huge DC fan) that would require a JLA teamup would be Darkseid. The JLA aren't going to get together and beat the living shit out of the Joker, right? I have read a lot of the new 52. I actually am really digging the Wonder Woman series. Most people don't know her history or origin. Same with Flash, Cyborg, Aquaman (I still think Garth is the silliest name of any comic character.). I'm much more worried about how they are going to make the general public care about the League that haven't had their own movies than I am about the threat they'll have to face.
    "Cyclops is gonna fry for what he did. Can't wait!" - Cancerous

The general public already knows Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman more than virtually any other superhero. Flash and Aquaman aren't too far behind, and they just got a Green Lantern film not to long ago. It's not like Avengers where people only new Hulk and then Captain America to a slightly lesser extent.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancerman View Post
    The general public already knows Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman more than virtually any other superhero. Flash and Aquaman aren't too far behind, and they just got a Green Lantern film not to long ago. It's not like Avengers where people only new Hulk and then Captain America to a slightly lesser extent.
    Backstory's and Origins? Superman , Batman yes. I wouldn't say Wonder Woman, Flash or Aquaman. Most of my non-comic friends have no idea how they got their powers. With Avengers, Cap, Thor, Iron-Man and Hulk all had movies to flesh them out.
    "Cyclops is gonna fry for what he did. Can't wait!" - Cancerous