Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Layman's "Detective Comics" Shows Off Joker's Gotham

For his part in the "Death of the Family" event story, newly minted "Detective Comics" writer John Layman shows off what happens to Gotham when Joker hits town as his longterm plans for Batman take shape with issue #15.

Full article here.

Uh...

Is it me or is Batman wearing his trunks in this shot?

It's shadow.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    Uh...

Is it me or is Batman wearing his trunks in this shot?

have you wore heavy pants before? If they are tight they are going to bunch up when you move.

Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar

The thing is, they're basically just drawn with trunks colored the same as he pants, anyway.

I think this is the issue where the story will come into focus and people will see what I'm doing. Three issues in, the format I'm taking will start making sense," Layman explained. "I've also got my sea legs now. I was terrified at first. It was very daunting to be working on something so big and historic and with so many eyes on it. By the third issue, I really started to find my groove, and I think it's the best one we've done. That was really gratifying. I don't want to say I didn't like #13, but there was a lot of second-guessing going on there. It moved a little slow and I thought, 'Shoot...if people liked #13, they're going to go crazy in a few issues.
    I like how everyone has been losing patience and saying Layman has nothing new to offer after those two issues.

I hope this issue will be less by the numbers than the last two were now that he's found his groove. I liked the last two issues well enough but they didn't blow me away like I expected them to given all the fan hype.
    Characters come and go, revamped and revisited. But as long as you enjoyed them, remember them and continue to appreciate them, then that character, your hero or heroine, will always exist.

Well the first issue was very wordy and didn't really do much but it was good. Next issue was kinda bad for Batman with the flip flopping personality
    So its not hard to see why people would think he'd have nothing to offer on Detective. I mean we already hit so many aspects of Gotham with most of the Batman titles. Its already hard for this book not to seem redundant.
    Currrently Reading- Suicide Squad,Justice League,Batwoman,Batman,Batman and Robin,Detective Comics, Wonder Woman,Batman Eternal,Mighty Avengers,All new X-factor,Justice League 3000 and Harley Quinn

Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar

I didn't notice any real inconsistencies in the characterization. But what I'm saying is that you have to let him settle in. I doubt many people liked Batman #655, when it came out, as much as they like it now or last week's Inc #5. Ignore it for the time being, but don't write it off.

I'm not going to "write it off" and I'm certainly willing to let Layman "settle in". The only problem I'm having with 'Tec at the moment is the fact that several fans of Layman hyped up my expectations of his 'Tec run and, thus far, it hasn't really lived up to that hype IMHO. It's just been a by the numbers kind of book. A decent read but nothing mind blowing or even interesting. I'm willing to stick around though and see if it will but as of now it's been a bit disappointing to me. I hoping that will change as he settles in.
    Characters come and go, revamped and revisited. But as long as you enjoyed them, remember them and continue to appreciate them, then that character, your hero or heroine, will always exist.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    I'm not going to "write it off" and I'm certainly willing to let Layman "settle in". The only problem I'm having with 'Tec at the moment is the fact that several fans of Layman hyped up my expectations of his 'Tec run and, thus far, it hasn't really lived up to that hype IMHO. It's just been a by the numbers kind of book. A decent read but nothing mind blowing or even interesting. I'm willing to stick around though and see if it will but as of now it's been a bit disappointing to me. I hoping that will change as he settles in.
    That is understandable. I'm a huge Layman fan, but he seems to be establishing his own "layer" before he gets in any deeper. His writing normally starts off leveled, but when the pieces come together, everything clicks and he dives down under head-first.
    There needs to be a big turning point that will spark the story. That is what Detective is missing right now. I think he is still creating that big turning point though.

I'm really digging this story arc. Plus...we get a new Batman costume deserving an action figure!
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

The first issue was okay but a little underwhelming, and the second issue just started to really scream "average, been here before" to me. This preview doesn't change that. Nothing bad about it, but nothing exciting or interesting about it either.
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sombrero View Post
    The first issue was okay but a little underwhelming, and the second issue just started to really scream "average, been here before" to me. This preview doesn't change that. Nothing bad about it, but nothing exciting or interesting about it either.
    Exactly my thoughts. I give it until #16 to impress me, since it ties with The Death of the Family. I already get Batman and Inc, so a third Batman book has to be really good.

The Avatar of Vengeance melkorjunior's Avatar

So far I'm very happy with Layman on Detective. What we've gotten is solid stories focusing on Batman's rogues, and giving us an interesting spin on them. Why does every single Batman story have to be some kind of earth-shattering event? What's wrong with a good story, well-told, with nice art? I liked the Penguin's new look and his plan to restore the Cobblepot name, while getting in over his head with the assassins. I liked Ivy's twisted idea of "marrying" Clayface because he's easily mainpulated and she could use the muscle. I liked the short story about Penguin's top lieutenant. We need more of this kind of stuff in my opinion, and less "events".

I've enjoyed the first two issues quite a bit but outside of a few points, I admit there wasn't anything particularly breaking new ground. However, if he says this is where things really take off, then Layman has my full attention.