Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Anyone else annoyed about ASM#700 coming out on boxing day?

It screws up my holiday.

Christmas day my family and I are driving to my cousins house for dinner and to stay the night.
    It being Christmas day I'm going to be on the sauce and probably not feel my best when catching the only train leaving Southport the next day at 6:45am so I can get back to Manchester and the comic shop when they open, instead of having a relaxing morning at my cousins.

For months I had been hoping- 'please don't be boxing day, please don't be boxing day', and then- boom, tough titty Mr Nick. Urgh. Damn you Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous View Post
    It screws up my holiday.

Christmas day my family and I are driving to my cousins house for dinner and to stay the night.
    It being Christmas day I'm going to be on the sauce and probably not feel my best when catching the only train leaving Southport the next day at 6:45am so I can get back to Manchester and the comic shop when they open, instead of having a relaxing morning at my cousins.

For months I had been hoping- 'please don't be boxing day, please don't be boxing day', and then- boom, tough titty Mr Nick. Urgh. Damn you Marvel.
    Do you have the ability to purchase a digital copy? If so, that might be the best bet to get the story that day and you can always purchase a physical copy, if you choose, later.
    "What oldschool said"
    The Shadow, 2008

Brian is ainm dom. :) Nova2814.1's Avatar

Can you ask your shop to hold a copy for you and pick it up the following day? Will the shop even be open on the 26th? It's Christmas, spend it with your family and enjoy the downtime.
    My comic collection. Go on, have a look. You know you want to .

I agree that it's not a smart decision for Marvel to release it on Boxing Day. Every comic shop I know of doesn't even open on that day. Maybe in America they do, but in London they sure don't. And I'm not going out just to get one comic during the holidays whether it's Amazing Spider-Man #700 or not. It can wait a few days while I enjoy the festive season with my girlfriend and family.
    From now on we're poison to you Spider-Man. That's why we call ourselves... VENOM!!!

It's not the best week for it to come out that's for sure. It'll be ok for me though as my shop is only 30 minutes away from where I live (plus I'm tee total).

Four degrees higher Cheesedique's Avatar

I'll be travelling home for XMAS, and will be 3000 miles away from my comic shop when this issue comes out. I won't be able to even go pick it up until after I get back on the 1st.

I wonder if shops will even be able to receive the order...being that it is released on Boxing Day, I am not sure if my shop will be open and around to even get it. hmmm, while it is a great way to end the year with a bang, Marvel may have screwed themselves on this one.

Splendiferous Spider Hero ImmortalIronFist's Avatar

Their primary market is America, where Boxing Day isn't a thing...they might not have thought about it.
    Hey, that tiger is flying a spaceship.

I'm buying digital, so the date is not a concern for me. I'm happy it's after christmas and that my salary has come. I'm more worried about the price and what might happen in that issue. Still, if not too much else comes out that week (I follow some other Marvel and DC titles after all), then I'll buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalIronFist View Post
    Their primary market is America, where Boxing Day isn't a thing...they might not have thought about it.
    I was actually gonna ask wth Boxing Day was

Quote Originally Posted by Phelpzy View Post
    I was actually gonna ask wth Boxing Day was
    Basically it's the day after Christmas Day lol.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    Basically it's the day after Christmas Day lol.
    What's the big deal then? This is sorta like a extra Christmas present to me

Quote Originally Posted by Phelpzy View Post
    What's the big deal then? This is sorta like a extra Christmas present to me
    Because while many of the bigger stores in Canada are open, there are a lot of smaller specialty stores (such as comic shops) that will probably remain closed. It is a considered by some an unwritten holiday.

It's also the Canadian equivalent of Black Friday.....everything goes on sale on Boxing Day and tons of people lineup for cheap door crasher prices.

It's a little annoying because I'll be travelling for the holidays and such. Not sure if my shop will be open or not, being the day after Christmas. I don't want to wait any longer than I have to for the comic!
    Spider-Man from the beginning! Last ish: ASM #15 - Chameleon hires Kraven (first appearance!) to kill Spidey.

In the U.S., Boxing Day is a huge day for retail--both sales and returns. Most American comic book shops will be open, especially if they are located in shopping malls or areas will lots of traffic.