Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dr. 13 : Architecture and Mortality

Just finished re-reading this, and man it still holds up as one of the smartest and funniest comicbooks I've ever read. I love how Brian Azzarello cleverly (and brutally) mocks all the tropes of superhero comics. Azzarello took all of DC's unwanted characters 5 years ago when the writers of 52 didn't feel these character belonged in the universe, and made them into complex characters who went to DC Comics HQ in New York and confronted the Architects about why they weren't included. Great commentary on the cyclical nature of superhero comics.

The best part of this book is the immensely talented Cliff Chiang. Only he could make me want to read an ongoing about Infectious Lass and the Nazi gorilla.

My favorite character was Traci 13. I love her (and Cliff's!) fashion sense and her delightful sarcasm.

I also love how she pretends to be the damsel-in-distress

but she's secretly the most badass on the team and pretends otherwise because of her skeptic dad. Man I miss Traci 13.

What do you guys think of this comic?
    Jean Grey : What makes you such a bitch, Emma?
    Emma Frost : Breeding, darling. Top class breeding.

Traci 13 being a badass :

Jean Grey : What makes you such a bitch, Emma?
    Emma Frost : Breeding, darling. Top class breeding.

Yeah, that story was pretty wonderful.
    ASM, ELEKTRA, SILVERSURFER, DAREDEVIL, MOONKNIGHT, SHEHULK, FANTASTIC FOUR, MM, INVINCIBLE, INVINCIBLEU, MANHATTAN PR, E OF W, BLACKSCIENCE, BEDLAM, VELVET, TWD, SAGA, Mignolaverse, MASSIVE, MIND MGMT

Still my favorite work out of Azzarello

And I love all his work
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Need to read this...
    BB

Loved Traci 13 in Blue Beetle - so should probably check this out!

BANNED

Fantastic, simply fantastic work.

Although I liked Traci 13 here, my favorite character was Doctor 13 himself. A man who does'nt believe in anything supernatural despite living in a world where those things happen on a daily basis and my favorite line of the book:

Doctor 13 (To Traci): You know what you are?

Traci: Your daugther?

Doctor 13: The only thing I believe on.

Incredibly touching.

It is glorious and wonderful, and smart and a masterpiece.

Azzarello puns make it all better...
    "We are being attacked by living costumes, how do you call that?"
    "A Wardrobe!"

Or when poor Infectious Lass...

I love this book so much.

BANNED

Yeah this book solidified Azz as one of my favorite writers and proved how incredibly versatile he is

Huh, I'd never even heard of this till now. I'll keep an eye out for it, more Azzarello & Chiang can only be good.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    Huh, I'd never even heard of this till now. I'll keep an eye out for it, more Azzarello & Chiang can only be good.
    It originally ran as a backup in the very middling Tales of the Unexpected mini series that featured Spectre, but was so well received it got its own trade treatment, where the main story (IIRC) did not.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    It originally ran as a backup in the very middling Tales of the Unexpected mini series that featured Spectre, but was so well received it got its own trade treatment, where the main story (IIRC) did not.
    The main story got collected too:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100947_20070912204227_large.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	105209
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	115210_20071222123006_large.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	105208
    BB

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    It's in the back of the Tales of the Unexpected limited, main feature is that Crispus/Spectre story that resulted in a rather infamous Bat-kick to the head.

3rd! [censored] :)

Found it in my local library and gave it a read.

Utterly brilliant. I never quite realised just how versatile Azz was, and now I really hope he gets another ongoing after he's done with BW. Lent the library copy to my sister for now, but in the meantime I want to get the tpb for my shelf.

Yeah, I hope Azz starts doing a new ongoing as well.
    New Gods pls.
    BB