Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    BANNED

I'd say being beheaded by X-23 is pretty status quo changing, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonage2ftw View Post
    You know that AvX sold well because people know that this would effect the status quo, and bought so that they'ed know what changed, right?

Unfortunatly, the same will probably happen with this garbage
    This also does not have the benefit of big name heroes or being the BIG SUMMER EVENT. At most, it may break 70K in the first issue (extremely unlikely, but possible. Great, right? That's what Young X-Men did.

And that one was a critical failure and crashed and burned, ending at #12. It consigned an entire generation of mutants to background and supporting role appearances outside of the odd mini since it's end (a sad fate for these kids who survive it).

I have several reasons to doubt that it will succeed. One of the primary ones is that Runaways fans are notoriously sensitive. Any sign of weakness or something they dislike, and they jump ship en-mass. Spoiled by a great writer, they don't accept anything less than greatness anymore.

As well they should.

Runaways was mostly supported in the first run by Trade sales as well. So in both cases, they have a high probability of not buying it. So lets run some hypothetical numbers.

Both did about (averaged between them) 50K at their highest runs (Runaways with Joss Whedon only, they actually debuted at 43K). I honestly don't see the potential audience for this exceeding that by very much (accounting for the bloodthirsty gore-hounds -- The Terror Titans mini didn't exactly sell spectacularly, and that's the best analogue we have to this, only it's likely worse). Academy debut at almost 46K. Really, 50K is a good estimate for a starting point. For the first issue. Variants may push it up to, but after issue 1, the variant want is going to drop something fierce I think, but the potential audience from the Runners and Academy kids could be around 40K in and of itself (assuming some overlap). The Runners are odd in that they managed to keep 23-25K readers from their debut (that's over 50% retention). Academy retained less than half but still managed to maintain at least 23K readers for 2 years.

Alright, so, assuming that the long term reading audience is about 50K (assuming all fans, those interested in mindless violence and murder, etc). It's what Young Avengers were pulling for regular issues and minis, just for comparison. Now, drop the Runaways fans entirely and half the average Academy readers. At worst, this thing may have 13K potential readers on the high end. If both Academy and Runners readers drop it entirely (which I know is not going to happen, as some people feel compelled to buy everything where their favorites show up regardless of quality), it's more like 3K readership left.

Alternatively, based on my poll numbers, only 17% of those polled expressed interest. If this number holds, then the retention number is only about 8.5K. Far, far worse. If I add in the neutral ones, that's a third of the potential readership: 16.7K.

It's a precarious title from what I've been able to gather. But this is just informed speculation, not a prediction.

Starting with a larger core number will raise the possibility of it lasting longer, but poor writing could make it drop even faster. But, again, this is not predictive, just a possibility.
    "Curse you, Occam's Razor! You have betrayed me!"

Reviewing is a lot like paleontology: the evidence is there, but no one seems to agree on it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Majin Gojira View Post
    This also does not have the benefit of big name heroes or being the BIG SUMMER EVENT. At most, it may break 70K in the first issue (extremely unlikely, but possible. Great, right? That's what Young X-Men did.

And that one was a critical failure and crashed and burned, ending at #12. It consigned an entire generation of mutants to background and supporting role appearances outside of the odd mini since it's end (a sad fate for these kids who survive it).

I have several reasons to doubt that it will succeed. One of the primary ones is that Runaways fans are notoriously sensitive. Any sign of weakness or something they dislike, and they jump ship en-mass. Spoiled by a great writer, they don't accept anything less than greatness anymore.

As well they should.

Runaways was mostly supported in the first run by Trade sales as well. So in both cases, they have a high probability of not buying it. So lets run some hypothetical numbers.

Both did about (averaged between them) 50K at their highest runs (Runaways with Joss Whedon only, they actually debuted at 43K). I honestly don't see the potential audience for this exceeding that by very much (accounting for the bloodthirsty gore-hounds -- The Terror Titans mini didn't exactly sell spectacularly, and that's the best analogue we have to this, only it's likely worse). Academy debut at almost 46K. Really, 50K is a good estimate for a starting point. For the first issue. Variants may push it up to, but after issue 1, the variant want is going to drop something fierce I think, but the potential audience from the Runners and Academy kids could be around 40K in and of itself (assuming some overlap). The Runners are odd in that they managed to keep 23-25K readers from their debut (that's over 50% retention). Academy retained less than half but still managed to maintain at least 23K readers for 2 years.

Alright, so, assuming that the long term reading audience is about 50K (assuming all fans, those interested in mindless violence and murder, etc). It's what Young Avengers were pulling for regular issues and minis, just for comparison. Now, drop the Runaways fans entirely and half the average Academy readers. At worst, this thing may have 13K potential readers on the high end. If both Academy and Runners readers drop it entirely (which I know is not going to happen, as some people feel compelled to buy everything where their favorites show up regardless of quality), it's more like 3K readership left.

Alternatively, based on my poll numbers, only 17% of those polled expressed interest. If this number holds, then the retention number is only about 8.5K. Far, far worse. If I add in the neutral ones, that's a third of the potential readership: 16.7K.

It's a precarious title from what I've been able to gather. But this is just informed speculation, not a prediction.

Starting with a larger core number will raise the possibility of it lasting longer, but poor writing could make it drop even faster. But, again, this is not predictive, just a possibility.
    Please move along to a sales thread if you're going to prattle on this way. STOP DERAILING THE THREAD!

MXAAGVNIEETRO were right The Black Guardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Swashbuckler View Post
    I'd say being beheaded by X-23 is pretty status quo changing, lol.
    Yeah, because it sure changed a lot when Wolverine beheaded Xorn... and Sabretooth.
    COEXIST | NOEXIST

ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelCipher
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by Swashbuckler View Post
    Please move along to a sales thread if you're going to prattle on this way. STOP DERAILING THE THREAD!
    It was brought up, I decided to answer it. One post does not a thread derailment make. I just like giving complete answers. But I won't say anymore on the matter.

Yeah, because it sure changed a lot when Wolverine beheaded Xorn... and Sabretooth.
    And now I'm flashing back to the flash animation "X-Men: Death Becomes Them," and I am smiling.
    Last edited by Majin Gojira; 12-04-2012 at 06:48 AM. Reason: Removing Passive Agressiveness.

Reviewing is a lot like paleontology: the evidence is there, but no one seems to agree on it.

MXAAGVNIEETRO were right The Black Guardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    From an interview:

Kev Walker: ....This Arcade isn't leaving anything to chance; you never know what's real and what isn't....

I bet that Hazmat was a clone or something. Or it was Hazmat's dream. Or Hazmat WAS hurt but she was hallucinating. I'm pretty sure the scene was one of these.
    I don't even see how we could be expected to think that scene was real. It was way too surreal and absurd.

And based on what Kev Walker said, I will choose to think all deaths in this series are LMDs until it's stated elsewhere.
    COEXIST | NOEXIST

ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelCipher
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

BANNED

In chronological order of death :

Sentinel Boy
    Radioactive Girl and Red Rockslide
    Other random characters I don't know nor care about.
    And X-23 stays alive. Preferably, she kills her opponents by detaching her own limbs and throwing them like blades. Totally faithful to Kyle/Yost characterization.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Guardian View Post
    I don't even see how we could be expected to think that scene was real. It was way too surreal and absurd.

And based on what Kev Walker said, I will choose to think all deaths in this series are LMDs until it's stated elsewhere.
    I prefer VR simulation myself, if only because I was a tween during the time VR was big.

BANNED

Exclamation Who should be in Avengers Arena?

The maximum Gorefest is about to start! A dozen or so annoying characters will kill each other for Arcade's and our amusement. Two deaths are even promised for the first issue seeing the cover! Who do you think should be on this book in order to be brutally mauled? What teenage character should be dropped in Murderworld so X-23 can behead them? Make your choices! All teens from all the MU are eligible to die in this great book!

My list of inclusions:

-Patriot
    -Finesse (Sage wannabe die!)
    -Runaways Plant Girl, (no idea what her name is)
    -Quentin Quire
    -NotPixie (new girl from WATXM with wings)
    -Transonic (her corpse since she's already been killed by Wakandans)
    -The animal boy from Gen Hope
    -The latin boy from Gen Hope

I'll think of some horrible characters later and add to the list.

BANNED

Hey, why don't you make an Avengers Arena appreciation thread and stop making more threads rubbing in people's faces "HA HA! These characters should die!"

No really, you're clogging up the board.

Praiseworthy Analyst Emerald_616's Avatar

Prodigy

Primal
    Velocidad
    Transonic
    Jia Ling
    Eye Boy
    Shark Tits
    that crustacean creature
    Graymalkin
    Crosta
    Ink

And Martha should be there to curbstomp them all into the ground and win just to turn Arcade into her b***h.
    "Claremazons are made to be punished." - jarrod

Essential reading

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    Hey, why don't you make an Avengers Arena appreciation thread and stop making more threads rubbing in people's faces "HA HA! These characters should die!"

No really, you're clogging up the board.
    I don't know what you're talking about, this my only thread about the subject and it is a subject that is not being covered in other threads. If you don't like it or agree with it then don't post in it. You're not contractually obliged to post in every thread there is. And take your vile hatred elsewhere while we discuss who do we want to see get mauled.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald_616 View Post
    Prodigy

Primal
    Velocidad
    Transonic
    Jia Ling
    Eye Boy
    Shark Tits
    that crustacean creature
    Graymalkin
    Crosta
    Ink

And Martha should be there to curbstomp them all into the ground and win just to turn Arcade into her b***h.
    ugh I can't believe I forgot about Ink and Graymalkin. Those Young X-Men abortions should've been killed long ago. And Prodigy too! He should be serving coffee to Mephisto!
    Last edited by Valeria Kementari; 12-04-2012 at 07:28 AM.

And here we go...

BANNED

I'd love Loa to be in because she'd probably slaughter them all by the end of her first week there. I doubt there's any KFC in Muderland (or whatever).