Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance is one of the best superhero movies out there.

I don't know... SoV was much better than the first Ghost Rider, but one of the best out there? That is a bit of a stretch considering how many really good films have been coming out lately.

What really good films?

Spirit of Vengeance is the only superhero movie of the last few years that floored me with some of its visuals. The scene of Cage riding toward the screen and shaking his head as it turns into a skull, the scene where he turns the mining machine into a ridiculously destructive force, the scene where the kid breathes flames into Cage's mouth to return his powers - this stuff was flatout stunning in the theater.

It is pretty damn fun. Cool effects and action from filmmakers who seemed to "get it" in terms of knowing what they had with Nicholas Cage and Ghost Rider and what they could do with it. No pretensions or bigger themes, just coolness. I've only seen it on tv but I've watched it enough on Starz that my wife groans whenver she sees me start watching it again.
    "There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and some day, they will. And that's how Sue Cs it."- Sue Sylvester, "Glee"

It's already been mentioned, but for me it's Dolph's take on the Punisher. Definitely no classic and it is picked on a lot for the rather silly "naked in the sewer" scenes.

It's probably Dolph's best film (yeah I know that isn't really saying much) and the fight scenes were really exciting and well done. Now I admit that I saw this when I was 12 years old and didn't have the most critical mind at the time.

I watched it again a few years ago and while it definitely wasn't as good as I remembered I still prefer it to Jane's film and I think it's a fun action movie.
    Life looks better in black and white.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    (Is there no one in Hollywood who will wear a mask for an entire film to make the character work?)
    V for Vendetta says yes.

Quote Originally Posted by jesse_custer View Post
    Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance is one of the best superhero movies out there.
    I haven't seen this yet. I will see this. I doubt very much that I'll agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by destro View Post
    It's already been mentioned, but for me it's Dolph's take on the Punisher. Definitely no classic and it is picked on a lot for the rather silly "naked in the sewer" scenes.

It's probably Dolph's best film (yeah I know that isn't really saying much)
    Drago would like a word with you.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

BANNED

I tought The Losers movie is going to be rubbish, but actually it turned out well.

BANNED

Default BUMP! Does free comix movie factor into enjoyment of costly comic movie?

Maybe it's a sin, but I'd thought I'd swing this off to a tangent rather than start a new thread: I'm watching "Constantine" on free cable right now and liking it more than when I bought "tentpole" tickets with a date, and we walked out because it sucked and we had better things to do.

I keep hearing that the "Daredevil" director's cut is better than the theatrical cut, but what about a free comix flick that shows up unexpectedly after you've already spewed your hatred for spending your hard-earned dollars on the same flick? Does getting a freebie make up for blowing a wad? Are your standards lower for stuff that you stumble across than if you waited in line, got a crummy seat and maybe got clock-bocked by a badness you dragged a date to see?

Quote Originally Posted by Deep_Sleeper View Post
    I thought the Shadow movie was pretty good.
    Is that the one with Alec Baldwin?

Quote Originally Posted by Romero View Post
    Mainly because I have also seen the "Man-Thing" movie and THAT was a true abomination of sight and sound.
    I didn't think it was that bad, it works more as a typical horror/monster B-movie than a comic book adaptation but was fun despite the bad acting. I also watched it uncensored of Fearnet so that might have something to do with it as well.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Ood Omega View Post
    Is that the one with Alec Baldwin?
    It is indeed. Jack Donnegy knows what evil lurks...

Anybody mentioned Mystery Men or Cowboys & Aliens yet?
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    Anybody mentioned Mystery Men or Cowboys & Aliens yet?
    You had low expectations for Mystery Men??

Tom Jane's PUNISHER is just great.
    THE SHADOW and THE PHANTOM were quite wonderful (SHADOW moreso).
    I even enjoyed the 1990 CAPTAIN AMERICA.

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    Drago would like a word with you.
    That's a Stallone movie, ultimately.

The Punisher is a full-fledged Lundgren movie with kickass action all the way through.

R.I.P. Dwayne McDuffie Greg Anderson's Avatar

I remember when the first Hulk film was coming out, everyone was so excited. I thought it was going to be trashed. When people saw it and told me about how much they hated it, I gave a proud, "I told you so." Then I saw it and was floored with how much I loved it. I still love Ang Lee's version to this day.

Loved both Daredevil versions, theatrical and director's cut (although the latter is very much superior).

I was also waiting to hate G.I. Joe. That didn't look good AT ALL! Yet I had SOOOO much fun watching it.
    Greg Anderson: Blackized Anti-Sterotypist!

Free Umbra!