Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Terrax's high-end durability feats (living comfortably inside a black hole when hiding from Galactus, etc.) are way past Hulk's. That, plus his other powers (flight, range game) mean he stomps 3. He also one-shots a planet - the scan is all over the place on Rumbles so I don't know the value of digging it back up, and that's something that Hulk has never done, so he wins #2 as well. Just based on high-end durability and damage output feats, he should take #1 as well, but then we never actually see him fight without the axe, so I can't be sure there.
    Did he do that on pure durability or was he using the Power Cosmic to negate most of the gravity?
    Fry: That stinks, Professor. Too bad the universe made it turn out that way and not some other way. I wonder why it did that.

Stephen Hawking: Probably magnets.

DOOM DEMANDS MORE NACHOS!

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome-X View Post
    Did he do that on pure durability or was he using the Power Cosmic to negate most of the gravity?
    Seemed like pure durability. He wasn't "doing" anything to live there. He was just hanging out. Galactus couldn't follow him because it would have blown up the universe or something (can you say: PIS alert), so he, ahem, powered up Dazzler to go into the black hole and take out Terrax. She did.

There's a voice, that keeps on calling me....

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Seemed like pure durability. He wasn't "doing" anything to live there. He was just hanging out. Galactus couldn't follow him because it would have blown up the universe or something (can you say: PIS alert), so he, ahem, powered up Dazzler to go into the black hole and take out Terrax. She did.
    I think another part of me just died. It wasn't my brain though, because I felt that break.
    Yes, I know the voices aren't real. But they do have some VERY good ideas....

Terrax wasn't exactly comfortable in the black hole, pretty sure he was using PC extensively and Galactus wanted him alive, which is why he sent Dazz

DOOM DEMANDS MORE NACHOS!

Well, it's been well over, what, 25 years since I read that story, but I seem to remember Terrax having a fine old time. He was inconvienced by not being able to leave, what with Big G's ship hovering just past his front door and all, but he wasn't in pain, he wasn't sweating, he wasn't bowed over or making any overt usages of power to survive that I recall.

It's been a reeeeeeeallllly long time, though.

BTW - Crawford - nice sig. Kudos for your graciousness! I can't guarantee we'd have got the same sentiment from other parts of your continent. ;)

Has there ever been an in story reason as to why the heralds have wildly fluctuating power levels? Surfer doesn't need to use the PC to survive a black hole, but Terrax might of? Especially since IIRC Surfer prior to becoming a herald was just a normal dude, while Terrax had super powers. Giving them varying levels of durability seems counterproductive.
    Last edited by Surtur; 12-04-2012 at 08:35 AM.
    A woman can move a lot faster with her skirt up than a man can with his pants down.

Quote Originally Posted by Surtur View Post
    Has there ever been an in story reason as to why the heralds have wildly fluctuating power levels? Surfer doesn't need to use the PC to survive a black hole, but Terrax might of? Especially since IIRC Surfer prior to becoming a herald was just a normal dude, while Terrax had super powers.
    There's very little logical explanation about ANYTHING herald-related.

Like why is it, despite Galactus existing for over 13.7 billion years (since before the start of the Universe), up until a few years ago (Marvel time) he'd only had two heralds (The Fallen One and Surfer), but over the last five or six years (again, Marvel time) he's gone through Air-walker, Firelord, Air-walker Android, Terrax, Nova, Morg, Destroyer, Red Shift, Johnny Storm, Dazzler(?), Stardust.......

Seriously, dude needs a better recruitment policy.

I always wondered why he couldn't just use tech to build him sensors/probes that find planets for him. This means he doesn't have to waste any energy empowering a herald or worry about said heralds possibly getting a guilty conscience, etc. He certainly has access to high level tech.
    A woman can move a lot faster with her skirt up than a man can with his pants down.

Anti-Matter Eyes Eternal Torment's Avatar

I always wondered why he couldn't just use tech to build him sensors/probes that find planets for him. This means he doesn't have to waste any energy empowering a herald or worry about said heralds possibly getting a guilty conscience, etc. He certainly has access to high level tech.
    It's because he needs somebody to angst in his place.

Everyone's favorite host Guy Smiley's Avatar

IIRC, they actually addressed this in the Intelligencia arc of the Hulk a while back. Galactus apparently used to send out something called the Cosmos Automation Program that travelled the cosmos and 'infect' people, causing them to build cosmic robots that would soften the place up for him so he wouldn't have to expend energy obliterating the natives. Problem was that people kept figuring out how to hack the robots, which they then usually sent to go try and kill Galactus. Big G just got sick of it eventually, and moved on to Heralds.

He did do it, I think. He just generally prefers living beings, I assume.
    Suffering is a fact of life. You survive if you find a reason to endure it.

Anti-Matter Eyes Eternal Torment's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Smiley View Post
    IIRC, they actually addressed this in the Intelligencia arc of the Hulk a while back. Galactus apparently used to send out something called the Cosmos Automation Program that travelled the cosmos and 'infect' people, causing them to build cosmic robots that would soften the place up for him so he wouldn't have to expend energy obliterating the natives. Problem was that people kept figuring out how to hack the robots, which they then usually sent to go try and kill Galactus. Big G just got sick of it eventually, and moved on to Heralds.
    I have to say, either Galactus does not know how to program, or those aliens were a bunch of Reed-level scientists.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Torment View Post
    I have to say, either Galactus does not know how to program, or those aliens were a bunch of Reed-level scientists.
    Nah, it's just Galactus' usual self-destruct system.

To the Fallen One: "Here, have the power by which to betray me."
    To the Surfer: "Here, have the power by which to betray me."
    To Terrax: "Here, have the power by which to betray me."
    To Morg: "Here, have the power by which to betray me."
    To Reed: "See this nullifier thing I just have lying around? Only weapon that can kill me." *nods*
    To Alien Races: "Here have these robots which you can re-program to come and try to kill me."

It's like the guy WANTS to be betrayed. (Once again, reasons why to be found in my never-to-be-published event story.)

From what Guy said, Galactus wasn't actually the one building the robots. He used something that caused other people to do it.

So that explains it.
    Suffering is a fact of life. You survive if you find a reason to endure it.