Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    RecessionBornSuperVillain deathcry's Avatar

Default Avengers #34 *Spoilers*

Well thus ends the Bendis era...
    ok, almost. I think 1 more issue of his New Avengers. And of course Age of Ultron.

I know many (many, many) didn't like his Avengers stories over the last 8 years. Personally i have been up and down... some great stories, some I thought were not as great. But over the 232 issues he says he wrote, I have to say over all, I have enjoyed the run. biggest complaint..the decompression, but I am not a big fan of floppies to begin with.

Many of the complaints have centered around his choice of new Avengers...Spider-man, Wolverine, Luke Cage, Spider-woman, etc., and some of the things he did (or didn't do) with the "classic" Avengers. Well honestly I read this issue as a love letter to not only those "classic" Avengers, but those fans who wish for those days/stories. Yes Spider-man, Wolverine, Red hulk, Spider-woman are there, as well, as Bendis-creations Hill and Daisy Johnson (in a hilarious back and forth that could only be called, "What would happen if Hill and Quake Met?")...but front and center of this story line, and especially this issue are the original Avengers (Wasp, Pym, Iron man, Thor) and their first recruits....Captain American and... Wonder Man. (Yea no Hulk... but he is every where else with the Avengers this year so and he wasn't really a long time member in the sense of this issue anyway).
    Also the cameos, if you will, of other "classic" Aengers.... Hawkeye, Vision, Scarlet Witch, Balck Widow...completes to the nod to the 'old days'.

Spoilers for those who care.....

While the short-haired SHIELD agents 'discuss' strategy, Wonder Man beats them to the punch and decides to go in after the missing Avengers himself...as he 'owes it to Captain America'.
    Basically Simon saves their butts in the micro-verse, the original Avengers rally together and defeat their micro-verse foes. Simon and janet are very happy to see each other. The Avengers return to Central park. Janet is happy to see the gathered Avengers and comments "Scarlet Witch?! Vision?! Dude! Uh, does everybody see the Red-colored Hulk?"
    Gouzar from the micro-verse follows them back to Central Back and attacks the Avengers. Big mistake. Avengers and 'New' Avengers take him apart, and send him back. The feel of the Avengers re-united and fighting a bad guy, instead of each other...or the public....highlights the book.

I know many still like those Englehart, Shooter, Busiek like stories, and would like to see the Avengers remain that way. I'm not one of those. I like that Bendis took them somewhere else, and even if I didn't always like where he took them, I am glad he didn't just give us more of the same. I think this issue showed there is always room for another story in the "classic" vein. I am very much looking forward to where Hickman takes the Avengers. As Robert downing Jr errr Tony Stark says at the end of Avengers #34.. "We go bigger"
    Good luck in the X-verse Bendis That should be an interesting ride.

BANNED

here is my opinion of the bendis avengers stuff that i have read

rating scale
    5 of 5 - supurb
    4 of 5 - great
    3 of 5 - good
    2 of 5 - ok / meh / blah
    1 of 5 - bad
    0 of 5 - horrible

avengers dissasembled - 3

Secret War - 5

New Avengers - BREAKOUT - 2-3
    NA - SENTRY - 3
    NA - SECRETS AND LIES - 4
    NA - THE COLLECTIVE - 3
    NA - POWERLOSS - 4
    NA - SEIGE - 3

SEIGE - 4

Avengers vol1 - 2
    A vol2 - 2
    A - Fear itself - the issue with the possesd thing beating the rulk half to death was great but the rest was kinda crap so a low 2
    A - Hammer war - 2
    A - avx - 1
    A - janets return - 2

NA - vol.1 (arc where voodoo dies) - 4
    NA - vol.2 (arc with superia and the 50s avengers) - 3
    NA - fear itself - 2
    NA - Hammer war - 2-3

ALL of Dark Avengers - strong 4
    Last edited by Movieartman; 11-21-2012 at 10:15 AM.

This closing arc didn't work for me...the obvious reset feels rushed and the dialogue (Hill-Daisy in particular) isn't as cute as Bendis thinks it is.

I agree with my two fellow posters above me, BMB had his flaws of things i didn't like. But for the most part i like how he build to the Avengers history.
    By bring in characters that you would have never guessed would join, and some people complain about that but look at Hickman Avengers. He got character that we never guessed would join the team, and that is what it is about building to the history as death said not just more of the same.
    Animals sense weakness, sharks smell blood in water
    Ishmael, Moses and Job, knew the divine order.

Was Janet Van Dynes return seemless? Did we learn why Gouzer could defeat the Avengers in Under Space, but got defeated in the Marvel U? How did Janet and Hank Pym interact after they got back to Earth space? Did Janet slap Thor for sending her to under space? How did Janet get cured of the disease the Skrull gave her? Does Janet still consider herself an active Avenger or is there some prologue where Janet wants to leave? How dumb does Pym feel knowing he couldn't figure out where Janet actually is? Scientist Supreme gets depressed. Will Janet continue sharing tongue with Cap on Earth like she did in under space? Can somebody tell me what Hawkeye did when he saw Janet? (Suspects Clint tried to get into her pants). Any hint that the Doctor Strange story followed on in NA straight from this?
    Visited NY and DC and saw Spider-Man Turn off the Dark.

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Was Janet Van Dynes return seemless? Did we learn why Gouzer could defeat the Avengers in Under Space, but got defeated in the Marvel U? How did Janet and Hank Pym interact after they got back to Earth space? Did Janet slap Thor for sending her to under space? How did Janet get cured of the disease the Skrull gave her? Does Janet still consider herself an active Avenger or is there some prologue where Janet wants to leave? How dumb does Pym feel knowing he couldn't figure out where Janet actually is? Scientist Supreme gets depressed. Will Janet continue sharing tongue with Cap on Earth like she did in under space? Can somebody tell me what Hawkeye did when he saw Janet? (Suspects Clint tried to get into her pants). Any hint that the Doctor Strange story followed on in NA straight from this?
    Janet's really Ultron. the Avengers unwittingly brought him back to Earth.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

Quote Originally Posted by Monty_Cristo View Post
    Janet's really Ultron. the Avengers unwittingly brought him back to Earth.
    Bite your tongue. Ultron could never look like Janet. That cross dressing alone would send him insane. ( Oh wait. He did. Maybe that's why Ultron never wore clothes in MA)? You know, it was all those times Janet used Ultron as a manikin. It was all her fault he turned gay!!

And people think Age of Ultron is just about world conquest.
    Last edited by jackolover; 11-21-2012 at 02:27 PM.

Bite your tongue. Ultron could never look like Janet. That cross dressing alone would send him insane. ( Oh wait. He did. Maybe that's why Ultron never wore clothes in MA)? You know, it was all those times Janet used Ultron as a manikin. It was all her fault he turned gay!!
    And people think Age of Ultron is just about world conquest.
    you suck
    PaperArt
    XPOTM, 6/12

Did we learn why Gouzer could defeat the Avengers in Under Space, but got defeated in the Marvel U?
    Well, part of it I'm sure is the numbers. At the start it was Gouzar + his army vs 5 Avengers (6 when Simon showed up), then in Central Park it was Gouzar by himself vs all(?) current Avengers + SHIELD

What a lame issue. I doubt this is the ending Bendis originally had planned for this series. I wish I we could get some insight to his real plans.

Could have been better, but it did have high points. Loved Wasp's reaction to Carol's new hairstyle

Quote Originally Posted by Game Show View Post
    Well, part of it I'm sure is the numbers. At the start it was Gouzar + his army vs 5 Avengers (6 when Simon showed up), then in Central Park it was Gouzar by himself vs all(?) current Avengers + SHIELD
    thanks. i thought there may be science differences from under Space to earth space, so when gouzer fired his gun it wouldn't work.

Releasing Johnny's torch Ravin' Ray's Avatar
    Where the diwatas and the Triumph Division call home

Why is She-Hulk absent or not on-panel at the welcome home party for her BFF?
    Johnny Storm was dead; who is this resurrected Johnny Storm?
    "Here, hold my Annihilus…" Johnny Storm, Fantastic Four #601

Was it a satisfying ending or was it one of those "Oh darn, only one issue left, better resolve this tension I've been lovingly cultivating for ten issues" deals?

Fun issue and so glad that Jan's back.
    Don't know if it was just artistic license or a calculated thing, but there definitely seemed to be some sparks between Wanda and Simon at Jan's welcome back party.
    PaperArt
    XPOTM, 6/12