Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Goldgeller View Post
    It's hard to give a number, and it's hard to rate an unfinished run against a finished run. I would've given Brubaker's DD run a 8 or 9 until he did that Shadowland non-sense... It may seem silly, but Shadowland governed everything I thought about Brubaker's run-- his run lead up to that, and it made all the cool "Daredevil in prison" stuff a wash.
    Shadowland was Andy Diggle, not Brubaker, although Brubaker put some of the pieces in place. I thought Brubaker's run started off wonderfully with the prison arc, then dragged through the overly long Mr. Fear storyline, then came back for a strong finish with Lady Bullseye and Return of the King. Diggle's start was promising-- the Japan arc, in particular, was quite good-- but Shadowland was terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    Shadowland was Andy Diggle, not Brubaker, although Brubaker put some of the pieces in place. I thought Brubaker's run started off wonderfully with the prison arc, then dragged through the overly long Mr. Fear storyline, then came back for a strong finish with Lady Bullseye and Return of the King. Diggle's start was promising-- the Japan arc, in particular, was quite good-- but Shadowland was terrible.
    AAAAH! I feel like such a nut! You're totally right. I feel like such a nut! Thank you very much. I blame myself for the oversight. But I also blame shadowland for destroying my ability to use internet search

Quote Originally Posted by Goldgeller View Post
    AAAAH! I feel like such a nut! You're totally right. I feel like such a nut! Thank you very much. I blame myself for the oversight. But I also blame shadowland for destroying my ability to use internet search
    Heh! Shadowland had that effect on a lot of us.

Bendis' run was amazing. I can reread those and they are still good.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Quote Originally Posted by nosocialize100 View Post
    Oh yeah. One of my favourite runs of any comicbook ever.

Having said that, I'm finding End Of Days to be somewhat underwhelming. I think Bendis went back to the well and found it a little dry.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by nosocialize100 View Post
    I agree. I'm actually currently doing that. I'm gonna give Waid's DD a try when I'm done.

Quote Originally Posted by theDarkestKnight View Post
    On a scale of 1-10 how good is Waid's DD really? I'm thinking of asking for vol.1-3 of the tpbs for christmas.
    Vol 1 and 2: Solid 9/10. Maybe even 10/10. Seriously great stuff.

Vol 3 isn't as good. The Omega Effect story was a let down after so much build-up and the subsequent Latveria arc, while good, didn't have the spark of the previous issues. The upside is the book finally gets a regular artist, though he and the colourist don't really sync up until #16. Worth reading for sure but not the greatness the previous two books were. 7/10

However, what is to be Vol 4 has so far been amazing and back to the level of Vol 1 and 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    I'm finding End Of Days to be somewhat underwhelming.
    That genuinely surprises me. As a Bendis/Maleev DD fan, End of Days is absolutely scratching the itch for me. It's reminding me how much I loved reading their run every month. And, without getting into spoilers, I think it's been great so far. Especially issue #1. I hope you enjoy the rest of it more.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyOldHermit View Post
    Vol 1 and 2: Solid 9/10. Maybe even 10/10. Seriously great stuff.

Vol 3 isn't as good. The Omega Effect story was a let down after so much build-up and the subsequent Latveria arc, while good, didn't have the spark of the previous issues. The upside is the book finally gets a regular artist, though he and the colourist don't really sync up until #16. Worth reading for sure but not the greatness the previous two books were. 7/10

However, what is to be Vol 4 has so far been amazing and back to the level of Vol 1 and 2.
    Sweet. Thanks, looks like I'll be asking for them.

Quote Originally Posted by EricDraven View Post
    That genuinely surprises me. As a Bendis/Maleev DD fan, End of Days is absolutely scratching the itch for me. It's reminding me how much I loved reading their run every month. And, without getting into spoilers, I think it's been great so far. Especially issue #1. I hope you enjoy the rest of it more.
    No biggie if I don't, I can always just stop reading it.

I'm glad you're enjoying it.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

BANNED

I completly forgot about End of Days going on right now. I'll have to trade wait it now.

End of Days has time to start getting good. Right now its basically Urich visiting everyone, but I love it for the art alone. Janson, Bill, Mack! You cant go wrong with those classic DD artists.

I just started reading Daredevil, and I enjoy mark waid's run. I am a new reader.
    I hope to read some of the past daredevil's works, as soon as I have time.
    I recently subscribed to marvel digital comics unlimted.
    Hope to get some recommendation on which books in daredevil should I go after.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by chongjasmine View Post
    I just started reading Daredevil, and I enjoy mark waid's run. I am a new reader.
    You picked a good time to get into the character.

Quote Originally Posted by chongjasmine View Post
    The most easily would be to go for the trades. Reading order:
    Man with out fear
    Frank Miller vol 1-3 (good start point)
    Born Again (good start point)
    Guardian Devil (good start point, even though it amkes more sens if you have read Born Again)
    Daredevil: Yellow (no it is not an origin story no matter what people are saying you should at least read Born Again and Guardian Devil)
    Bendis vol 1-3 (good start points)

I haven'tr read Brubaker's run I stop reading comics when he was starting and recently came back (the first couple of issues where good but I can't judge his entrie run).

Fall from Grace and Fall of the King Pin is OOP however good stories. Nocenti's Typhoid Mary is sadly also OOP but also a good storiy. You can get her Lone Stranger. it is not as good as Typhoid Mary and for some it might be to political. O'Neil's run has only been collected in the somehow messy Love's Labour Lost TPB. It lacks some issue that build up to the Irish Story and have som stories that doesn't make much sense like #219 (intresting story by Frank Miller but is already in FM volume 3 and is a weird filler that don't fit in. It is also put in the end of the TPB even though it should be between two of O'Niels issues). Echo and Visual Quest drawn amazingly by david Mack and Written by Joe Quesada is also good but not essenial imo.

Hopefully Marvel will do something about Nocenti, O'Neil and Chichester's run. I'm not holding my breath though.