Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Captain Marvel?

I think he meant this Captain Marvel. What he was called before DC decided to call him Shazam in the New 52.
    Comics were happier before the Internet turned writing superhero stories into fruitless attempts to impress/entertain a small group of ppl who appear to hate comics and their creators.
    Grant Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak View Post
    I think he meant this Captain Marvel. What he was called before DC decided to call him Shazam in the New 52.
    I know, but:
    (A.) DC wimped out and totally surrendered the name (since they can't actually call a book "Captain Marvel", even though he doesn't have one yet)
    (B.) The New 52 version is so unlike the cool one I remember, I'm sort of glad he's not officially "Captain Marvel".

And did you notice Marvel's blurb calling Carol Danvers "Earth's Mightiest Hero", a direct dig at DC?

Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

And did you notice Marvel's blurb calling Carol Danvers "Earth's Mightiest Hero", a direct dig at DC?
    I did. *sigh* Marvel...
    Comics were happier before the Internet turned writing superhero stories into fruitless attempts to impress/entertain a small group of ppl who appear to hate comics and their creators.
    Grant Morrison

I'm not bothered by him not being there. As others have said, even though I like the concept of the character, he never really seemed to actually do all that much. The only thing that confuses/bothers me about the situation is that with all the press around them making Cyborg a founding member, the big push of how he was going to be the standard-bearer for diversity, and they've relegated him to the same tech/support role MM had. Stand around in the background, have one or two lines per issue. They made a big fuss about replacing Martian Manhunter and then haven't done anything to justify it.
    Be a fan of the creators, not the characters.

I was bothered by MM not being a founding member, at first, but as time went on, I got over it. I think Cyborg is an important inclusion to the New 52 JL, so if that means MM has to give up his spot, then so be it. Besides, it's not like he'll never be member of the Justice League (the one with Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman) again, sometime in the future. Hell, given another reboot, he might be a founding member again.

Quote Originally Posted by Retro315 View Post
    I got the impression that Martian Manhunter may very well have been a founding member - it's just that he's erased his existence from the memories of practically everybody in the whole DCU for some important reason, and now all the Justice League thinks they know about him is that he "was a member once, and he turned out to be an enemy".

It's really hard to say, since he's manipulating the minds of the entire DCU, if he doesn't have some kind of "Triumph-like" secret past with the Justice League, that exists only in memory retcon-form.
    I've seen this mentioned before, and I would love it if it were the case, but then I'm also afraid the reasoning will turn out to be something lame. If this did happen, then I'd hope that there is at least one Leaguer that knows the truth...perhaps a certain Dark Knight?
    DC: Action Comics - Detective Comics - Batman and... - Batman - Justice League
    Marvel: All-New X-Factor

Or more likely "Earth's Mightiest Heroes" is the tagline of the Avengers, which Carol is a member of?

I personally love the New 52 team line up.

Quote Originally Posted by stk View Post
    i could not care less. I care more about cheap beats by dre than martian manhunter. A lot more.

When jla lost wonder woman as a founder in the post-crisis era, that was a tragedy. But martian manhunter? Not so much. At the time of the jla's original creation, he was basically a low-rent superman substitute. Except shirtless and green.
    and from the '90s on, his primary use seems to have been as the jl's skype, so everyone could keep in contact with each other all the time.

If they'd reinvented him in the reboot to be more interesting, that would be one thing. But they didn't.
    Amen.
    Ditto.
    Seconded.
    Quoted For Truth.

queen of the stone age Wilder Midnight's Avatar

j'onn is a founding member of the justice league of america. all the changes in reality and perception can't change that.
    eventually all thats old will be new again.
    it's the end of the world as we know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy D View Post
    Or more likely "Earth's Mightiest Heroes" is the tagline of the Avengers, which Carol is a member of?
    Nah, I tend to doubt that.

I'm sure Marvel wants to rub their "victory" in DC's face.

Besides, is Carol now "mightier" than Thor, Hulk, or a few others?
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Nah, I tend to doubt that.

I'm sure Marvel wants to rub their "victory" in DC's face.

Besides, is Carol now "mightier" than Thor, Hulk, or a few others?
    That's the funny thing. I wouldn't consider Carol "Earth's mightiest hero" on a planet that boasts Hulk and Thor.
    Captain Marvel/Shazam really could be considered "Earth's mightiest hero" even with Superman on the planet. It's just a dig at DC, but I bet DC gets the last laugh.
    How's that Captain Marvel comic selling? How well do you think Shazam will sell?
    "A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her."

Oscar Wilde

Of course I'm bothered by it. But they needed a "minority" character and MM is the least popular out of the 7 anyway.

I know, but:
    (A.) DC wimped out and totally surrendered the name (since they can't actually call a book "Captain Marvel", even though he doesn't have one yet)
    (B.) The New 52 version is so unlike the cool one I remember, I'm sort of glad he's not officially "Captain Marvel".

Except it is the tagline for the Avengers and Carol Danvers is an Avenger.

I know, but:

Quote Originally Posted by protonik View Post
    But when did she become the 'mightiest' Avenger? Seems to me there are several Avengers that out rank her on the power scale.. Wonder Man, Thor, Hercules, and Hulk coming to mind right off the top of my head. It's pretty surely a play on the old Captain Marvel 'the world's mightiest mortal' bit. Which is much older than the Avengers being the 'Earth's Mightiest Heroes'. Marvel stuck it on her book simply as a way of grinding on the fact DC pretty much had given up the fight for the name, otherwise they would have taglined it on Thor's new book or somewhere other than Captain Marvel in particular.
    D-Deadman! You killed Deadman!!