Default Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition

Anyone try this version out?

Any notable changes with the updates that improve/worsen the gameplay?

I've never played the original Baldur's Gate or Baldur's Gate II, mostly because I never bothered learning the Dungeons 'n Dragons rules... but reading some of the reviews for these games have piqued my interest.

I bought the original games when they game out loooong ago and they are still the best RPGs I have ever played. Well worth it, if you don't pick up the new Extended stuff.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"

You don't really need to know the rules of the tabletop game - there's a tutorial in both the first and second Baldur's Gate which cover the most important points.
    Also, the games are easy enough that you don't really need an in-depth understanding of the gameplay if you decide to play on lower difficulty settings.

I mean, a basic understanding of the setting really helps understand the story, but it's not required to enjoy it and the in-game lore can help fill in the blanks.

As for Enhanced VS Original, I haven't bought the Enhanced, but from what I understand it's just an improvement of the visuals.

Either way, I'd recommend the games.
    Suffering is a fact of life. You survive if you find a reason to endure it.

I haven't read up on all the changes, but there are three new party PCs you can pick up.

Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    You don't really need to know the rules of the tabletop game - there's a tutorial in both the first and second Baldur's Gate which cover the most important points.
    Also, the games are easy enough that you don't really need an in-depth understanding of the gameplay if you decide to play on lower difficulty settings.

I mean, a basic understanding of the setting really helps understand the story, but it's not required to enjoy it and the in-game lore can help fill in the blanks.

As for Enhanced VS Original, I haven't bought the Enhanced, but from what I understand it's just an improvement of the visuals.

Either way, I'd recommend the games.
    Stuff like armour class and THACO are non-intuitive though.

Where can you get this version BTW? Probably not on Steam, as far as I can see.

Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy D View Post
    Where can you get this version BTW? Probably not on Steam, as far as I can see.
    For PC, it's only available through Beamdog.

There are iPad, Mac, and Android versions forthcoming, through their respective app stores. I'm waiting on the iPad version, myself.
    Expletive Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted View Post
    For PC, it's only available through Beamdog.

There are iPad, Mac, and Android versions forthcoming, through their respective app stores. I'm waiting on the iPad version, myself.
    Aw, nuts... (probably US only or otherwise credit card stuff)

Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy D View Post
    Stuff like armour class and THACO are non-intuitive though.
    Honestly, it's not that hard to get. More armor makes your AC go down, so obviously lower is better.

THACO...honestly, you don't need to understand it in order to beat the game. I certainly never paid any attention to it.
    Suffering is a fact of life. You survive if you find a reason to endure it.

Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    Honestly, it's not that hard to get. More armor makes your AC go down, so obviously lower is better.

THACO...honestly, you don't need to understand it in order to beat the game. I certainly never paid any attention to it.
    THAC0 works like armor class only on offense. The lower it is the better/more accurate your attacks are. At least that's what I recall anyways. It's been awhile.

I loved the original and sequel but I here the ipad version is buggy so I'm going to wait a bit longer to get it.
    “When ambition ends, happiness begins.” Thomas Merton