Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default What's up with Superboy's sales?

The book has recently sunk below the 100 mark. What do you personally think DC needs to do to course-correct?

I'm sure it'll get a sales boost with the upcoming Superman family crossover.
    DC/Marvel reader. Mostly Superman,Batman,X-Men,Avengers fan...guess I am a fan of most comics.

BANNED

Shit, I didn't even realize things had gotten that bad. They better give us a new creative team now.

I'm honestly thrilled to hear it. More evidence that the current direction isn't working popularly.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

I think cross-overs are the problem with "Superboy". The title has very little identity of it's own, for most of it's existence it's read like "Teen Titans: Supplemental", if you're not getting enough Titans in "Teen Titans" read "Superboy" for the expanded version of his roll in Titans. More recently they've added a "Ravager" story and now there's this Superman family cross-over where SB's roll has been to be a punching bag.

"H'el on Earth" might boost sales while it's going but I can't see it generating much on-going interest in Superboy if he spends the practically the whole time unconscious while the other characters establish their differences by debating whether or not to kill him H'el: Clones are an abomination, I can prove what a nice guy I am by breaking his neck. Kara: I've been raised on Krypton, I agree clones are abominations, but he's unconscious and looks like a teenager. I'm not totally on board with cold-blooded murder, even if he is a clone. Clark: I was raised on Earth, I know he's a clone but I don't have any strong disposition to think clones are evil. He's an unconscious, helpless person, that H'el thinks breaking his neck is supposed to impress me tells me everything I need to know about H'el; he's the bad guy in this scenario. But thus far SB has spent almost the whole cross-over as an object to be fought over not as a character.

It's a bit of both. Too many crossovers and a poor current direction under DeFalco. Just have him in Teen Titans or Ravagers, one or the other. Though it'll probably get a short-term boost from the Superman crossover.

The first five issues were good as well as a couple other single-issue stories (the Lobdell-written Kon/Cassie and Kon/Bunker issues), but besides that the title hasn't done anything else all that special, since Culling turned into a mess and DeFalco turned the book into standard superhero stuff.

So basically, yeah. Give the book to a good writer and keep him away from Ravagers, that book has only so long itself before it's cancelled.
    Last edited by LoneNecromancer; 12-01-2012 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet View Post
    I think cross-overs are the problem with "Superboy". The title has very little identity of it's own, for most of it's existence it's read like "Teen Titans: Supplemental", if you're not getting enough Titans in "Teen Titans" read "Superboy" for the expanded version of his roll in Titans. More recently they've added a "Ravager" story and now there's this Superman family cross-over where SB's roll has been to be a punching bag.
    Well that's a bit of a chicken and the egg, isn't it? I'd argue that part of the reason the book is so easily drafted into crossovers is because it hasn't been able to establish an identity, an aesthetic, of its own. Putting Tom Defalco, who has been in the industry forever so no disrespect intended, but putting as old school a writer as Tom Defalco on such a book is just a death sentence to generating buzz, and is quite contrary to the mission statement not only of the New 52 - which is new ideas for a modern age - but for a Young Justice title, and a SuperBOY title as well.

Superboy's place as a member of the Superman franchise and a member of Titans can only serve to bring more attention to the character, and the book, but it has to be capitalized upon if it's to succeed in actually gaining readers, and the current creative team simply isn't primed to do that.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    Well that's a bit of a chicken and the egg, isn't it? I'd argue that part of the reason the book is so easily drafted into crossovers is because it hasn't been able to establish an identity, an aesthetic, of its own.
    I'd agree with that. While Superboy is one of my favorite DC characters, I'm starting to feel like launching this book was a mistake on DC's part. I don't think they have any real idea of what to do with the character. It almost seems like Superboy would be better off as a character if they let him get established in TT or some other team book and then launched his solo once they had a direction for him.

Tactile Telekinesis stephens2177's Avatar

Having superboy so low in sales depresses me to no end,he is my favorite,ive been a fan since 93,and ive been a fan through kesel and johns,not so much lemire though.i would lovefor this book to succeed,and i donenjoy the book every month,but even i can see its got problems,not only writimg,but art.
    I love that he is a hybrid clone,i love his TTK,and his current version of that is by far my favorite,but i think it is not capitilized on as wellas it should be,by far.

I wouldlove to have that fun magic that kesel gave the book now in this book,johns could bring a nice personal touch to the character, and on art man i miss grummett and hazlewood,they would be beyond perfect ,course ive liked many other artist,even booths SB is pretty cool to me.i like the character as he is now,his nefarious origin,his awesome powerset,his cold,detached,but learning to be a real boy personality.

I really didnt like that Harvest used his trigger words in legion lost,not SBs own book first,.i can see how all these different crossovers ontonother bolks can piss a person off so to not buy the book,maybe they should keep himnin one book,and give him bigger adventures that put him in actualdanger,and make him rise above his weaknesses.

I've been really disappointed. I had no interest in Superboy before the relaunch, but I thought the early issues were great and had a really interesting direction with him not only amoral but completely oblivious to the concept of morality and having to work out the idea of right and wrong on his own. I also thought that gave Superboy great natural potential for crossing over with Superman and Supergirl, given the emphasis those characters have on concepts of morality. Instead, they tied it to Teen Titans to the point that it became all but unreadable on its own. Given the choice of either adding TT to my list or dropping Superboy, I dropped Superboy when Cassie appeared out of nowhere in one issue, provided the cliffhanger for the issue, and then was unseen and unmentioned in the following issue.

I've been buying Superboy again for the H'el on Earth crossover, which I've been enjoying, but everyone is right that they haven't given me much reason to keep reading once that's over. And frankly, the whole idea that Kryptonian clones are automatically evil is just plain stupid. So much potential in this book just wasted IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    Well that's a bit of a chicken and the egg, isn't it? I'd argue that part of the reason the book is so easily drafted into crossovers is because it hasn't been able to establish an identity, an aesthetic, of its own. Putting Tom Defalco, who has been in the industry forever so no disrespect intended, but putting as old school a writer as Tom Defalco on such a book is just a death sentence to generating buzz, and is quite contrary to the mission statement not only of the New 52 - which is new ideas for a modern age - but for a Young Justice title, and a SuperBOY title as well.
    You do realize the original New 52 writer (Lobdell) has been writing published comic book stories since 1988, which is almost 25 years?
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Tactile Telekinesis stephens2177's Avatar

I see the kryptonian clones going crazy thing,like i see bizzaro clones,they dont do everything backwards,they go nuts,but they are both clones that dont work.

It is VERY stupid to have the first page and last page of every superboy issue come from or lead into another book,it makes you have to buy another bool,or miss out on the rest of the story,its like DC was and still is setting up kon for failure.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

well, to be fair, "below the 100 mark" is still 25k+ in sales.
    Comics were happier before the Internet turned writing superhero stories into fruitless attempts to impress/entertain a small group of ppl who appear to hate comics and their creators.
    Grant Morrison

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I hope the book keeps dropping. We need a new creative team and direction badly. It's pretty unbearable now, which I wouldn't usually care about but Sboy has been showing up in books I read (Superman/Supergirl). Not cool man.

Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    I see the kryptonian clones going crazy thing,like i see bizzaro clones,they dont do everything backwards,they go nuts,but they are both clones that dont work.

It is VERY stupid to have the first page and last page of every superboy issue come from or lead into another book,it makes you have to buy another bool,or miss out on the rest of the story,its like DC was and still is setting up kon for failure.
    Agreed, the constant crossovers need to stop. I love the character but the crossovers are getting annoying, I donít care about anyone on the Ravagers or Legion Lost and I donít want to have to keep getting there book just to know what goes on with Kon in his book.
    "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women." - Conan