Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by majormcmeat View Post
    So should her job be secure based solely on her gender?

Men are fired and/or quit over disputes with editorial, too.
    Nope.

But we all know Gail is really talented. I just don't really know why her Batgirl and Firestorm work was so subpar. I'm inclinced to blame editorial. That's usually the reason any book sinks. Editors can't stand letting writers write and they try to dictate the material.

Here's a funny idea...no more editors. It's 2012, almost 2013. Why do we still need editors? We can click and edit a script in seconds and e-mail it. Self-editing a story isn't the huge time consumer that it once was.

Let's eliminate editors! I'm totally serious. I understand the need for a senior editor, but not all these book editors running around.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Yeah given how male-dominated superhero readers are, I don't expect much else from the writing side. It would be nice if we could get more female writers, but I could care less if the output is subpar.
    Exactly. I'm not saying I'm opposed to diversity, because that would be idiotic. Diversity in general is a wonderful thing that the industry should have more of.
    But it is absolutely secondary to quality.

Quote Originally Posted by DrSimonHurt View Post
    I also want to add that despite my distaste for Gail's depiction of Batgirl, I NEVER want to see people fired from their projects. I would have rather seen a tonal shift in the dialogue of the book, not Gail being fired. That's bad.
    Why would the book change under the same writer? If they want the book to be different, their best best is to replace the creators.

BANNED

I don't think I've liked anything she's done with the exception of Secret Six.

Quote Originally Posted by majormcmeat View Post
    So should her job be secure based solely on her gender?

Men are fired and/or quit over disputes with editorial, too.

I didn't say that. You can straw man it along if you like.
    "That's the thing about the Phoenix. There always has to be destruction... Before rebirth. " - Scott Summers

Nope.

But we all know Gail is really talented. I just don't really know why her Batgirl and Firestorm work was so subpar. I'm inclinced to blame editorial. That's usually the reason any book sinks. Editors can't stand letting writers write and they try to dictate the material.

Here's a funny idea...no more editors. It's 2012, almost 2013. Why do we still need editors? We can click and edit a script in seconds and e-mail it. Self-editing a story isn't the huge time consumer that it once was.

Let's eliminate editors! I'm totally serious. I understand the need for a senior editor, but not all these book editors running around.
    We most certainly do not "all" know that.
    And while I agree that editors shouldn't screw with stories like they often do, it's silly to suggest spellchecking is their entire job.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    I don't think I've liked anything she's done with the exception of Secret Six.
    At this point I think we all know this by now. xD

Quote Originally Posted by Desean101101 View Post
    James has his Own Title Talon and I have been loving it. Team 7 has been good and Jordan has Deathstroke also. Matt Kindt is going to be writing Martian Manhunter back-ups China has the weird and creative Dial H. Gregg His doing pretty good Batman work. John Layman is doing good Batman work. Maybe we can get a new writer on Superboy but I wouldn't move Lobdell off Titans. I love the voices he has for the Little monsters.
    I'm sorry, I don't think I made my point clearly. I was saying that because these new writers have been doing such a good job on these C-list titles, they should be given the reins of some of the established B-listers in addition. Instead the B-list characters are all going to 90s holdovers.
    "Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day."

Just to add to the list of writers DC has scared off, here's Majorie Liu, who has never even worked for the company:

Marjorie Liu: I've been silently, professionally, irritated at DC for some time now, but this with @GailSimone just sealed the deal. Now I'm disgusted.
    Last edited by Marvel_Adam; 12-09-2012 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtools View Post
    I'm sorry, I don't think I made my point clearly. I was saying that because these new writers have been doing such a good job on these C-list titles, they should be given the reins of some of the established B-listers in addition. Instead the B-list characters are all going to 90s holdovers.
    Hmm I can lose most of the 90's guys but Keep Scott Lobdell. He might need a Co-writer to clean up his dialog a few times but dammit his comic books are fun reads when they are allowed to florish by themselves. He is the reason everyone loves Red Hood and the Outlaws. If they Find someone that Can do the Same Wacky team Feel Scott does for the book then please suggest it. Also Who besides Bryan Q. Millar would you put on Teen titans? I say Give Scott the Book because the Man is work horse with talent who Got his books because he has a good Reputation.

Liu writes some fantastic female heroes. X-23 and Black Widow were brilliant, and she's doing wonders for Karma right now.

Elder Member

So in your world there's no such thing as a bad writer? Or a good writer who sometimes produces bad work?

That's not so much a "funny" idea as it is an idea that displays a complete lack of understanding of the role editors play in published fiction of any kind.
    Last edited by kalorama; 12-09-2012 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Ya, i don't know about that. Can't say im enjoying Astonishing, and X23 was ok, but her Black Widow arc was fantastic.
    I did enjoy her Black Widow, but X-23 was mediocre throughout and Her Astonishing is the worst X-Men book I've read since Austen.

Homosexual Propagandist Supernature's Avatar

Awful.

I actually did not like the New52 Batgirl but this is no way of treating a comic book legend like Gail Simone.

Way to go DC...

I think that Simone should go to Marvel and create a great selling book, because this is a horrible thing for DC to do out of the blue. It's not like the book was selling horribly.
    Day and Date: Green Lantern/Green Lantern: New Guardians/ Red Lanterns

Wait a Month: Green Lantern Corps

those god-damned goggles chipsnopotatoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel_Adam View Post
    Just to add to the list of writers DC has scared off, here's Majorie Liu, who has never even worked for the company:

Marjorie Liu: I've been silently, professionally, irritated at DC for some time now, but this with @GailSimone just sealed the deal. Now I'm disgusted.
    Oh dear. There goes my dream of seeing Liu writing Selina. Damn you DC!
    Last edited by chipsnopotatoes; 12-09-2012 at 03:00 PM.