Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast
Results 256 to 270 of 381
  1. #256
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by majormcmeat View Post
    So should her job be secure based solely on her gender?

    Men are fired and/or quit over disputes with editorial, too.
    Nope.

    But we all know Gail is really talented. I just don't really know why her Batgirl and Firestorm work was so subpar. I'm inclinced to blame editorial. That's usually the reason any book sinks. Editors can't stand letting writers write and they try to dictate the material.

    Here's a funny idea...no more editors. It's 2012, almost 2013. Why do we still need editors? We can click and edit a script in seconds and e-mail it. Self-editing a story isn't the huge time consumer that it once was.

    Let's eliminate editors! I'm totally serious. I understand the need for a senior editor, but not all these book editors running around.

  2. #257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Yeah given how male-dominated superhero readers are, I don't expect much else from the writing side. It would be nice if we could get more female writers, but I could care less if the output is subpar.
    Exactly. I'm not saying I'm opposed to diversity, because that would be idiotic. Diversity in general is a wonderful thing that the industry should have more of.
    But it is absolutely secondary to quality.

    Quote Originally Posted by DrSimonHurt View Post
    I also want to add that despite my distaste for Gail's depiction of Batgirl, I NEVER want to see people fired from their projects. I would have rather seen a tonal shift in the dialogue of the book, not Gail being fired. That's bad.
    Why would the book change under the same writer? If they want the book to be different, their best best is to replace the creators.

  3. #258
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    221B Baker Street
    Posts
    18,005

    Default

    I don't think I've liked anything she's done with the exception of Secret Six.

  4. #259
    Uncanny X-Fan Shingen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Blitzburgh
    Posts
    814

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by majormcmeat View Post
    So should her job be secure based solely on her gender?

    Men are fired and/or quit over disputes with editorial, too.

    I didn't say that. You can straw man it along if you like.
    "That's the thing about the Phoenix. There always has to be destruction... Before rebirth. " - Scott Summers

  5. #260

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrSimonHurt View Post
    Nope.

    But we all know Gail is really talented. I just don't really know why her Batgirl and Firestorm work was so subpar. I'm inclinced to blame editorial. That's usually the reason any book sinks. Editors can't stand letting writers write and they try to dictate the material.

    Here's a funny idea...no more editors. It's 2012, almost 2013. Why do we still need editors? We can click and edit a script in seconds and e-mail it. Self-editing a story isn't the huge time consumer that it once was.

    Let's eliminate editors! I'm totally serious. I understand the need for a senior editor, but not all these book editors running around.
    We most certainly do not "all" know that.
    And while I agree that editors shouldn't screw with stories like they often do, it's silly to suggest spellchecking is their entire job.

  6. #261
    Dazed and Confused Badou's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    I don't think I've liked anything she's done with the exception of Secret Six.
    At this point I think we all know this by now. xD

  7. #262
    Senior Member Cowtools's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,668

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Desean101101 View Post
    James has his Own Title Talon and I have been loving it. Team 7 has been good and Jordan has Deathstroke also. Matt Kindt is going to be writing Martian Manhunter back-ups China has the weird and creative Dial H. Gregg His doing pretty good Batman work. John Layman is doing good Batman work. Maybe we can get a new writer on Superboy but I wouldn't move Lobdell off Titans. I love the voices he has for the Little monsters.
    I'm sorry, I don't think I made my point clearly. I was saying that because these new writers have been doing such a good job on these C-list titles, they should be given the reins of some of the established B-listers in addition. Instead the B-list characters are all going to 90s holdovers.
    "Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day."

  8. #263
    Junior Member Marvel_Adam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    222

    Default

    Just to add to the list of writers DC has scared off, here's Majorie Liu, who has never even worked for the company:

    Marjorie Liu: I've been silently, professionally, irritated at DC for some time now, but this with @GailSimone just sealed the deal. Now I'm disgusted.
    Last edited by Marvel_Adam; 12-09-2012 at 02:41 PM.

  9. #264
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,351

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cowtools View Post
    I'm sorry, I don't think I made my point clearly. I was saying that because these new writers have been doing such a good job on these C-list titles, they should be given the reins of some of the established B-listers in addition. Instead the B-list characters are all going to 90s holdovers.
    Hmm I can lose most of the 90's guys but Keep Scott Lobdell. He might need a Co-writer to clean up his dialog a few times but dammit his comic books are fun reads when they are allowed to florish by themselves. He is the reason everyone loves Red Hood and the Outlaws. If they Find someone that Can do the Same Wacky team Feel Scott does for the book then please suggest it. Also Who besides Bryan Q. Millar would you put on Teen titans? I say Give Scott the Book because the Man is work horse with talent who Got his books because he has a good Reputation.

  10. #265
    Junior Member Marvel_Adam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    222

    Default

    Liu writes some fantastic female heroes. X-23 and Black Widow were brilliant, and she's doing wonders for Karma right now.

  11. #266
    Elder Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    16,963

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrSimonHurt View Post
    But we all know Gail is really talented. I just don't really know why her Batgirl and Firestorm work was so subpar. I'm inclinced to blame editorial. That's usually the reason any book sinks. Editors can't stand letting writers write and they try to dictate the material.
    So in your world there's no such thing as a bad writer? Or a good writer who sometimes produces bad work?

    Quote Originally Posted by DrSimonHurt View Post
    Here's a funny idea...no more editors. It's 2012, almost 2013. Why do we still need editors? We can click and edit a script in seconds and e-mail it. Self-editing a story isn't the huge time consumer that it once was.
    That's not so much a "funny" idea as it is an idea that displays a complete lack of understanding of the role editors play in published fiction of any kind.
    Last edited by kalorama; 12-09-2012 at 02:49 PM.

  12. #267

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Ya, i don't know about that. Can't say im enjoying Astonishing, and X23 was ok, but her Black Widow arc was fantastic.
    I did enjoy her Black Widow, but X-23 was mediocre throughout and Her Astonishing is the worst X-Men book I've read since Austen.

  13. #268
    Homosexual Propagandist Supernature's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    735

    Default

    Awful.

    I actually did not like the New52 Batgirl but this is no way of treating a comic book legend like Gail Simone.

    Way to go DC...

  14. #269
    Rising Lantern Zorkel567's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    451

    Default

    I think that Simone should go to Marvel and create a great selling book, because this is a horrible thing for DC to do out of the blue. It's not like the book was selling horribly.
    Day and Date: Green Lantern/Green Lantern: New Guardians/ Red Lanterns

    Wait a Month: Green Lantern Corps

  15. #270
    those god-damned goggles chipsnopotatoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marvel_Adam View Post
    Just to add to the list of writers DC has scared off, here's Majorie Liu, who has never even worked for the company:

    Marjorie Liu: I've been silently, professionally, irritated at DC for some time now, but this with @GailSimone just sealed the deal. Now I'm disgusted.
    Oh dear. There goes my dream of seeing Liu writing Selina. Damn you DC!
    Last edited by chipsnopotatoes; 12-09-2012 at 03:00 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •