Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by batGRRRl4ever View Post
    Well even if Ms. Simone has decided to burn her bridges with DC
    I don't think anyone is suggesting that Simone is burning her bridges with DC simply because she didn't re-up her exclusive contract. Just that she possibly wants to explore other opportunities.
    Free your soul and let it fly....

The Dominoed Daredoll batGRRRl4ever's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El Sombrero View Post
    I also hope that the next writer makes a clean break and just completely drops this PTSD stuff, and makes the book as a whole significantly brighter and lighter.
    They would make Batgirl fun again, just like Lobdell has made Superman fun again.
    I don't think DC would go the route of restarting an approach that would be guaranteed to cut profits on a title in HALF (see sales of last volume). Batgirl is a young ADULT who while always having a sense of fun sass has always been a serious character. If a bubble gum book is what you want, then I don't think you really know Barbara Gordon's character that well, IMO. The Killing Joke has forever changed the background of the character, it's left an indelible mark that is now a permanent part of Batgirl's past and in terms of how it has shaped her.

THIS is what this titles 50K in readership expects in tone even with a writer change:

Not light hearted bubble gum dreck like this:
    Last edited by batGRRRl4ever; 12-01-2012 at 10:29 AM. Reason: add
    Pull list:
    Batgirl, Inhuman, Justice League Beyond 2.0, Letter 44, She-Hulk, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Ultimate FF (lol, 5 of my 8 titles all written by SOULE)

The Alpha and The Omega Godlike13's Avatar

I think Teen Titans is an alright book, my main problem with it is that I just naturally dislike virtually all its characters (Tim Drake, Conner, Wonder Girl...not a fan of any of them in the slightest, and Skitter ain't gonna get me reading...I do like Bunker though). I really enjoy Lobdell's writing on his other titles and I saw a few Booth Batgirl images that looked gorgeous. They would make Batgirl fun again, just like Lobdell has made Superman fun again.
    I don't really have a problem with Booth, but Superman had one good issue. Lets see if Lobdell can keep it up. I could only make it 2 issues with Outlaws, and i made it to the 0 issue with Teen Titans before i just couldn't take no more of that either. And honestly, i don't drop books easily. So not seeing how they'd make Batgirl "fun" again. If Outlaws and TT is any indicator, the plot will border nonsensical, and Batgirl herself will be made unlikable. Thats not fun IMO.

I say what about Fabian Nicieza. I enjoyed his Batgirl/Catwoman story in Confidential. Hell, how about even pairing him up with To again. He was the best thing about that Huntress mini. Though he's doing the digital book so i guess he's out.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 12-01-2012 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    I don't really have a problem with Booth, but Superman had one good issue. Lets see if Lobdell can keep it up.
    He's had three, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    I could only make it 2 issues with Outlaws, and i made it to the 0 issue with Teen Titans before i just couldn't take no more of that either. So not seeing how they'd make Batgirl "fun" again. If Outlaws and TT is any indicator, the plot will border nonsensical, and Batgirl herself will be made unlikable. Thats not fun IMO.
    Weren't you the one complaining about Jason being too derivative of Dick Grayson in Outlaws? So what, you decided that from two issues then?

I don't think any of of the main characters in Lobdell's books are particularly unlikable, apart from Skitter because she was a little angsty, but she left the book ages ago. Tim's no longer a Batman-lite Mary Sue character and has been the most three-dimensional he's been in a while, Lobdell's run on Superboy made him the most interesting the character had ever been, Wonder Girl isn't the bland "Superboy's girlfriend" character she was before the reboot, Bart, Solstice & Bunker are all very entertaining, Starfire is awesome, Roy's a much more enjoyable character now he's had all that baggage stripped away from him that he was carrying before the reboot (unless impotent drug addict was cutting it for you) and Jason is a troubled yet decent-at-his-core anti-hero, who for the first time is likable after suffering through Battle for the Cowl and Winick's Batman & Robin.

Lobdell could probably do a decent job on Batgirl, but since he already has three books I guess he'd probably drop Teen Titans, and even then I think I'd prefer him to write TT over Batgirl unless it meant they got someone much better for TT.

Scott Lobdell & Brett Booth would be my pick for this book.
    Totally agree on Booth, but there are a least a handful writers better than Lobdell. He's OK, but that's it.

The Older Waiter Brave Sir Robbin's Avatar

Well, if you read my posts you know I despise this Batgirl volume, so this is what I have been waiting for. I only wish we could have avoided this awful run, but better late than never. I also hope that the next writer makes a clean break and just completely drops this PTSD stuff, and makes the book as a whole significantly brighter and lighter. Also dropping Benes would help, although his art hasn't been too bad in this volume.

As long as the goals of DC in order are 1. making money 2. having particular books sell well and make their characters more and more popular with the public 3. having the books represent artistic achievement that can lay down the future of the series for the company so that the quality continues...you won't get your wish. Simone rejected simple minded stale comic writing and the comic took off. Batgirl is an amazing success, especially when you add in the fact that she is a secondary character. She has even shot by Wonder Woman, itself a great book for breaking the mold.

While I am a Simone fan and would probably drop the book if some mediocre super hero hack shows up, I can hope. DC needs to bring in a writer from Image who does not live in the world of super hero hack writing and have someone fresh keep the standards up. When they brought in Layman to take over Detective, that was a good move. DC needs more of that and less of the current flotsam they put out there. They have a ton of characters that can take off if DC has the nerve to not give them to the same old hacks and bring in new blood. Simone's brilliant run may be over but I guess I'll need to pick up whatever book she goes to, even if it is shudder Marvel with the G Men.
    Current Favorites: The Goon, Batgirl, Chew, Alex + Ada,The Sixth Gun, Saga, Diskordia, Think Tank, Archie, Rachel Rising, Red Sonja, X, Wonder Woman, Powerpuff Girls, Ms. Marvel

The Older Waiter Brave Sir Robbin's Avatar

I don't think DC would go the route of restarting an approach that would be guaranteed to cut profits on a title in HALF (see sales of last volume). Batgirl is a young ADULT who while always having a sense of fun sass has always been a serious character. If a bubble gum book is what you want, then I don't think you really know Barbara Gordon's character that well, IMO. The Killing Joke has forever changed the background of the character, it's left an indelible mark that is now a permanent part of Batgirl's past and in terms of how it has shaped her.
    I have to laugh when I read posts that advocate DC give up incredible success and, more importantly, MONEY, to satisfy a small angry fan base. DC is part of Warner and publicly owned. I assume the editors are not encouraged to play games with lineup that reduce profits.
    Current Favorites: The Goon, Batgirl, Chew, Alex + Ada,The Sixth Gun, Saga, Diskordia, Think Tank, Archie, Rachel Rising, Red Sonja, X, Wonder Woman, Powerpuff Girls, Ms. Marvel

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
    First of all, it's just a rumor. Secondly, no, I don't think there's any book that would be killed by a simple change in creators.
    Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    If a book can't survive a single creative team change something is definitely wrong.
    I know this is the DC forum, and creators changing frequently is a common thing at the big two. But yeah, a creative change can kill a book. Or at least, kill it's quality, sales may or may not follow. Of course, it all depends on how the next team handles the task, but it's a bad thing at least as often as it's a good thing.

For me, the longer a writer stays on, the more likely we are to really see something substantial and interesting happen in that title. So, it would be bad news if Gail left so soon, much like it was for me when the Catwoman team changed. Though I'd give the next team a try, or at least the preview.
    DROKK IT!!

The Alpha and The Omega Godlike13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    He's had three, actually.
    Ya, ya. The annual, plus the last 2. He's had 3.

Weren't you the one complaining about Jason being too derivative of Dick Grayson in Outlaws? So what, you decided that from two issues then?
    Ya, pretty much. Not sure how many issues i need to read to understand that Jason is finding his way, globetrotting with a more upbeat demeanor and his team made up of Titans.

I don't think any of of the main characters in Lobdell's books are particularly unlikable, apart from Skitter because she was a little angsty, but she left the book ages ago. Tim's no longer a Batman-lite Mary Sue character and has been the most three-dimensional he's been in a while, Lobdell's run on Superboy made him the most interesting the character had ever been, Wonder Girl isn't the bland "Superboy's girlfriend" character she was before the reboot, Bart, Solstice & Bunker are all very entertaining, Starfire is awesome, Roy's a much more enjoyable character now he's had all that baggage stripped away from him that he was carrying before the reboot (unless impotent drug addict was cutting it for you) and Jason is a troubled yet decent-at-his-core anti-hero, who for the first time is likable after suffering through Battle for the Cowl and Winick's Batman & Robin.
    I disagree. He pretty much has turned me off all his main characters, which a couple i quite liked before the relaunch. Tim whoever is such a poor shadow of the original Tim Drake its just sad. Though thats not all on Lobdell, he kind of put that final nail in him for me. That 0 issue was just awful IMO. I mean no longer a Mary Sue character. LoL Ya, sure. Whatever u say. Wonder Girl is quite frankly a bitch, with this ridiculous invisible armor. Bart, is well, there's really not much to say about him. Im not even sure they no what the hell going on with him anymore. Bunker i could care less about. Solstice though i do like, she actually kind of reminds me of the old Starfire. Who im not even gonna talk about. Roy is still lame. While Jason, well, i think i stated how i feel about Jason more than enough already.

Ya, so personally Scott Lobdell would not be my first choice. Though his Superman hasn't been bad, i will give u guys that one, i can't say in general that his work has agreed with me so far. Don't really see the "fun", except for Superman.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 12-01-2012 at 10:31 AM.

That would be horrible. Can't stand Lobdell's dull dialogue.

Quote Originally Posted by Brack360 View Post
    If Gail is leaving Batgirl, I'm sure it's her own choice. The book has been doing quite well sales-wise, so I can't imagine that DC has decreed that it is in need of a new writer and a new direction to shake things up and improve sales. Maybe she's gotten fed up with the editorial control over the book.
    I agree with this.
    Jim Zimmerman
    Co-moderator, CBR Batman Forum

Quote Originally Posted by new_onslaught View Post
    As far as Swierczynski is concerned, it would make more sense if DC got fed up with him. His BoP is all over the place.
    It's all over the place because the editorial edicts DC keeps giving him for the book are all over the place.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Whatever new writer comes on has to keep that "voice" consistent in regards to defined personality...
    How so? Characters completely alter their entire personalitie all the time whenver they get a new writer.

Wonder Woman even has two seperate and non-compatible personalities going on at the same time: one for Jusice League and one for her own book.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

The Dominoed Daredoll batGRRRl4ever's Avatar

That's just not true. Superman is a positive hero who tries to be a beacon, Spider-Man fights with quips just as much as punches, Batman is always a brooding schmuck, etc. etc. There are variations of course whenever a different writer comes on, but Spider-Man isn't going to be given Batman's personality anytime soon now is he?

Gail has solidified the New 52 Barbara Gordon the Dominoed Daredoll better known as Batgirl's personality for the new universe. And any new writers have to maintain at least the basic aspects of that personality.
    Pull list:
    Batgirl, Inhuman, Justice League Beyond 2.0, Letter 44, She-Hulk, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Ultimate FF (lol, 5 of my 8 titles all written by SOULE)

Actually, it looks like Spider-Man might be getting Batman's personality...or at least a new one.