Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Masks, #1

Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Masks, #1

Other than the swanky Alex Ross art "Masks" #1 offers readers a solid story from Chris Roberson that features the Shadow, Green Hornet, Kato, and a drawing of Zorro.

Full article here.

A bit of an odd ending of the review; it sounds as if the reviewer didn't know that Ross was only doing the art for issue 1. Unless the point was to send a message to Dynamite not to switch creative teams in mid-story (which I suppose means we can anticipate a scathing review next time?).

Haha! Yeah, I was thinking the same thing when I read the end. I was like, "He'll be in for a surprise with #2, then." :)
    PULL LIST: Ghostbusters, John Carpenter's Asylum, Magnus: Robot Fighter, The Shadow, Star Wars, Thief of Thieves, Velvet, Wild Blue Yonder

Didn't they already start a thread on this book?

http://forums.comicbookresources.com...433684-Masks-1
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Didn't they already start a thread on this book?

http://forums.comicbookresources.com...433684-Masks-1
    That's the preview thread. *Shrugs*

I second this review! I was excited when this series was first announced, but as the $4 price tag weighed on me (I know its not going away, but I'm still fighting it) I got less enthusiastic. I ended up getting it on a lark (which I rarely do these days) and now I'm damn excited for the next issue. As long as the story keeps up and Calero doesn't let down, this will be one of my favorite series of the year! As an Old Time Radio fan (of Hornet, Shadow and Lama...what there is of his, at least), I've been eager to see a series like this and this issue definitely delivered.

Quote Originally Posted by eh_ver View Post
    I second this review! I was excited when this series was first announced, but as the $4 price tag weighed on me (I know its not going away, but I'm still fighting it) I got less enthusiastic. I ended up getting it on a lark (which I rarely do these days) and now I'm damn excited for the next issue. As long as the story keeps up and Calero doesn't let down, this will be one of my favorite series of the year! As an Old Time Radio fan (of Hornet, Shadow and Lama...what there is of his, at least), I've been eager to see a series like this and this issue definitely delivered.
    Me too .I just got the first issue and i had not read it yet can some says is it good .Because by the looks of it ,it will blown me away with major awesomeness
    In brightest day, in blackest night,
    No evil shall escape my sight
    Let those who worship evil's might,
    Beware my power... Green Lantern's light

Quote Originally Posted by Scurlogg_Hawkk View Post
    Me too .I just got the first issue and i had not read it yet can some says is it good .Because by the looks of it ,it will blown me away with major awesomeness
    It's definitely good. Roberson's script is really well done; the introduction of the characters is very believable and makes sense. You should like it.

I liked the Shadow taking down Kato, that made sense to me, he should be the badass of this particular group.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagreus View Post
    I liked the Shadow taking down Kato, that made sense to me, he should be the badass of this particular group.
    Not really. If you read some of his pulps and some of the Spider ones the difference is huge. Huge as in the amount of thugs killed. The Spider probably racked up 10x the body count of the Shadow and in far fewer pulps. Maybe there were pulps where the Shadow showed the kind of deadliness the Spider routinely displayed but I haven't read them.

The stories were so different for the characters. The Shadow dealt with more basic criminals, in it for the money. They could be a bit fantastic and deadly, but still fairly mundane than the types that the Spider went up against. The Spider's often dealt in torture and death because they enjoyed it. Money and power was often behind it, but they operated by spreading death and terror on a grand scale. The Shadow was a lot more apt to let criminals be captured by the police and even give those that hadn't killed a chance at reform. He rarely killed as an executioner but in efforts to defend himself or others. He wouldn't kill someone who didn't have a gun drawn and preparing to use it. The Spider would more likely do so. The important thing that's missed is the books were written so that the heroes DIDN'T kill men that were simply fleeing or beaten. It was always presented as being justifiable. Modern audiences seem to miss that and only see they killed the bad guys so are written as gunning down bad guys that aren't active threats.

Kato vs the Shadow: encapsulates a bit of the modern reinvention of both characters. The Shadow was a capable fighter with some martial arts skills. But, he was still very much human. A talented fighter could be a challenge for him and stand a chance of winning. Likewise, until Bruce Lee, Kato wasn't some mad martial arts fighter. As Green Hornet was the hero, he was the better fighter, better detective, etc. Kato was back-up. The Shadow would still beat Kato, but not because he's more Bad @$$ at martial arts but because Batman would beat Bucky and Captain America would beat Robin.
    Last edited by Ed Love; 12-03-2012 at 07:47 AM.

An interesting first issue, I liked the way the Shadow interacted with the Green Hornet and Kato but I'm not sure how I feel about the Spider.

I don't know, maybe if I wasn't a big fan of the recent Spider on going it wouldn't have bothered me, but in his book he isn't presented as a period piece hero. The setting in the Spider ongoing seems very modern where as this, like the Shadow ongoing, seems to be set in the 30's. It just feels like a disconnect to me. It shouldn't bother me, as on it's own merits it was a fun book but I was left wonder where it fit in with the other titles.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    An interesting first issue, I liked the way the Shadow interacted with the Green Hornet and Kato but I'm not sure how I feel about the Spider.

I don't know, maybe if I wasn't a big fan of the recent Spider on going it wouldn't have bothered me, but in his book he isn't presented as a period piece hero. The setting in the Spider ongoing seems very modern where as this, like the Shadow ongoing, seems to be set in the 30's. It just feels like a disconnect to me. It shouldn't bother me, as on it's own merits it was a fun book but I was left wonder where it fit in with the other titles.
    Yes, the Dynamite Spider is set in a 'modern times', but one that isn't quite like our. Seem to recall they have airships and the like. We hear mention of a recent war that Richard was in, but its not clear what it was. (the original Spider was in WWI, and that is were he met one of this assistants, Jackson).

It was competent but nothing spectacular unless you have like a huge fetish for pulp characters.

I liked it. The whole 'corrupt government thing' is hardly original, but it seems to really fit the pulp heroes in this regard.
    All cruel people describe themselves as paragons of frankness.-Tennessee Williams