Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothDZX View Post
    One c*ck ring to rule them all
    It's been done

Cyclops ad portas

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mat001 View Post
    Here's an idea, have you shown your kids LOTR? If they aren't bothered by that trilogy, then they're not going to be bothered by this trilogy.
    No, I haven't. And it's not a question of of whether or not I will take the kids to see The Hobbit next week, I already know I'm not going to. I knew as soon as I saw the trailers and learned it was rated PG-13.

BANNED

Also, can't wait to see MPAA's rating of The Hobbit XXX: An Unexpected Entry

:)

Quote Originally Posted by jediracer View Post
    No, I haven't. And it's not a question of of whether or not I will take the kids to see The Hobbit next week, I already know I'm not going to. I knew as soon as I saw the trailers and learned it was rated PG-13.
    so to sum up

you're irritated that Peter Jackson did not consider the children when adapting The Hobbit, choosing to just try and make the best story possible and honestly the MPAA is the one that gave it a PG-13, you should actually be upset with them for messing up your plans to share your childhood happiness
    Support your local roller derby league

normally jediracer and I agree with most things

we differ here, such is life
    Support your local roller derby league

Well, it's not inaccessible to children, just potentially scary and maybe even incredibly boring to them.

It was made as a children's book back in the day but has anyone in the "book ratings board" ,or whatever it is, reread it this decade and gave it a rating? Cause im pretty sure that rating for the book would change to "teens" book. There are endless examples in schools were books that have been read for long time get taken off.

Hell, with movies is the same thing. All the original Planet of the Apes movies are rated G or PG and those will sure as hell get a PG-13 rating today.

^Speaking of that, I remember seeing the original Clash of the Titans (PG-rated) as a kid and being floored by the tits.

Remember The Andromeda Strain? There were tits in that. Granted, they were the tits of a "dead" chick, but she was a cute dead chick.

As j_c said, it's not inaccessible to children. And since you're on the internet, posting an imaginary argument between yourself and The Internet, with the name jediracer in 2012, you ought to know PG-13 doesn't mean "no kids EVER" in any way.

Heck, Grimm's fairytales are "celebrated works of children's literature," by deign of filing intents of publishers, but if you adapted them straight, you'd get an R rating. Even the last go at a feature film Peter Pan upset the ratings board and some parents, due to hints of attraction between the young Peter and young Wendy when we all know it's completely absurd for children in early double digits to have crushes or blush unreasonably after looking at another kid too long. The director was just a pervert trying to steal childhood classics from children!

Quote Originally Posted by jesse_custer View Post
    Well, it's not inaccessible to children, just potentially scary and maybe even incredibly boring to them.
    There are plenty of PG movies that if you ask me aren't exactly meant for kids either.

If you want to traumatize a kid have him watch the scene from Roger Rabbit where Judge Doom slowly murders a cartoon shoe, or have him watch the face-melting scene from Raiders of the Last Ark, or just watch Poltergeist. Those are all rated PG.

PG != For kids
    PG-13 != Dark and not for kids
    Eh, Comics is a pretty cool guy...

We're at a point where a lot of early G and PG would be PG-13 or R now, and many X/NC-17 would be R and R, PG-13 at this point, as nudity and sex becomes more taboo and violence becomes increasingly middle-ground, Heck, they can list on a PG-13 now that the music is scary. The music. So, yeah, it's a decent guide still, but it behooves parents to pay attention, themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothDZX View Post
    There are plenty of PG movies that if you ask me aren't exactly meant for kids either.

If you want to traumatize a kid have him watch the scene from Roger Rabbit where Judge Doom slowly murders a cartoon shoe, or have him watch the face-melting scene from Raiders of the Last Ark, or just watch Poltergeist. Those are all rated PG.

PG != For kids
    PG-13 != Dark and not for kids
    It was movies like Raiders and Poltergeist that brought about the PG-13 rating, coincidentally. The Temple of Doom was the straw that broke the camel's back.

BANNED

[

My fingers are most certainly not in my ears. Quite frankly, I'm not sure I've heard any "legitimate arguments." I've heard a lot about how the MPAA has some elaborate conspiracy to rule the galaxy, and a lot of 'who give a shit, the kids will be okay,' and 'it needs to match the other movies,' but there seems to be few argument about how maybe this is the best way to most faithfully adapt the source material. And those few are laden with snide and snarky remarks. It's all irrelevant anyway, like I said, I'm still going to see the movie in the theater.

Quote Originally Posted by jediracer View Post
    My fingers are most certainly not in my ears. Quite frankly, I'm not sure I've heard any "legitimate arguments." I've heard a lot about how the MPAA has some elaborate conspiracy to rule the galaxy, and a lot of 'who give a shit, the kids will be okay,' and 'it needs to match the other movies,' but there seems to be few argument about how maybe this is the best way to most faithfully adapt the source material. And those few are laden with snide and snarky remarks. It's all irrelevant anyway, like I said, I'm still going to see the movie in the theater.
    There have been legitimate arguments, you're just selectively ignoring them. For example, Hobbit was filmed in a way that would keep it consistent with the feel of the Lord of the Rings movies, or perhaps The Hobbit isn't as "childrens literature" as you think it is.
    Eh, Comics is a pretty cool guy...