Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jediracer View Post
    Yeah, not too keen on relying on Entertainment Weekly as a replacement for the MPAA.
    or the numerous other outlets that carry movie reviews?? are they all out to damage the children??

the MPAA is a politcal organization, not one committed to making viewing "safer" for anyone

did you know they have members of the clergy on ther appeals board?? how is that appropriate?
    Support your local roller derby league

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    did you know they have members of the clergy on ther appeals board?? how is that appropriate?
    How is that inappropriate?

I'm not a fan of the MPAA or how they're run, but how is that inappropriate? 'Cause I know some clergymen and women of various denominations, who've got great taste in movies. Pope John Paul II had a great Top Ten before he died, that included The Leopard, 8 1/2, and 2001: a Space Odyssey.

BANNED

or the numerous other outlets that carry movie reviews?? are they all out to damage the children??

the MPAA is a politcal organization, not one committed to making viewing "safer" for anyone

No, news media outlets are not "out to damage the children."

No more than the MPAA is out to destroy your constitutional rights.

Pretty ridiculous how this discussion has devolved into "MPAA = Illuminati"

Quote Originally Posted by T Hedge Coke View Post
    How is that inappropriate?

I'm not a fan of the MPAA or how they're run, but how is that inappropriate? 'Cause I know some clergymen and women of various denominations, who've got great taste in movies. Pope John Paul II had a great Top Ten before he died, that included The Leopard, 8 1/2, and 2001: a Space Odyssey.
    the MPAA is supposed to be impartial...you can't do that with organized religion sitting in the room

The MPAA is supposed to be impartial according to what movie is being reviewed; that doesn't mean the organization shouldn't have people who are considered moral experts on its board.

BANNED

the MPAA is supposed to be impartial...you can't do that with organized religion sitting in the room
    Oh yea, I forgot, organized religion is the root of all evil. I'm sure it's their fault The Hobbit got rated PG-13. Probably due to Gandalf's "witchcraft" or something. I'm sure it had nothing at all to do with the monsters and violence that would give nightmares to a 5 year old.

You act like they would give a "harsher" rating to a Woody Allen movie because he is Jewish or something.

Do you wear the tinfoil hate everywhere you go, or just at home?

Quote Originally Posted by jesse_custer View Post
    The MPAA is supposed to be impartial according to what movie is being reviewed; that doesn't mean the organization shouldn't have people who are considered moral experts on its board.
    but they are not "moral experts", the clergy is there to IMPOSE its morals on everyone else

and I would be willing to be most of Hollywood sees the MPAA as an unnecessary evil at this point

Please watch "This Film Is Not Yet Rated"

Oh yea, I forgot, organized religion is the root of all evil. I'm sure it's their fault The Hobbit got rated PG-13. Probably due to Gandalf's "witchcraft" or something. I'm sure it had nothing at all to do with the monsters and violence that would give nightmares to a 5 year old.

You act like they would give a "harsher" rating to a Woody Allen movie because he is Jewish or something.

You're extrapolating way too much out of that and jumping to assumptions. He never said or implied that religion was evil, he just implied that a religious point of few potentially conflicts with an impartial view.

They seem to just be saying that the MPAA is supposed to be impartial and the people they have on their board seen to potentially compromise that impartiality. There's no tinfoil hat conspiracy theory stuff in that train of thought.
    Eh, Comics is a pretty cool guy...

they are harsher on sex then on violence....and that has been proven with numerous films like "The Cooler" and "But I'm a Cheerleader"

I'll admit, I had to google 4th and 8th constitutional amendments...illegal search and seizue, and cruel and unusual punishment? Please enlighten me on the MPAA's interest in these amendments.
    Watch the movie I recommended, you'll see what they do. And it's fines not so much with the cruel and unusual punishment.

2007 Mutant League Champion

The availability of internet marketing and media should almost make it impossible for you to NOT know what a movie might have before you go see it. Any movie with any sort of buzz is going to have sites talking about it, showing trailers, showing Red-band trailers, etc. Hell, if a movie even HAS a red band trailer it may be one to reconsider your kids watching. I can pretty easily tell what I do and don't want my kids to see without the MPAA and their "guidelines."
    "There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and some day, they will. And that's how Sue Cs it."- Sue Sylvester, "Glee"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothDZX View Post
    You're extrapolating way too much out of that and jumping to assumptions. He never said or implied that religion was evil, he just implied that a religious point of few potentially conflicts with an impartial view.

They seem to just be saying that the MPAA is supposed to be impartial and the people they have on their board seen to potentially compromise that impartiality. There's no tinfoil hat conspiracy theory stuff in that train of thought.
    Impartial to what, exactly? How does one's religious beliefs compromise that? If there were two board members, and one was a Christian while the other was Jewish, do you suppose they would each give the same move a different rating, based on their own religious views?

In case you're wondering, the answer is "no." They would both say "Oh snap, those creepy monsters and those couple of frightening scenes in there would scare the shit out of a 5 year old, and probably give him/her nightmares for a month! Let's rate this one PG-13, rather than PG."

Those evil bastards!

IMDB alone has a parental guide that describes in detail every scene that may be in question with categories like Sex & Nudity, Violence & Gore, Profanity, Alcohol/Drugs/Smoking, and Frightening/Intense Scenes.

There are plenty of other sites that do this as well. It's a total non issue. The MPAA ratings are not necessary at all.

BANNED

All this shit is completely irrelevant.

Bottom line, I'll probably end up waiting 4 or 5 years before i watch the movie with my kid. Not because the MPAA says so, but because Peter Jackson made the movie the way he did. That's where my disappointment stems from.

It is true that there are sites out there that explore the potentially objectionable content of films. However, it is not true that everyone should have to visit these sites. Furthermore, older people who don't care for computers might want to take their grandchildren to a movie, and the MPAA as a general guide is helpful to them in that respect.

If the MPAA dissolves, fine. Everyone will have to make due. But until then, the MPAA ratings are a good practical guide for parents - and everyone, really.

All this talk about sex and violence is pointless. The MPAA doesn't mandate what is acceptable in this regard; people ALREADY believe in violence in this country. Look at our goddamned history and argue with that. The MPAA is simply a reflection of historical values. Getting rid of the organization isn't going to make everyone believe in titties everywhere.

but they are not "moral experts", the clergy is there to IMPOSE its morals on everyone else
    I have to say, I have never found an MPAA rating to impose anything on me.