Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Just Bought a PS3 (Game Advice Please)

Some background on my gaming: I've had a 360 for several years now. I still love it. This isn't a conversion, just an addition. I also have had a gaming worthy PC for about a year. Also I have had PS, Nintendo, and Sega (Dreamcast, I hardly knew ya) consoles in the past.

So... obviously I'm looking for exclusives. Heavy Rain was just purchased. (I'm waiting on my PS3 (and this game) to ship so haven't played yet)

The games I plan to buy once I have time to play them:
    -the Uncharted series
    -God of War collection
    -Journey

The games that I'm interested in/hear good things about, but not certain about:
    -Infamous collection (seems like a constant action game without much depth)
    -Metal Gear Solid collection (never played one. will they feel dated?)
    -Jak and Daxter collection (never played one. not sure if I'll like them. don't know what the gameplay is like)
    -Ratchet and Clank collection (see Jak and Daxter)
    -Sly collection (see Jak and Daxter)
    -Ico and Shadow of Colossus collection (see Jak and Daxter and MGS)

Any advice on these games or other PS only games would be greatly appreciated.
    Spider-Man from the beginning! Last ish: ASM #15 - Chameleon hires Kraven (first appearance!) to kill Spidey.

Spider-Prime's only fan. spider-prime's Avatar

You've never played a Metal Gear game ever! klajdflkajdflkajdfl Play those now! But, download from the PSN, the PSone of the first game, cause you won't know the story without it.
    They will only feel dated if you play from Metal Gear Solid 4 back to the first one again, cause they play completely different, but the graphics look great in HD.

You will like sly and jak and daxter and ratchet and clank if you like Mario 64 type 3d platform games. I personally loved the newer PS3 games of Ratchet and Clank, they are beyond good. Nefarious is one of the best villains in a video game.

Ico sort of feels like a tomb raider type game but you holding hands dragging a girl everywhere, but Shadow of the Colossus is epic, so yah, I would get those games :) Fighting those massive bosses is great.

But, if you haven't tried Demon's Souls, get that also, one of the best RPGs out, I love it's online mode with it's random while you're playing single duels, where the invader will hunt you down to kill you, but if he loses, he losses levels and if you win, you gain his level! I got into so many deadly fights in that game, I killed one guy by kicking him off the ledge of the map lolol. Valkyria Chronicles is a great mix of a strategy RPG, one of my favorite games on the system, the 2nd game on the PSP is my favorite.

I have over 300 games on the PS3, just ask and I can tell you if it's any good or not.

I would also look at getting PS Plus over the PSN, 49.99 a year and you will get 10 free games instantly to play with your subscription, full games, and they update it with 3 new games every month. I haven't bought that many new games cause of it. :)

Thanks for the input. I'm looking forward to a lot of these games.

Edit: Also thanks for mentioning the first MGS. I thought that was part of the collection.
    Last edited by adam.walters; 11-30-2012 at 12:38 PM.
    Spider-Man from the beginning! Last ish: ASM #15 - Chameleon hires Kraven (first appearance!) to kill Spidey.

Buy, and get MGs 4 to finish it out, obviously.

-Ratchet and Clank collection (see Jak and Daxter)
    -Ico and Shadow of Colossus collection (see Jak and Daxter and MGS)
    Buy.
    ...Thats all the advice i have, don't know what kinds of games you like so can't help further.

I think MGS is a definite. It seems similar to Splinter Cell and I love those games.

When it comes to pure spectacle, amazing action, beautiful graphics, and cool story, there really isn't much better than the God of War games. God of War was a revelation when I first played it. God of War 2 remains the only game that I have ever bought on the day of release in my 20+ years of gaming. God of War 3 is a really great game, but you realize that if GoW 1 & 2 had the same HD graphics, GoW 3 would definitely be the third best.

So definitely ge the GoW collection as well as GoW3.

MGS3:Snake Eater is my favourite game of all time. It's basically perfect. It was the one game that I found to be the best balance between gaming coolness and creativity, as well as amazing movie. The only (very small) complaint I have about MGS3 is that it didn't have the over-the-shoulder move & aim capabilities that MGS4 has.

I liked Uncharted 1 & 2 and I would definitely recommend them.
    Olivier Coipel - The best damned artist on the planet!

Shout out to Kev Walker! You're doing a hell of a job!

Find & follow me on Twitter & Instagram. Check out arfguy

Uncharted series
    God of War Series
    Killzone 2 & 3
    Sly Cooper Series
    Infamous 1&2

Spider-Prime's only fan. spider-prime's Avatar

also, if you want a disc version of Metal Gear solid 1, you can find one in the old PS2 collection if you want it, the PS3 will still play all of the old PS1 games.

Only good thing about getting the PSN version is that it will probably be easier and cheaper and you can play them on the PSP/Vita.

Quote Originally Posted by adam.walters View Post
    I think MGS is a definite. It seems similar to Splinter Cell and I love those games.
    The MGS games aren't really anything like the Splinter Cell games, they're both stealth, but they don't feel anything alike.

The Infamous series is one of the best superhero game series out there. It's a sandbox game with an actual story (much like The Warriors). The only real flaw is that there isn't much difference in the story for choosing good or evil. However, the change in gameplay (good and evil have different abilities) makes up for this flaw. Also, it's pretty great to shoot red lightning as an anti-hero.

Honestly, the only series better than Infamous series is the Batman Arkham series.

I love the Sly Cooper games. They are very fun platformer games and there is a story that takes place over the series. What I like is that Sly and his gand actually keep their abilities from the games before. There is no reset/you have to relearn your abilities annoyance that happens with the sequels of many series. Plus Sly is just plain a cool cat (oops, I mean raccoon). If you like platformer games and the Ocean's 11 movies, you'll enjoy the hell out of this series.

So... obviously I'm looking for exclusives. Heavy Rain was just purchased. (I'm waiting on my PS3 (and this game) to ship so haven't played yet)
    Not my kind of game, I hope you enjoy it
    The games I plan to buy once I have time to play them:
    -the Uncharted series

Uncharted has great platforming and action, you can enjoy it if you played and liked Tomb Raider Legends
    MGS 1-3 have outdated graphics, and you might think the overhead view for MGS1 outdated, but the action and controls age well with constant excellence
    inFAMOUS has slight similarity to Uncharted when it comes to gameplay, at least in climbing walls using bricks to hold
    Blogger

I am obsessed with the idea of completely erasing Spider-Man from every Marvel continuity

I highly recommend getting the Batman Arkham games. Not only are they the best ever Batman games but also some of if not the greatest comic book based games of all time.
    From now on we're poison to you Spider-Man. That's why we call ourselves... VENOM!!!

Journey. I don't generally care for... Humans, I guess, but the way they handled multiplayer in Journey actually had me sending a thank you message to someone who silently led me through the game on my second playthrough (as well as debate sending a death threat to someone I ended up teaming up with on my first playthrough, but that's a normal reaction for me).
    Fox Mr. Sinister (holding Rogue's chin): "So beautiful, yet so strong."

Fox Wolverine: "Well, I always did think I was kinda cute. Nice of you to mention it."

Official Board Ostrichizer

Thanks for the advice everyone. I should be good to go.

Playstation Plus is great for all the free games you get for like 50 bucks a year. Just recently they had RE5 (not their greatest but still good), Infamous 2, Little Big Planet 2, BioShock 2, Jak 4, some cool PSN games like Dungeon defenders and outland, etc. It quickly pays for itself.

Anyway I back a lot of the games on here like Uncharted, etc. but I'd also add the DMC Hd collection, PS All stars has been fun (but you may wanna wait for a price) some others