Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default POLL: Who Was Brian Michael Bendis' Best "New" Avenger?

Which Avenger was Brian Michael Bendis' best addition to the ranks of Earth's Mightiest Heroes over the course of the writer's eight-year run?

Full article here.

Although I make jokes about it, I think Luke Cage was the best addition. He took a character I cared nothing about and rarely even thought of and made me a fan.
    "Cyclops was RIGHT!!

It's really a toss up between Luke Cage and Spider-Woman, neither was a character that I really knew a whole lot about going into New Avengers back in the day but I like them both quite a bit now.

Characterization wise, I thought he had the best grip on Spider-Man and Luke Cage myself. Others... not so much, though to be fair he did at least bring a lot of faces into the spotlight during his tenure.
    All cruel people describe themselves as paragons of frankness.-Tennessee Williams

I went with Spider Woman, even though I don't think he managed to use her well. IMHO, it was something that should have been done a long time ago. I do think it's unfair to credit him with Spider-Man and the Thing. Both were Avengers before Bendis, even though nobody used them as much as he did. No mention of Storm? They made such a big deal about it, now nobody remembers it.

Peace

MXAAGVNIEETRO were right The Black Guardian's Avatar

Luke Cage! Hands down. I liked his take on Spidey and Wolverine, but not really any of the others, most of whom I think were made much much worse under his pen (Spider-Woman, Hawkeye, Strange, etc.).
    COEXIST | NOEXIST

ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelCipher
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

For me it's a tie between Luke Cage and the Jessica Drew Spider Woman.

I always thought that they should have been Avengers and Bendis finally got around to doing it.

But if your Marvel the answer must be Wolverine and Spider Man.

Not being biased because he's my favorite character, but after Cage I think that Wolverine had the most impact out of the New Avengers brought on during Bendis' run. Some might say that Spider Woman had the most impact, but the real Spider Woman didn't join until after the invasion was over. If you look back at version 2 of the team when they were on the run because of the SHRA, Wolverine was the one making all of the plans. He was the one that brought the team up to speed on the Hood and tracked the new Masters of Evil down. He was also the one that told the team that they needed to go and save Echo. And Wolverine also had some good Avenger moments against Agamotto, Ragnarok, and Count Nefaria.
    Faves: Wolverine: Weapon X, the Avengers, X-Force, etc
    My Free Weekly eZine: http://tinyurl.com/ybcnhxe
    My Clothing Line: www.culturesclothing.com
    http://twitter.com/culturesclothes

Cage is probably the best bet, but he's sort of a pet character, so it's to be expected. No slight, everyone has them.

I think Spider-Man was the best addition, simply because "it's about damn time". He's earned his place among Earth's Mightiest Heroes.
    "Curse you, Occam's Razor! You have betrayed me!"

Reviewing is a lot like paleontology: the evidence is there, but no one seems to agree on it.

As much as I wanna say Spider-Man, I think objectively it's hard not to say Luke Cage.

Bendis took that character and ran with him like there was no tommorow. That last splash page with Cage looking back at the end of NA pretty much says it all.

Cage. Don't get me wrong, he worked marvels with Spider-woman and Ms Marvel but he completely transformed Cage.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar

Luke Cage....
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

Immortal Weapon Prince Of Orphans's Avatar

He actually got people talking about Cage, which is an accomplishment in itself. His appeal got old fast for me, but I still feel Bendis put his best efforts into that character. If only he did the same with others.

I did love the inclusions of Iron Fist, Bucky Barnes and Dr. Strange, but he either largely ignored those characters or wrote them piss poorly. Missed opportunity with those ones imo.
    Follow @MarvelWOWFacts on Twitter!

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Of Orphans View Post
    He actually got people talking about Cage, which is an accomplishment in itself. His appeal got old fast for me, but I still feel Bendis put his best efforts into that character. If only he did the same with others.

I did love the inclusions of Iron Fist, Bucky Barnes and Dr. Strange, but he either largely ignored those characters or wrote them piss poorly. Missed opportunity with those ones imo.
    Besides Bucky those two were great too.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

So many of Bendis's Avengers were effectively just background for a lot of the time. Since SI, Spider-Woman's barely been seen. Spider-Man and Wolverine have only been used in fight scenes or for jokes. Why is Daredevil even there? What was the point of Storm? The cast was too big and Bendis focused on the same few characters over and over for eight years.