Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default "Amazon" Begins Search For Iris, The CW's New Wonder Woman

The CW's planned Wonder Woman series is moving forward with the launch of a search for an actress in her early to mid-20s to play the iconic DC Comics superheroine in "Amazon," here named Iris rather than Diana.

Full article here.

The geek in me is very annoyed by the apparently arbitrary name change from "Diana" to "Iris."
    Please pardon any aggressive auto-correct feature typos.

I hate to jump on this before even seeing it but my personal feeling is if you cannot do a show with Diana as Wonder Woman then you probably should not do it at all.
    "Cyclops was RIGHT!!

Why in the world do they feel the need to change her name, seriously what's wrong with these people?

Seriously. That's like changing Clark Kent to Zach Kent, or Bruce Wayne to Eddie Wayne. Diana is her name.

Mind-boggling.

Better question - Why is Wonder Woman getting a TV series and not a movie?
    Eh, Comics is a pretty cool guy...

The Dominoed Daredoll batGRRRl4ever's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Phoenix View Post
    I hate to jump on this before even seeing it but my personal feeling is if you cannot do a show with Diana as Wonder Woman then you probably should not do it at all.
    All it says to me is that DC is so ashamed of this character that they are only willing to let it see the light of day if they strip her of her super hero costume, her super hero name, and now even her actual personal name. This is now as already dead in the water as that last ridiculous attempt last year, as WW fans will boycott this for sure now.
    Pull list:
    Batgirl, Inhuman, Justice League Beyond 2.0, Letter 44, She-Hulk, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Ultimate FF (lol, 5 of my 8 titles all written by SOULE)

Good heavens, what a travesty.

I don't think they're renaming Diana. I'd imagine it's the name they've used in the casting call rather than shouting from the rooftops they're doing it.

Elder Member

I wouldn't get too worked up over the "Iris" thing. The character description apparently comes straight from a casting breakdown, which is part of what they send to agents when they're looking for actresses. They may have intentionally given her a fake name in it to avoid tipping their hand about the real nature of the show to avoid early leaks. Also, by giving a more general description of the character, they increase their odds of actresses coming in prepared to play a type of person and decrease the odds of them trying to do a stereotypical (or wrong) take on what they think an Amazon is. (It also decreases the chances of actresses showing up for casting calls/auditions in WW costumes.)

Quote Originally Posted by idlewildered View Post
    I don't think they're renaming Diana. I'd imagine it's the name they've used in the casting call rather than shouting from the rooftops they're doing it.
    I hope you're right. But I cannot help but wonder if the people auditioning know that the show is called "Amazon" and that the person comes from a secluded island and will be a superhero and is from Warner Bros./DC comics.

Because if so, just name the damned charactered "Diana."
    Please pardon any aggressive auto-correct feature typos.

Wow, even when she does have a connection to the title line, Wonder Woman still gets shafted.

Seriously, how hard is it to do a Wonder Woman TV media and/or animated show ?

Truly, this is our darkest hour.
    "There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and some day, they will. And that's how Sue Cs it."- Sue Sylvester, "Glee"

Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I hope you're right. But I cannot help but wonder if the people auditioning know that the show is called "Amazon" and that the person comes from a secluded island and will be a superhero and is from Warner Bros./DC comics.

Because if so, just name the damned charactered "Diana."
    If I'm wrong I'll eat my own head.

Elder Member

Christ on a stick people, relax. The show hasn't even been written or cast yet, let alone made, making it a bit early to unilaterally declare it a failure.

Aside from the name change (which is most likely just a placeholder) the actual description of the character pretty closely parallels the version in the JL/JLU animated series, which is exactly what most people who claim to want a WW show/movie have been saying they wanted for years.

This Sisyphusian attempt at reason is now concluded. Please feel free return to you knee-jerk panic and condemnation.