Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Veteran Member The Beast Of Yucca Flats's Avatar

And to answer the OP: I tend to think Ennis helped Morrison (maybe Waid) ruin Superman for me from most other writers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by melkorjunior View Post
    I don't think Ennis, of all people, comes off holier-than-thou. He just frankly thinks superheroes are pretty silly. He didn't grow up on superhero comics so he has no nostalgia for them.
    Yeah he's been pretty open and fair about it.

http://geek-news.mtv.com/2011/04/20/...ional-comicon/

It was more that I had almost no experience with superheroes at all. I grew up reading British comics where the superhero genre never really took off. It sort of appeared in the 50s and 60s then kind of staggered to a halt. The comics I read as a kid were much more influenced by TV and movies. Encountering superheroes as an adult without that kind of childhood sentimentality, it just doesn’t allow you, or in my case at least, it wouldn’t let me take the characters seriously. I also had to deal with the frustration of working in an industry where superheroes make up 95% of the books. So, I’m bound to have a slightly skewed impression of them.
    I mean that's pretty fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman4 View Post
    im personally a fan of the superhero genre. im posting on a superhero message board as proof. Mr. Ennis has stated that he doesnt like "superheroes" and has made light of the genre in a number of his works. so i disagree with his view. while ive enjoyed a lot of his books, his pseudo-punk sneer towards superheroes is just tiresome. without superheroes there would be no comic industry.
    This is a superhero message board?!? No one ever told me...
    Army of Crime

Image: Fatale, Saga
    Dark Horse: Mind Mgmt
    Marvel: Daredevil, Hawkeye, Thor: God of Thunder

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast Of Yucca Flats View Post
    And to answer the OP: I tend to think Ennis helped Morrison (maybe Waid) ruin Superman for me from most other writers.
    I would agree, but I honestly never really liked the previous Superman depictions until JLA and later Birthright and All Star.

I thought you were crazy until I got to the last 4 words.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Really, Ennis' Superman, Spider-Man, and Daredevil are probably more stand up heroic guys than many of their portrayals. He used Kyle Rayner as the butt of some jokes in Hitman, but everyone was the butt of jokes in Hitman; he was still a decent guy.

He took down Wolverine as a walking bag of violent cliches, but Wolverine is kinda a walking bag of violent cliches much of the time and it wasn't his book, so even when he's trying to be the voice of reason, Frank's going to demolish him in his own title. The reaction story, by Frank Tieri, that was disrespectful and, perhaps worse, it was inane to see Wolverine cripple the Punisher by making fun of his muscle men magazines.

The point of Punisher vs The Marvel Universe was to exaggerate bad qualities in superheroes and supervillains so the Punisher could, insensibly, go kill them all and Captain America still came off respectable and intelligent and a decent guy who Frank killed anyway, 'cause Frank has issues.

So for a guy who's not that into superheroes, his limited work with established superheroes tends, in my opinion, to present them in a better light than many "traditional" superhero writers have.

I really liked it, some readers assume that someone like Ennis would prefer darker superheroes over Superman but no, it turns out he's not really into traditional superheros but Superman is the exception. At least that's the vibe I get
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    I kind of want to see what this industry would have been like.
    Well, I think EC was overall the best comics company of all time, and they didn't do superheroes. A lot of books in the mid-to late 40's and pre-code 50's were other genres. I don't see comics ever becoming such a huge business without superheroes and without Superman, however. We're basically all here because of Jerry and Joe. There was comics before them, but them and their great creation made this art form what it is today.
    Doomed Planet. Desperate Scientists. Last Hope. Kindly Couple.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
    I don't see comics ever becoming such a huge business without superheroes and without Superman, however.
    How do other countries/nations manage so well, then? Comics do better in many places than America and they do it with little to no superheroes.

Veteran Member The Beast Of Yucca Flats's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    I really liked it, some readers assume that someone like Ennis would prefer darker superheroes over Superman but no, it turns out he's not really into traditional superheros but Superman is the exception. At least that's the vibe I get
    I recall hearing-- not ever having read the actual article/interview-- that at the time he did an arc of Spider-Man's Tangled Web called "The Thousand" (also with McCrea) he apparently also mentioned something of an affinity for Spider-Man, as well. The reasoning there being that Peter Parker, despite it all, is still a decent young guy who still manages to do right by others and still at least tries to see the glass as half-full.
    Last edited by The Beast Of Yucca Flats; 12-01-2012 at 10:03 AM.

I recall hearing-- not ever having read the actual article/interview-- that at the time he did an arc of Spider-Man's Tangled Web called "The Thousand" (also with McCrea) he apparently also mentioned something of an affinity for Spider-Man, as well. The reasoning there being that Peter Parker, despite it all, is still a decent young guy who still manages to do right by others and still at least tries to see the glass as half-full.
    That's kind of cool, then again Superman and Spider-Man are my 2 favorite superheroes so I'm pretty biased.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Daredevil came across as a very interesting legit character in his Punisher appearances.
    Army of Crime

Image: Fatale, Saga
    Dark Horse: Mind Mgmt
    Marvel: Daredevil, Hawkeye, Thor: God of Thunder

Quote Originally Posted by T Hedge Coke View Post
    How do other countries/nations manage so well, then? Comics do better in many places than America and they do it with little to no superheroes.
    I meant historically-that the comics business would have never gotten so big without superheroes and Superman in particular.
    Doomed Planet. Desperate Scientists. Last Hope. Kindly Couple.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdog View Post
    Daredevil came across as a very interesting legit character in his Punisher appearances.
    Really? I thought he came off as an ineffectual douchebag in Ennis' Punisher run.

Yeah, he likes Spider-Man because life always craps all over him, but he just sacks up and does the best he can. Unlike, say, Bruce Wayne, Peter Parker has a life that most people can relate to.