Default This might be a really dumb question...(spoilers for recent Hellboy and BPRD books)

Have the BPRD books acknowledged Hellboy's death yet? Do Liz, Abe or the rest of the crew have any idea what's going on with HB?

I only think its a dumb question because I feel like I should know the answer to something as major as this. I'm fairly certain I've read every BPRD book that's available but I could be wrong. you'd think I'd remember if Liz and Abe broke down in tears when they heard the news.

If not, when do you guys think it will be addressed?

I could be wrong, but I think at least Kate is aware.

Yes, Kate knows. Alice herself told her.

Beyond that, I think Abe was unconscious from being shot by Fenix after the "Gods and Monsters" arc. The events of The Storm I think run parallel with the ones in B.P.R.D. Russia where Kate receives the call that Abe is brain dead and then heads to England where she learns of Hellboy's death.

Liz is another matter entirely. We haven't seen Liz since "Monsters", it's anyone's guess whether she knows or not, since I do not recall any hint that Hellboy's death is common knowledge or mentioned in the media. If Liz knows, she knows from the media; there is no hint that there is any contact between her and the B.P.R.D.

Now, the rest of the team (Panya, Johan, Manning and Devon) must know only through the media or Kate. However, there is no hint that Kate has revealed this information.

Thanks guys! Do you know what issue it was where Alice tells Kate?

Yeah, it's... Oh, bugger, I forgot the name - The Unmarked Grave, maybe?. But it was in Dark Horse Presents and has since been collected in B.P.R.D.: Hell on Earth - Russia, according to Duncan Fegredo.

THAT explains why I missed it. haha. Thanks again!

Team,
    One more dump question. Just now I am about to finish BPRD HC, vol 2. I really started hating the story very much after the death of Roger . Just want to know how good is BPRD vol3 and vol4. If not good, I am planning to skip reading them.

Plague of Frogs volumes 3 and 4 are the very best B.P.R.D. has to offer. If you read them and it's still not doing anything for you, then it probably means B.P.R.D. is not your thing.
    Last edited by Middenway; 12-02-2012 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SureshBabu View Post
    Team,
    One more dump question. Just now I am about to finish BPRD HC, vol 2. I really started hating the story very much after the death of Roger . Just want to know how good is BPRD vol3 and vol4. If not good, I am planning to skip reading them.
    Aww Roger... I could and can like him very much for being story matter. Since he was a homunculus, a magically man-made contraption, but with still being himself and as such he got befriended rather immediately.

Roger seems kind of like Wall-E, but with a difference, as how it becomes apparent at the end of Wall-E, when he receives a new chip and all the personality and quirks to Wall-E seem lost. Which reveals a motto or motif to the movie, that realistically robots and computers aren't alive, they can't be to have any real personality, since they'll only consist of perfect functions, or faulty ones, but they logically cannot gain personality or any kind of soul.

Whereas the movie still aims to be about personality and soul and about being alive, which the moviemakers project onto robots and computer systems. And thus is Wall-E to magically retain his own quirky self before the movie ends, like for a 'happy ending'.

Roger is a man-made contraption, not through programming and chippy hardware, but through darkly forbidden magic. He might as a homunculus be capable of living, although even he himself could be to know that his living would be different from actual living, since his living should not be.
    Like he'd be spawned or animated through dark and evil arts (which may not seem to get totally articulated within the stories but technically the word *homunculus* dictates such, since that is what it means). Although as said he is really pleasant and nice and loyal, so he befriends the BPRD-agents.

Which makes it all the more logical and beautiful story-wise, that as soon as Roger becomes aware of how he cares for his friends, whose lives may come to be in danger in the field, that he would feel forced to sacrifice himself for the sake of keeping them safe.

Now how could that be bad or unsatisfactory storytelling? Would you rather want that likable or important characters would never be to get hurt or be to never die potentially?
    Wouldn't that be silly a little?
    Although, in Hellboy's world all kinds of entities, like monsters or demons or dead beings seem to be keeping around and about should the stories call for it. So maybe the incorporation of death and change or affection wouldn't have to be bad no matter how you look at it?

Happy reading!
    Last edited by Kees_L; 12-02-2012 at 06:32 AM. Reason: wordings and space.
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~
    (full) lyrics to 'Exhume' by Bedhead.

Quote Originally Posted by SureshBabu View Post
    Team,
    Roger is definitely a fan favorite, and it is perfectly okay to "hate the story" after his death - that means the story has that much more impact on you as a reader. I would recommend reading all the BPRD stuff, but I know that my feelings about certain characters have changed as they themselves changed over their story arcs. That's some good character development.

BANNED

Roger's death was a real bummer, and things do change after that, and change further as the book continues on, but that's so much of what makes Hellboy and The BPRD great!

Things change, and they stay that way until things change again.

Hate the lack of Roger, don't hate the story ;)

Team,
    Thanks for your comments.
    Roger's death as do affected me a lot. I like that character very much. The way he moves as the first person in the war field. in BPRD 2nd vol he is my only entertainment, since Sapian has left field operations, just keep worrying about his dead wife, Liz keep complaining about Captain Daimio and Captain just give orders to Roger and keep enjoying his life.

In such a story flow, Roger's sudden death was really unacceptable for me. I started reading the story henceforth with the thinking that he may again come to life or can at-least feel his presence as some dead character like Rasputin. But when I get the clue from Liz's dream friend, that Roger will not be alive again, I thought of skipping the rest of the story.

Anyway, thanks for your comment, I will read the next volumes of BPRD.