Default Hey guys.. I need some info on PROOF. Please help

I posted on the imagecomics.com forum, but couldn't get a response.. and time is kinda a factor because it's about a Christmas present so I'm hoping you guys can help

i have a very intelligent(like way above her age level) 9 year old to buy a present for. I've given her comics in the past that were meant for kids and she loved them, and even kept them in the plastic bags with boards that I gave them to her in... so there's no question that she likes comics. But what brings me here is she is obsessed with cryptozoology. I think it's because of all these bigfoot and chupacabra shows on tv. She just sent me an e-mail with pink text telling me about how the chupacabra definitely exists. I know she would love a comic about cryptids. I read the first issue of proof on comixology and I didn't see anything inappropriate, but I'm wondering if it gets worse. The genre on Wikipedia is horror. I want to pick up the first trade for her. Is there anything too scary for a kid? Is there any swearing or sex at any point? If there's swearing or sex, I can't get it.. so I need your help. I'm probably gonna start reading this myself, but I won't be able to read enough on time for Christmas to know if it's ok for her.

Please help me out guys. I'm 28 so I'm decades older than most of my cousins and I don't want to become the creepy old guy.. please help me be the cool and edgy old guy!

No swearing or sex. It is a "horror" comic, but there's nothing over the top.

It also happens to be one of my favourite series of all time.

thanks a lot man. Now i know I can get it for her. She's very mature, and she can define cryptozoology without looking it up. Does the series ever involve the loch ness monster or chupacabra? She seems to like those guys a lot

Yep - in fact a chupacabra is one of the main characters throughout.

If you're at all worried, as Proof is really written with adults in mind, you could also check out Perhapanauts from Image which stars lots of cryptids (including a bigfoot and chupacabra), and is definitely all-ages appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by murch View Post
    If you're at all worried, as Proof is really written with adults in mind, you could also check out Perhapanauts from Image which stars lots of cryptids (including a bigfoot and chupacabra), and is definitely all-ages appropriate.
    I was just gonna tell him about Perhapanauts

Proof is one of my favorite series ever. I agree that it's written with adults in mind. It's deemed horror because of the creepy nature of the book and violence in spots.

I've just skimmed through the first trade and here are the questionable items in regards to age:
    - The trade is called "Goatsucker"
    - There is kind of nudity because they show the hollowed out skin of a human who was attached by a chupacabra. There is definitely nudity in the final trade.
    - Damn is used as an adjective. The "s" word is used once
    - the cottingly fairies are naked, but not over the top naked and not sexual

As murch mentioned, Perhapanauts may be more age appropriate. I didn't get through it because it didn't interest me.
    Pull List Saga, Invincible, Walking Dead, Chew, Peter Panzerfaust, Superior Spidey, Animal Man, Aquaman, Harbinger, X-O Manowar

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 400yrs View Post
    I've just skimmed through the first trade and here are the questionable items in regards to age:
    - The trade is called "Goatsucker"
    I'm barely awake & relying on often-treacherous memory anyway, & so could certainly be wrong, but isn't that the translation of "chupacabras," pretty much? Any kid who's delved into the subject, as the 9-year-old in question clearly has, would obviously know that.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    I'm barely awake & relying on often-treacherous memory anyway, & so could certainly be wrong, but isn't that the translation of "chupacabras," pretty much? Any kid who's delved into the subject, as the 9-year-old in question clearly has, would obviously know that.
    Yes, it is, but unless you know Spanish, it's hardly ever called a "Goatsucker" here in the US. Always "chupacabra". It's not a big deal or anything. I'm just giving him the info and letting him decide if it will make him the "creepy uncle" or not.
    Pull List Saga, Invincible, Walking Dead, Chew, Peter Panzerfaust, Superior Spidey, Animal Man, Aquaman, Harbinger, X-O Manowar

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Not to be argumentative, but again, anyone who's done much reading at all about the alleged creature is going to know the derivation of the name. Rest assured I would have no idea of what the word meant otherwise. (I took Spanish in college, but I took French at the same time, so my grasp on both is really rudimentary ...)
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    Not to be argumentative, but again, anyone who's done much reading at all about the alleged creature is going to know the derivation of the name. Rest assured I would have no idea of what the word meant otherwise. (I took Spanish in college, but I took French at the same time, so my grasp on both is really rudimentary ...)
    Whatever. As a parent of two, I'm laying the info out there. I don't want my eight year old reading a trade titled "Goatsucker" no matter what she has read up on. And if her uncle gave her that, I wouldn't let her read it and yes, he'd be the creepy uncle.