Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jobs from Hell.

BANNED

Default Jobs from Hell.

We've all had bad jobs. Jobs that tick you off. That jerk you around. That make you miserable. That go above and beyond in playing havoc with you and your life. That make you so mad you just want to scream.

Well, why not do it here? Share with us your frustrating experiences from previous or current jobs. Leave the finer details out of it (Names of companies and employers) and just give us your experiences. It could be something major that caused you to leave your job. Or it could just be a minor annoyance to your everyday position.

Let us all revel in our shared misery at the 9 to 5 experiences that drove us nuts over the years.

A temp agency sent me to a job labeled "construction clean-up". The job turned out to be putting on a complete body covering plastic suit, going into giant enclosed chemical containers with high pressure hoses to clean them out...in July. I quit at lunch and had some pretty nasty words for my temp agency.
    'Dox out.

"But I think the difference is, when Democrats go crazy, they get shown the door. When Republicans go crazy they get appointed to the Science committee. " - Shawn Hopkins

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

Champions: The Conclave
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

I had a similar experience to Paradox. A temp agency sent me to work at a slaughterhouse in August.

The smell was absolutley brutal.

I didn't even make it too lunchtime before I quit.

Worked with a dozen Klan members In South Carolina as a Construction Laborer. Found out about a week into the job. But I needed it for college money..so i endured a summer.
    My webcomic Updated weekly
    My BlogSTORM/Black Panther Sabotage
    BEBOP--"Roland = pinnacle of objectivity"

Used to work in a store not far from a homeless colony near a train bridge, and many of them would come in for coffee every morning. They'd always pay in small change (naturally), and they stunk to holy heck of B.O., campfire, and beer. Probably not that bad compared to most, but the worst thing I've had to deal with outside of local college kids (Dartmouth) and their demands when I worked at Borders. Some of the most entitled people I've ever met (not all of them, in fact some worked at the store with me and were pretty damn cool and geeky).
    A Fool for the Foom

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

the tv in my office barely plays football games anymore.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

I can think of a couple. Like the company that billed itself as a social media service that I had to explain the basics of social media to. Then denied me every piece of marketing info I asked for, then complained when what I put together was devoid of any real information. And they weren't paying me, outside of fuel reimbursements.

They're not around anymore.
    The Punisher: Iím going to cauterize your rectum, sealing it shut, so when you turn those delicious Pink Pantsô Fruit Pies into waste products the bilirubin in your feces will leach into your bloodstream and youíll die screaming! And Iíll watch while having sex with this grateful prostitute!

Trussed-Up Hooker: Blueberry are my favorite!

In other words, what StoneGold said.
    -Expletive Deleted

Check out my travel site, Geekations.com

Quote Originally Posted by Monty_Cristo View Post
    the tv in my office barely plays football games anymore.
    Not a problem for me now, got the whole DirecTV football package. Only thing is, I can't watch from 8pm-11pm ET because I have to watch their crappy reality shows. After 11 though, I can watch whatever I want. Or play some video games or whatever.
    The Punisher: Iím going to cauterize your rectum, sealing it shut, so when you turn those delicious Pink Pantsô Fruit Pies into waste products the bilirubin in your feces will leach into your bloodstream and youíll die screaming! And Iíll watch while having sex with this grateful prostitute!

-Expletive Deleted

My two toughest jobs were roofing and being an ambassador for a community college.

One resulted in me going "Damn, this is really hot and brutal," and the other resulted in me spitting gum into a business office.

I've never had a temp job "from hell" but I did have one where I spent a few weeks making photocopies. That was all I did for about 5 hours a night, 5 nights a week. Makin' copies!

We brought CDs to play for each other and everyone was pretty cool. The manager told us a weird story about how Blind Melon was his favorite band and he got misty eyed thinking about what might have been had the lead singer not died. After he left we all laughed at Blind Melon.

I spent a summer before my senior year of college temping for an agency that was handling all teh case materials for a big class action lawsuit about silicon breast implants. We were processing all the case files for all the women who were part of the suit. There were some pretty damn sad pictures in some of those case files.
    "There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and some day, they will. And that's how Sue Cs it."- Sue Sylvester, "Glee"

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    A temp agency sent me to a job labeled "construction clean-up". The job turned out to be putting on a complete body covering plastic suit, going into giant enclosed chemical containers with high pressure hoses to clean them out...in July. I quit at lunch and had some pretty nasty words for my temp agency.
    did your suit have a respirator? Was it green or blue? I only got to wear the green ones.
    I'm not liberal, liberals have beliefs. I'm a democrat, the only belief I have is that republicans are wrong.

Let's free the market, so it can enslave us all

Myspace

I went to a "second interview" for a "direct marketing" job, realising too late that this meant door-to-door salesman and the wage they mentioned was only if you hit a certain threshold, but too late, I had to spend the next two hours walking around a strange town bothering strangers with some dude who was clearly writing me off. (And he was right to, but he could've been less blatant when I was watching)

That was still better than a summer spent showing people how to use the new ticket machines at a station. Everyone who thought they sucked told me they sucked, as if they thought I could personally convince the Department of Transport to not use those machines. My dad does that with call-staff - why do people do that? The front-line people aren't responsible!
    "We must fight on!"
    "We'll die. We fight and we die, that's how it goes."
    "Then we die gloriously!"
    "There's an important word there, and it's not gloriously."
    - Only You Can Save Mankind

Then there was the one where my boss threatened to beat me up. He was a big guy. But so am I. Just looked him in the eye and started laughing. Wish had thrown a punch, that would have been a fun lawsuit.

-Expletive Deleted

Woke up at 5:45am to be the first one at a summer camp, opened the doors, cleaned up the beer bottles, broken bongs and used condoms that littered the field and play area from the nights before, then spent six straight hours trying to entertain three to five year olds who would throw chairs at each other and try to bite me. When it came to the end of the summer my 'boss' said I wasn't gelling with the other camp counsellors, mostly because everyone else worked with 6 to 12 year olds while I was sequestered off in the kinder camp room. What a tool.
    Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.

roofing with a small business.

horrible safety, heatstroke, bigoted owner/slash boss, and having to climb up and down a flimsy ladder at least 10 stories for work and to do number 1 in a nasty portable. i quit before i killed myself, or worse, before my body got used to it and i had to add doing number two to the list

working with the live animals at a commercial farm.

stuck in a hot ass body suit for hours that didn't breath sweating buckets and breathing in some serious shit as we corral the younger ducks for their injections of 'medicine', occasionally injecting yourself as you quickly work (hitting bone was excruciating and only subsided after a week) making sure not to miss and brain 'em and therefore killing profit.
    collecting the dead ones, wringing the necks of the ones that won't last and put them out of their misery (one time i watched the body go flying while i still held the head), avoiding getting a broken nose as you inject the adult ones (thankfully they lived in barns with air and the breeze of outside to help with the heat, but it was best to use the masks even moreso than in the hotter holding pens of the younger ducks).
    sexing (determining the sex) of the newly hatched: female, male, euthanasia, clipping the beaks and claws of the newborns so they don't kill each other in their cramp spaces.
    collecting the bad parts, unusable dead birds (green mucus-y meat and cancerous growths according to those in the meat cutting area) and the blood and guts from the slaughterhouse and meat cutting facility of the farm along with collecting the more lucrative feathers for washing, drying, packing and shipping.
    waking up for 4 a.m. to catch a 5 a.m. cramped 1 hour van ride for a 6 a.m. start and finishing 5/6/7 p.m. ( when work is done early like 3 or 4 and having to wait until 5:30-6 for the van back to the city where we all came from).
    fun times and smells
    Last edited by 7thangel; 11-30-2012 at 04:19 PM.