Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lexrules View Post
    Funny, I happen to remember a few stories written just about the death of the Kent's in the silver age. Hymm maybe that was just me who read those. Sure it deserves it's own book. You being a Superman fan should know this.
    zero of that post made sense.

Quote Originally Posted by direction9 View Post
    if you state that superman spent this issue standing around and listening to a story then you did not read the issue
    i definitely put those words into your mouth
    That's not what I said. I said Superman didn't do much of anything besides listen, which is different than saying the only thing he did was listen. Superman did spend much of the issue listening. Everything else he did was a story told in flashback/flashforward, which were only tiny glimpses of action. Superman was a passive figure for most of the issue. I really don't think that's an inaccurate statement to make. And, no, actually this time you didn't put any words in my mouth. The words in your latest post above are all yours -- all your thoughts.

It's Lexrules... GET HIM. Lexrules's Avatar

zero of that post made sense.
    Sure it does. Whole stories have been written about the death of the Kent's in the past because it is a vital part of Superman's history. The same should be done now.

Follow the bouncing ball if that helps you to figure out what I'm trying to say.

Sure it does. Whole stories have been written about the death of the Kent's in the past because it is a vital part of Superman's history. The same should be done now.

Follow the bouncing ball if that helps you to figure out what I'm trying to say.
    stop reading comics

stop reading comics

Right away Boss.

By the way you're going in the wrong direction, just want you to know that.
    Last edited by Lexrules; 12-06-2012 at 12:57 PM.

@Lexrules

One of the things you need to take on board with regards to this overall arc is that Vinny's machinations have had adverse effects on time, so things have been changing and realigning. With that in mind, this isn't the appropriate 'place' for the Death of the Kents...

This made sense. But it's a trivial objection: "Morrison's not writing the story I want to see nor is he writing it in the way I want to see it written."

Quote Originally Posted by misslane38 View Post
    only tiny glimpses of action. Superman was a passive figure for most of the issue. I really don't think that's an inaccurate statement to make.
    go reread it.

I hate that these conversations always get dragged into the validity of our enjoyment, the implication that things aren't fun if they aren't completely banal and bland.

Some people liked it, other people didn't. Stop trying to convince each other. It's lame.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    @Lexrules

One of the things you need to take on board with regards to this overall arc is that Vinny's machinations have had adverse effects on time, so things have been changing and realigning. With that in mind, this isn't the appropriate 'place' for the Death of the Kents...
    That's fine. I just think that if not at this time then in a future issue that a whole book should be used to show the Death of the Kent's and it's affects on Clark in the weeks after. Just don't make this be the only time you see this and not go into it for a whole issue.

That's fine. I just think that if not at this time then in a future issue that a whole book should be used to show the Death of the Kent's and it's affects on Clark in the weeks after. Just don't make this be the only time you see this and not go into it for a whole issue.
    but no one needs that story. we all know that story already.

but no one needs that story. we all know that story already.
    No you don't. You haven't seen the impact it had on this Superman. You know the Silver Age Story which is a entirely different death all together.

I'm sure more on here then not would like to see a issue dedicated to this sometime down the line. Also these are new readers who have never seen anything having to do with the Kent's of the past. They deserve to have that issue as well. (geez) Talk about role reversal, I'm actually thinking of the new reader. lol

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Retro315 View Post
    Absolute joy to read.

Nimrod's greatest kill. Drekken finally gets a super-villain codename. Continuity everywhere, slipping into the cracks. A manhunt ... a 'supermanhunt' ... a billion years in the future when the sun is big and red, but what, long before any of the Sheeda would come about. A nod to K-Man's recent origin in the Annual. A Cosmic Sideshow Bob.
    The idea of the Sun's eventual death as the eventual death of Superman. Something supposedly inevitable being delayed/cancelled by something supposedly impossible.

Imagination/Human Potential vs Physics/Universal Heat Death.

To Be Continued vs The End.

I got the feeling the Nothingcoat that shattered into shards could've been the origin of the Phantom Zone. The Demon in a Box, I presume has to refer to Superdoom, but it's soooo clearly a parallel to what Darkseid recently unleashed on Bruce Wayne. A thought-weapon, a living idea that retcons nightmares into existence ... an evil Tulpa. Superdoom is supposed to be a thoughtform given life by Lantern-like technology and twisted for evil by Executives and Analysts.
    Interesting call on the Nothingcoat/Phantom Zone. I really like that interpretation.

As for the evil Tulpa/the dark twin: Yeah, Superdoom seems to be the equivalent of Dr. Hurt/Owlman. Which, to me, makes Vyndktvx more like Darkseid. And the demon in the box presumably manifests its physical form as Superdoom but in the 5th Dimension it probably looks exactly like the Hyper-Adapter.

I've been wondering about the parallels between New Gods and 5th Dimensional djinn for a while now. There's commonalities. They're alike but also very different - but I think they're likely to occur on the same higher plane. Or maybe the 4th World of the New Gods is a 4-Dimensional one and because they're "one plane higher" they can perceive and use 5-D far better than us 3-D types can (We have access to the higher planes, but it is a somewhat limited access). Certainly "Time" could be added to the makeup of the New Gods, which would explain their timelessness and immortality.
    I think this is spot on too. The New Gods are 4D, so they can perceive the 5D world better than 3D humans/supers, but they're still classed slightly below it, hence Vyndktvx's "Demon Box" being Darkseid's "Ancestor Box"--for Vyn, it's another spell, while, for Darkseid, it's the spell that creates incarnate evil like him (hence, ancestor).

I wonder who Captain Comet's "Wanderers" are.
    Presumably, the rest of the neo-Sapians. Probably from a bunch of different planets/star-systems. Remember, only 230 of Mxy's 300 worlds were destroyed, so maybe the surviving worlds are the planets that had the potential to rebound and grow new super-narratives/heroes (the Neo-Sapians). Also, since Superman is time-casting his SOS, they could presumably be related to the LoS-era Wanderers. I'd like that, especially since Captain Comet and the Oort-Kind shouldn't be restricted by time (if they haven't aged in the future but have been building an army that entire time, or if they can just time-travel).

Unreasonably Opinionated Conway's Avatar

If the forum devolves into an argument about another story (i.e. "Death of the Kents") it's a good sign that this issue was a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    -Well, I suppose it could be it, yes. Or perhaps, since the 5th dimension is the dimension of imagination, every use of imagination takes form in the 5th dimension. Thus, when Clark "imagined" the machine, it became real in the 5th dimension. And what we see in the third dimension is only an imperfect representation of what we imagined, a bit like Platon and his theory with the cave and the shadows. Of course, the 5th dimension being higher than the 4th (time), the fact Clark created the machine only a relatively short time ago doesn't prevent the fact it has "always" been there in the 5th, just like Vindktvx can try to get revenge of Clark despite him having not meeting Mxy yet.
    Yes, now we're getting somewhere, the machine may very well have been imagined into existence by Clark. Time is sometimes referred to as the 4th dimension, but there actually is such a thing theoretically as 4D mathematical space, we think in terms of the 3D world around us, it's very difficult to think of terms of a dimension higher than four. 4D space allows a 3D object to be rotated onto its mirror image, a Tesseract cube is a 4D object.

Anyway, I believe you're right in that if the machine was created by Clark, it could have "always" existed in 5D space.

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    - Well, she also mentions that her showing her true self to Clark made her reveal herself to Vindktvx. So, I'd tend to think that most of the time, she is "separated" from the 5th dimension (hence why she is "flattened"), but she can technically goes back.It's more of a self imposed exile, if you will.
    Doing so, however, reveal her "true self", and puts her on a dimensionnal plane where even The Little Man can notice her.
    The idea of the "self-imposed" exile is interesting. The way she "revealed" herself suggests that she is not truly exiled to our 3D world. She fled to our 3D world to hide from Vyn of course, I think what we see of her is a truly "flattened" version of herself, perhaps her "true" self is hiding in 4D space in order to hide from Vyn, which she can return to at any time, hence "you can only see one side of me, most of me is standing in a room in a higher mathematical dimension". It's just so difficult to connect her story in Action #15 with what she told Clark in Action #12, though.

I'm off for a while, that's about all the message board chatting I can handle for one day