Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Mild-Mannered Reporter
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    28,928

    Default REVIEW: The Fury of Firestorm: The Nuclear Man, #14

    "The Fury of Firestorm: The Nuclear Man" #14 is two issues into Dan Jurgens' revamp of the title, and it's already a big improvement over what came before. Tying it into the cancelled "Captain Atom" feels a bit risky, though.


    Full review here.

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    "The Fury of Firestorm: The Nuclear Man" #14 is two issues into Dan Jurgens' revamp of the title, and it's already a big improvement over what came before. Tying it into the cancelled "Captain Atom" feels a bit risky, though.


    Full review here.
    I agree with everything the reviewer siad. I read a few captain Adams in the 80s but I never liked them. Bringing on Captain Adam does nothing to make me want to pick this book up. I liked the issue but I think it would be nice to see more down time all the actions seem very rushed . over all it was a solid read. one thing that would have made it better is if there were more devlopement with the villians. right now they just read as prop pieces A convent device to let the hero show off how cool he is. it like star treck and the redshirts you know the characters destanies not by there actions but what they are wearing . read Grant Morrisons and Kieth giffens Doom Patrol or even Aquaman the villians in those are three dementional even when there is nothing about there past they had a reason to exsist othere the to have there battle suits turned in cute pink bunny pajamas

  3. #3
    Disciple of En Sabah Nur Harbinger of Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,079

    Default

    Its a bit early to tell but nothing greatly wows me about this title. Funnily, all the reinvention in the pre-0 issues did wow me but suffered from horrible execution. So, its the choice between good concept but bad storytelling and mediocre concept thats a bit dull. Still a bit early to tell but I think one of the problems with Captain Atoms addition is that whilst it makes sense because of the whole nuclear hero/quantum field stuff... one of the problems is that I feel a bit lost because I never read any of the nu Captain Atom. So, I have no idea what happened...

    On top of that, I think Firestorm would have benefited from using his own mythos and concepts to develop rather then jumping into Captain Atom's.
    I am Apocalypse! Look upon the future and tremble!
    I am as far beyond Mutants as they are beyond you. I am eternal.
    Evil? I am not malevolent, I simply am!

  4. #4
    Elder Member SilverZeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    11,448

    Default

    Dis is officially our/SZ last ish of FF pending nu writer & artist or cancellation.

    In our opinion Jurgen has md dis title worse right frm his low grade art which is nowhere as gr8 as EVS's/Ethan Van Sciver's right down 2 rescinding Jason in2 a talking head sidekick status....& d plots do absolutely NOTHING 2 compensate d huge drop in quality.

    As we'v said b4 EVS & Joe Harris had gr8...really gr8 ideas which gave both Jason & Ronnie collective AND individual devlpmnt as separate firestorms sharing d same protocols(Jason- transmutation while Ronnie- raw nuclear power) which was very fresh instead of d re-harshd down-trodden talking-head nonsense.

    Yeah, we get it dat not every1 liked d whole "Fury" thing but @ least it was a recurring mystery dat was building up2 sumthing & den der is d ongoing mystery of whether or not Prof. Stein is dead &/or living withing d protocols. We/SZ speculate dat d "Fury" is d sentient conscience of d big bang which is where both Ronnie & Jason draw their powers mking dem different & unique frm d rest of d Firestorms(Hurricane, Firehawk, Pozar, d terrorists, etc).

    And it wud hv been nice 2 let EVS & Harris 2 properly conclude their plotlines which were quite gd though it wasbeing draggd but still gd non-d-less b4 just hanking away from dem with a forced inconclusive issue prior Jurgen's #0 issue.

    At dis point we/SZ just want EVS & Harris bak.
    Last edited by SilverZeal; 12-01-2012 at 11:54 AM.

  5. #5
    Senior Member [Trigger]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,556

    Default

    Still too early to tell what I think of this, all I know is that Captain Atom was horribly drawn.

    All you need to know about captain atom is that he was too much for the Earth to handle so he exiled himself onto the moon.
    _______
    |____.._|
    _(_O_)_
    |______|

  6. #6
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    6,572

    Default

    Sadly I have to agree with the reviewer about Captain Atom & Co, it doesn't seem Jurgen's has read any parts of the book and only got a quick fact-sheet over them and how the book ended.

    Example;
    During one of the issues, Atom offers to rebuild Megala's crippled body but is told not to because Megala doesn't care for it and sort of sees it as an excuse for him to focus on his work. Here in FS...it appears having a functioning body is all that matters to him now.
    Granted he could have changed his mind with the events of the last CA issue, but it wouldn't just be to make him walk again (not to mention his co-workers shouldn't be so keen on making another Atom-type).

    And Dan should have remembered to add Atom's flaming hair! :S

  7. #7
    Junior Member Rawhide Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow (or Paris, France)
    Posts
    134

    Default

    True, these two past issues are a lot more readable than last year issues. But it is a pretty generic story, with pretty generic interactions between the main two characters. It is not awful but there is no a lot of surprises in it.
    I was surprised when I saw Megala. I can't see the interest of mixing Firestorm with a dead series but I liked Captain Atom, so it is fine by me. The main problem is that Captain Atom is down right ugly and they should have drawn him like in his series, with a different coloring style than the rest of the world (and the flaming hair is mysteriously missing too).
    Not a bad read but not a good one either.
    The Unwritten - iZombie
    Frankenstein Agent of SHADE - Batwoman - The Flash - Captain Atom
    X Factor - Beasts of Burden - Star Wars Invasion - Witch Doctor

  8. #8
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilverZeal View Post
    Dis is officially our/SZ last ish of FF pending nu writer & artist or cancellation.

    In our opinion Jurgen has md dis title worse right frm his low grade art which is nowhere as gr8 as EVS's/Ethan Van Sciver's right down 2 rescinding Jason in2 a talking head sidekick status....& d plots do absolutely NOTHING 2 compensate d huge drop in quality.

    As we'v said b4 EVS & Joe Harris had gr8...really gr8 ideas which gave both Jason & Ronnie collective AND individual devlpmnt as separate firestorms sharing d same protocols(Jason- transmutation while Ronnie- raw nuclear power) which was very fresh instead of d re-harshd down-trodden talking-head nonsense.

    Yeah, we get it dat not every1 liked d whole "Fury" thing but @ least it was a recurring mystery dat was building up2 sumthing & den der is d ongoing mystery of whether or not Prof. Stein is dead &/or living withing d protocols. We/SZ speculate dat d "Fury" is d sentient conscience of d big bang which is where both Ronnie & Jason draw their powers mking dem different & unique frm d rest of d Firestorms(Hurricane, Firehawk, Pozar, d terrorists, etc).

    And it wud hv been nice 2 let EVS & Harris 2 properly conclude their plotlines which were quite gd though it wasbeing draggd but still gd non-d-less b4 just hanking away from dem with a forced inconclusive issue prior Jurgen's #0 issue.

    At dis point we/SZ just want EVS & Harris bak.

    What? I honestly can't tell what you're saying half the time because you don't type in actual words. Are you on your phone or something?

    Anyhow, I'm glad this book seems to be back on track. I still wish it could pick up where BD left off. That story was interesting.

  9. #9
    Senior Member [Trigger]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,556

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrSimonHurt View Post
    What? I honestly can't tell what you're saying half the time because you don't type in actual words. Are you on your phone or something?
    Unfortunately, he types deliberately that way...
    _______
    |____.._|
    _(_O_)_
    |______|

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Sadly I have to agree with the reviewer about Captain Atom & Co, it doesn't seem Jurgen's has read any parts of the book.
    Dan should have remembered to add Atom's flaming hair! :S
    I never actually read the modern Captain Atom series but I don't blame Jergens for leaving off the flaming hair if he didn't he would have two character that had flaming heads and that would have just been confusing especially after the last creative team created so many flame heads. leaving off the hair just Made it so the old reader would not think that Atom was not another nuclear man
    Last edited by PhilipAMoore; 12-01-2012 at 04:00 PM.

  11. #11
    Elder Member SilverZeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    11,448

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by [Trigger] View Post
    Unfortunately, he types deliberately that way...
    Sigh: A male xcter in d sig doesnt equate d gender of who's posting in which case currently(given dat several of us/SZ use d same a/c) is a lady...u pumpkin!

  12. #12
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    6,572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipAMoore View Post
    I never actually read the modern Captain Atom series but I don't blame Jergens for leaving off the flaming hair if he didn't he would have two character that had flaming heads and that would have just been confusing especially after the last creative team created so many flame heads. leaving off the hair just Made it so the old reader would not think that Atom was not another nuclear man
    Well effectively Captain Atom might as well have the added title of the Quantum Man...but leaving off the hair just makes him look like the silver surfer, and they went for metallic rather than blue :S

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilverZeal View Post
    Sigh: A male xcter in d sig doesnt equate d gender of who's posting in which case currently(given dat several of us/SZ use d same a/c) is a lady...u pumpkin!
    what? I can't understand most of what your saying .

  14. #14
    Agent of SHIELD/SWORD marvelprince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,302

    Default

    I liked it well enough. Not mindblowing, but much better than the previos stuff. I'm not up on Captain Atom so I didn't really know what the status of the character was but should be interesting to have him interact with FS.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •